OREMUS: 26 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 25 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, September 26, 2008
Wilson Carlile, Founder of the Church Army, 1942

Blessed are you, God of miracles and of mercy,
all creation sings your praise,
for your grace is extravagant and unexpected.
You lead us to repentance
and the acceptance of your grace,
that we may witness to your love,
which embraces both those we call friend
and those we call stranger.

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

Psalm 86

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2.5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
but he did not cling to equality with God.
He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
and was born in our human likeness.
Being found in human form he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted him,
and bestowed on him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth;
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 24:1-4, 12-20]:

Job answered:
'Why are times not kept by the Almighty,
   and why do those who know him never see his days?
The wicked remove landmarks;
   they seize flocks and pasture them.
They drive away the donkey of the orphan;
   they take the widow's ox for a pledge.
They thrust the needy off the road;
   the poor of the earth all hide themselves.
>From the city the dying groan,
   and the throat of the wounded cries for help;
   yet God pays no attention to their prayer.

'There are those who rebel against the light,
   who are not acquainted with its ways,
   and do not stay in its paths.
The murderer rises at dusk
   to kill the poor and needy,
   and in the night is like a thief.
The eye of the adulterer also waits for the twilight,
   saying, "No eye will see me";
   and he disguises his face.
In the dark they dig through houses;
   by day they shut themselves up;
   they do not know the light.
For deep darkness is morning to all of them;
   for they are friends with the terrors of deep darkness.

'Swift are they on the face of the waters;
   their portion in the land is cursed;
   no treader turns towards their vineyards.
Drought and heat snatch away the snow-waters;
   so does Sheol those who have sinned.
The womb forgets them;
   the worm finds them sweet;
they are no longer remembered;
   so wickedness is broken like a tree.'

HYMN
Words: Sabine Baring-Gould, 1864
Tune: St. Gertrude

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o812.html

Onward, Christian soldiers,
marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus
going on before!
Christ, the royal Master,
leads against the foe;
forward into battle,
see, his banners go.
Refrain:
Onward, Christian soldiers,
marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus
going on before!

At the sign of triumph
Satan's host doth flee;
on then, Christian soldiers,
on to victory!
Hell's foundations quiver
at the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices,
loud your anthems raise. Refrain

Like a mighty army
moves the Church of God;
Brothers, we are treading
where the saints have trod;
we are not divided,
all one body we,
one in hope and doctrine,
one in charity. Refrain

What the saints established
that I hold for true.
what the saints believŠd,
that I believe too.
Long as earth endureth,
men the faith will hold,
kingdoms, nations, empires,
in destruction rolled. Refrain

Crown and thrones may perish,
kingdoms rise and wane,
but the Church of Jesus
constant will remain;
gates of hell can never
'gainst that Church prevail;
we have Christ's own promise,
and that cannot fail. Refrain

Onward, then, ye people,
join our happy throng;
blend with ours your voices
in the triumph song:
glory, laud, and honor,
unto Christ the King;
this through countless ages
men and angels sing. Refrain

SECOND READING [Matthew 15:21-end]:

Jesus left that place and went away to the district of Tyre and Sidon. Just then a
Canaanite woman from that region came out and started shouting, 'Have mercy on
me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is tormented by a demon.' But he did not
answer her at all. And his disciples came and urged him, saying, 'Send her away, for
she keeps shouting after us.' He answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of the
house of Israel.' But she came and knelt before him, saying, 'Lord, help me.' He
answered, 'It is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs.' She said,
'Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.' Then
Jesus answered her, 'Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish.'
And her daughter was healed instantly.

After Jesus had left that place, he passed along the Sea of Galilee, and he went up the
mountain, where he sat down. Great crowds came to him, bringing with them the
lame, the maimed, the blind, the mute, and many others. They put them at his feet, and
he cured them, so that the crowd was amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the
maimed whole, the lame walking, and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of
Israel.

Then Jesus called his disciples to him and said, 'I have compassion for the crowd,
because they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat; and I do
not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way.' The disciples
said to him, 'Where are we to get enough bread in the desert to feed so great a
crowd?' Jesus asked them, 'How many loaves have you?' They said, 'Seven, and a
few small fish.' Then ordering the crowd to sit down on the ground, he took the seven
loaves and the fish; and after giving thanks he broke them and gave them to the
disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. And all of them ate and were
filled; and they took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. Those who had
eaten were four thousand men, besides women and children. After sending away the
crowds, he got into the boat and went to the region of Magadan.

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

God of grace,
you loved the world so much
that you gave your only Son to be our Savior.
Help us to rejoice in our salvation
by showing mercy and truth,
and by walking in the way of righteousness and peace.
We ask this in his Name and for his sake. Amen.

Almighty God,
by whose grace Wilson Carlile, kindled with the fire of your love,
became a burning and a shining light in the Church:
inflame us with the same spirit of discipline and love,
that we may ever walk before you as children of light;

Teach us your ways of justice, O Lord,
and lead us to practice your generosity.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Wilson Carlile was born in 1847 in Brixton. He suffered from a spinal
weakness all his life, which hampered his education. He entered his
grandfather's business at the age of thirteen but soon moved on and learned
French fluently, which he used to good advantage in France trading in silk. He
later learned German and Italian to enhance his business but was ruined in the
slump of 1873. After a serious illness, he began to treat his religion more
seriously and became confirmed in the Church of England. He acted as organist
to Ira D Sankey during the Moody and Sankey missions and, in 1881, was
ordained priest, serving his curacy at St Mary Abbots in Kensington, together
with a dozen other curates. The lack of contact between the Church and the
working classes was a cause of real concern to him and he began outdoor
preaching. In 1882, he resigned his curacy and founded the Church Army, four
years after the founding of the Salvation Army. Under his influence it thrived
and he continued to take part in its administration until a few weeks before his
death on this day in 1942. [Exciting Holiness]