OREMUS: 1 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 30 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Blessed are you, God of our salvation,
we falter before the demands of your word
and turn away from your call to life.
Yet you pour out your mercy on us
as you showed mercy to your people of old,
that we may turn from our sinfulness
and walk the path of self-emptying love
made known in Jesus Christ.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
because he has anointed me.
He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
to bind up the broken-hearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
to comfort all who mourn,
To give them a garland instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,
That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.
For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.
You shall be called priests of the Lord;
they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Job 38:19-30]:

The Lord said,
'Where is the way to the dwelling of light,
   and where is the place of darkness,
that you may take it to its territory
   and that you may discern the paths to its home?
Surely you know, for you were born then,
   and the number of your days is great!

'Have you entered the storehouses of the snow,
   or have you seen the storehouses of the hail,
which I have reserved for the time of trouble,
   for the day of battle and war?
What is the way to the place where the light is distributed,
   or where the east wind is scattered upon the earth?

'Who has cut a channel for the torrents of rain,
   and a way for the thunderbolt,
to bring rain on a land where no one lives,
   on the desert, which is empty of human life,
to satisfy the waste and desolate land,
   and to make the ground put forth grass?

'Has the rain a father,
   or who has begotten the drops of dew?
>From whose womb did the ice come forth,
   and who has given birth to the hoar-frost of heaven?
The waters become hard like stone,
   and the face of the deep is frozen.'

HYMN
Words: Latin, thirteenth century; trans. Edward Caswall, 1849
Tune: Veni Sancte Spiritus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c305.html

Come, thou Holy Spirit, come,
and from thy celestial home
shed a ray of light divine!
Come, thou Father of the poor!
Come, thou Source of all our store!
Come, within our bosoms shine!

Thou, of comforters the best;
thou, the soul's most welcome guest;
sweet refreshment here below;
in our labor, rest most sweet;
grateful coolness in the heat;
solace in the midst of woe.

O most blessŠd Light divine,
shine within these hearts of thine,
and our inmost being fill!
Where thou art not, man hath naught,
nothing good in deed or thought,
nothing free from taint of ill.

Heal our wounds, our strength renew;
on our dryness pour thy dew;
wash the stains of guilt away;
bend the stubborn heart and will;
melt the frozen, warm the chill;
guide the steps that go astray.

On the faithful, who adore
and confess thee, evermore
in thy sevenfold gift descend;
give them virtue's sure reward
give them thy salvation, Lord;
give them joys that never end.

SECOND READING [Matthew 17:14-end]:

When Jesus and the disciples came to the crowd, a man came to him, knelt before him,
and said, 'Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly; he
often falls into the fire and often into the water. And I brought him to your disciples,
but they could not cure him.' Jesus answered, 'You faithless and perverse generation,
how much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I put up with you?
Bring him here to me.' And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the
boy was cured instantly. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, 'Why
could we not cast it out?' He said to them, 'Because of your little faith. For truly I tell
you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move
from here to there", and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.'

As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, 'The Son of Man is going to be
betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and on the third day he will be
raised.' And they were greatly distressed.

When they reached Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax came to Peter and
said, 'Does your teacher not pay the temple tax?' He said, 'Yes, he does.' And when
he came home, Jesus spoke of it first, asking, 'What do you think, Simon? From whom
do kings of the earth take toll or tribute? From their children or from others?' When
Peter said, 'From others', Jesus said to him, 'Then the children are free. However, so
that we do not give offence to them, go to the lake and cast a hook; take the first fish
that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a coin; take that and give it
to them for you and me.'

Under your holy wings, you gather us, O God,
and you shelter us by your grace.

Together in faith communities,
you call us share your love and mercy.
Gather us in, O God.

We give you thanks for all that gives shape to life in community:
devotion to apostolic teaching,
sharing in fellowship around your Word and Table,
continuous prayer for the world and the Church.
Gather us in, O God.

Save your Church from formless piety.
Gather us in, O God.

Help families and the leaders of households to pattern faith.
Gather us in, O God.

Choose and renew our leaders for disciple-making.
Gather us in, O God.

Uphold those who seek peace with justice.
Gather us in, O God.

Give light to all who strive to discern what is right.
Gather us in, O God.

Comfort the dying.
Gather us in, O God.

Heal the broken and suffering.
Gather us in, O God.

You brought your people out of captivity, O Lord,
and give us fresh springs from the barren rock.
Deliver us from the slavery of our sins
and bring us through the waters of redemption
to find new life in your Son,
our Saviour, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The closing prayer use phrases
from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com