OREMUS: 27 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 26 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, September 27, 2008

Blessed are you, God of miracles and of mercy,
all creation sings your praise,
for your grace is extravagant and unexpected.
You lead us to repentance
and the acceptance of your grace,
that we may witness to your love,
which embraces both those we call friend
and those we call stranger.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Job 25:2-6; 26:6-14]:

Bildad the Shuhite answered:
'Dominion and fear are with God;
   he makes peace in his high heaven.
Is there any number to his armies?
   Upon whom does his light not arise?
How then can a mortal be righteous before God?
   How can one born of woman be pure?
If even the moon is not bright
   and the stars are not pure in his sight,
how much less a mortal, who is a maggot,
   and a human being, who is a worm!'

And Job answered:
'Sheol is naked before God,
   and Abaddon has no covering.
He stretches out Zaphon over the void,
   and hangs the earth upon nothing.
He binds up the waters in his thick clouds,
   and the cloud is not torn open by them.
He covers the face of the full moon,
   and spreads over it his cloud.
He has described a circle on the face of the waters,
   at the boundary between light and darkness.
The pillars of heaven tremble,
   and are astounded at his rebuke.
By his power he stilled the Sea;
   by his understanding he struck down Rahab.
By his wind the heavens were made fair;
   his hand pierced the fleeing serpent.
These are indeed but the outskirts of his ways;
   and how small a whisper do we hear of him!
   But the thunder of his power who can understand?'

HYMN
Words: Words: Jean-Baptiste de Santeil, 1686;
trans. Isaac Williams, 1836,
Tune: Hanover, Old 104th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/d/d054.html

Disposer supreme, and Judge of the earth,
who choosest for thine the weak and the poor;
to frail earthen vessels, and things of no worth,
entrusting thy riches which ay shall endure.

Those vessels soon fail, though full of thy light,
and at thy decree are broken and gone;
thence brightly appeareth the arm of thy might,
as through the clouds breaking the lightnings have shone.

Like clouds are they borne to do thy great will,
and swift as the winds about the world go:
the Word with his wisdom their spirits doth fill;
they thunder, they lighten, the waters o'erflow.

Their sound goeth forth, "Christ Jesus is Lord!"
Then Satan doth fear, his citadels fall;
as when the dread trumpets went forth at thy word,
and on the ground lieth the Canaanite's wall.

O loud be their trump, and stirring their sound,
to rouse us, O Lord, from sin's deadly sleep.
May lights which thou kindlest in darkness around
the dull soul awaken her vigils to keep!

All honor and praise, dominion and might,
to God, Three in One, eternally be,
who round us hath shed his own marvelous light,
and called us from darkness his glory to see.

SECOND READING [Matthew 16:1-12]:

The Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test Jesus they asked him to show them a
sign from heaven. He answered them, 'When it is evening, you say, "It will be fair
weather, for the sky is red." And in the morning, "It will be stormy today, for the sky
is red and threatening." You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you
cannot interpret the signs of the times. An evil and adulterous generation asks for a
sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.' Then he left them and
went away.

When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread. Jesus
said to them, 'Watch out, and beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.'
They said to one another, 'It is because we have brought no bread.' And becoming
aware of it, Jesus said, 'You of little faith, why are you talking about having no bread?
Do you still not perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves for the five thousand,
and how many baskets you gathered? Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and
how many baskets you gathered? How could you fail to perceive that I was not
speaking about bread? Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees!' Then
they understood that he had not told them to beware of the yeast of bread, but of the
teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

God of all time,
we bless you for the gift of this day
and for our hope in Christ Jesus.
In the midst of all that demands our attention,
free us to love you with all our hearts
and to love the world with your mercy and justice.

Let our love be genuine:
Kyrie eleison

Let our affections be tempered with holiness:
Kyrie eleison

Let our desires be shaped by the vision
of a new heaven and a new earth:
Kyrie eleison

Let our actions reflect the balance of love
for your reign in all things:
Kyrie eleison

Let our perceptions and feelings be ordered
by the hope we have in Christ:
Kyrie eleison

Lord God, just and true,
you make your salvation known in the sight of the nations;
let the song of our hearts echo the music of your creation,
as you come among us to judge the earth
in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Teach us your ways of justice, O Lord,
and lead us to practice your generosity.  Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.