OREMUS: 28 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 27 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, September 28, 2008
The Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God of our salvation,
we falter before the demands of your word
and turn away from your call to life.
Yet you pour out your mercy on us
as you showed mercy to your people of old,
that we may turn from our sinfulness
and walk the path of self-emptying love
made known in Jesus Christ.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

Benedicite (The Song of the Three 35-65)

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
bless the Lord all you his hosts;
bless the Lord you waters above the heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord sun and moon:
bless the Lord you stars of heaven;
bless the Lord all rain and dew:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all winds that blow:
bless the Lord you fire and heat;
bless the Lord scorching wind and bitter cold:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord dews and falling snows:
bless the Lord you nights and days;
bless the Lord light and darkness:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord frost and cold:
bless the Lord you ice and snow;
bless the Lord lightnings and clouds:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
O let the earth bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you mountains and hills;
bless the Lord all that grows in the ground:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord you springs:
bless the Lord you seas and rivers;
bless the Lord you whales and all that swim in the waters:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all birds of the air:
bless the Lord you beasts and cattle;
bless the Lord all people on earth:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
O people of God bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you priests of the Lord;
bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.
Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 5:7-19]:

How can I pardon you?
   Your children have forsaken me,
   and have sworn by those who are no gods.
When I fed them to the full,
   they committed adultery
   and trooped to the houses of prostitutes.
They were well-fed lusty stallions,
   each neighing for his neighbour's wife.
Shall I not punish them for these things?

says the Lord;
   and shall I not bring retribution
   on a nation such as this?

Go up through her vine-rows and destroy,
   but do not make a full end;
strip away her branches,
   for they are not the Lord's.
For the house of Israel and the house of Judah
   have been utterly faithless to me,
says the Lord.
They have spoken falsely of the Lord,
   and have said, 'He will do nothing.
No evil will come upon us,
   and we shall not see sword or famine.'
The prophets are nothing but wind,
   for the word is not in them.
Thus shall it be done to them!

Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of hosts:
Because they have spoken this word,
I am now making my words in your mouth a fire,
   and this people wood, and the fire shall devour them.
I am going to bring upon you
   a nation from far away, O house of Israel,

says the Lord.
It is an enduring nation,
   it is an ancient nation,
a nation whose language you do not know,
   nor can you understand what they say.
Their quiver is like an open tomb;
   all of them are mighty warriors.
They shall eat up your harvest and your food;
   they shall eat up your sons and your daughters;
they shall eat up your flocks and your herds;
   they shall eat up your vines and your fig trees;
they shall destroy with the sword
   your fortified cities in which you trust.

But even in those days, says the Lord, I will not make a full end of you. And when
your people say, 'Why has the Lord our God done all these things to us?' you shall say
to them, 'As you have forsaken me and served foreign gods in your land, so you shall
serve strangers in a land that is not yours.'

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892), 1867
Tune: Bishopthorpe (Jeremiah Clarke, 1743-1809)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i226.html

Immortal love, forever full,
forever flowing free,
forever shared, forever whole,
a never ebbing sea!

Our outward lips confess the name
all other names above;
love only knoweth whence it came,
and comprehendeth love.

We may not climb the heavenly steeps
to bring the Lord Christ down;
In vain we search the lowest deeps,
for him no depths can drown.

But warm, sweet, tender, even yet,
a present help is he;
and faith still has its Olivet,
and love its Galilee.

The healing of his seamless dress
is by our beds of pain;
we touch him in life's throng and press,
and we are whole again.

Through him the first fond prayers are said
our lips of childhood frame,
the last low whispers of our dead
are burdened with his Name.

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 13]:

This is the third time I am coming to you. 'Any charge must be sustained by the
evidence of two or three witnesses.' I warned those who sinned previously and all the
others, and I warn them now while absent, as I did when present on my second visit,
that if I come again, I will not be lenient  since you desire proof that Christ is
speaking in me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful in you. For he was
crucified in weakness, but lives by the power of God. For we are weak in him, but in
dealing with you we will live with him by the power of God.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are living in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you
not realize that Jesus Christ is in you? unless, indeed, you fail to pass the test! I hope
you will find out that we have not failed. But we pray to God that you may not do
anything wrong not that we may appear to have passed the test, but that you may do
what is right, though we may seem to have failed. For we cannot do anything against
the truth, but only for the truth. For we rejoice when we are weak and you are strong.
This is what we pray for, that you may become perfect. So I write these things while I
am away from you, so that when I come, I may not have to be severe in using the
authority that the Lord has given me for building up and not for tearing down.

Finally, brothers and sisters, farewell. Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree
with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you. Greet
one another with a holy kiss. All the saints greet you.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy
Spirit be with all of you.

We are called to be united in conviction and in love. Together let us bring our prayers
to the Lord.

We pray for those affected by the financial problems in our world today; for all those
whose homes, jobs and security are threatened: may we learn to work together for the
common good. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray in this harvest season for farmers and all who work on the land and to bring
food to our table: may we always be thankful to the Lord for all his gifts, and may we
strive for a fairer sharing of the world's resources. Lord, in your mercy, hear
our prayer.

We pray, as we prepare for the work of the agencies who work to bring aid to those
who live in poverty: may we be generous in our giving to our brothers and sisters in
need. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those children in China whose health has been damaged by contaminated
milk, and for their families: may they have the support and care they need to recover.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for all those killed in the shootings in Finland this week, and for their families
and friends: may they know peace with God. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

Heavenly Father, in his great love your Son Jesus Christ accepted death on the cross
for our salvation. We ask you to hear the prayers that we make through the same
Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O merciful God,
that your people may have that mind
that was in Christ Jesus, who emptied himself,
and took the form of a servant,
and in humility became obedient even to death.
For you have highly exalted him
and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
Jesus Christ, the Lord;
one God, in everlasting glory. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The closing prayer use phrases
from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.