OREMUS: 24 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 23 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blessed are you, God of miracles and of mercy,
all creation sings your praise,
for your grace is extravagant and unexpected.
You lead us to repentance
and the acceptance of your grace,
that we may witness to your love,
which embraces both those we call friend
and those we call stranger.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

A Song of Praise (Revelation 4.11; 5.9b,10)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.
For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.
You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Job 18:5-7, 14-21]:

Then Bildad the Shuhite answered:
'Surely the light of the wicked is put out,
   and the flame of their fire does not shine.
The light is dark in their tent,
   and the lamp above them is put out.
Their strong steps are shortened,
   and their own schemes throw them down.
They are torn from the tent in which they trusted,
   and are brought to the king of terrors.
In their tents nothing remains;
   sulphur is scattered upon their habitations.
Their roots dry up beneath,
   and their branches wither above.
Their memory perishes from the earth,
   and they have no name in the street.
They are thrust from light into darkness,
   and driven out of the world.
They have no offspring or descendant among their people,
   and no survivor where they used to live.
They of the west are appalled at their fate,
   and horror seizes those of the east.
Surely such are the dwellings of the ungodly,
   such is the place of those who do not know God.'

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1714
Tune: Monmouth, Old 113th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i209.html

I'll praise my Maker while I've breath,
and when my voice is lost in death,
praise shall employ my nobler powers;
my days of praise shall ne'er be past,
while life, and thought, and being last,
or immortality endures.

Why should I make a man my trust?
Princes must die and turn to dust;
vain is the help of flesh and blood:
their breath departs, their pomp, and power,
and thoughts, all vanish in an hour,
nor can they make their promise good.

Happy the man whose hopes rely
on Israel's God: he made the sky,
and earth, and seas, with all their train;
his truth for ever stands secure,
he saves th'oppressed, he feeds the poor,
and none shall find his promise vain.

The Lord has eyes to give the blind;
the Lord supports the sinking mind;
he sends the laboring conscience peace;
he helps the stranger in distress,
the widow, and the fatherless,
and grants the prisoner sweet release.

He loves his saints, he knows them well,
but turns the wicked down to hell;
thy God, O Zion! ever reigns:
Let every tongue, let every age,
in this exalted work engage;
praise him in everlasting strains.

I'll praise him while he lends me breath,
and when my voice is lost in death,
praise shall employ my nobler powers;
my days of praise shall ne'er be past,
while life, and thought, and being last,
or immortality endures.

SECOND READING [Matthew 14:13-21]:

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other
side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went
up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but by
this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land, for the wind was
against them. And early in the morning he came walking towards them on the lake.
But when the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified, saying, 'It is a
ghost!' And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said,
'Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.'

Peter answered him, 'Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.' He
said, 'Come.' So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came
towards Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and
beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Jesus immediately reached out his
hand and caught him, saying to him, 'You of little faith, why did you doubt?' When
they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshipped him, saying,
'Truly you are the Son of God.'

When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret. After the people of that
place recognized him, they sent word throughout the region and brought all who were
sick to him, and begged him that they might touch even the fringe of his cloak; and all
who touched it were healed.

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Give to us, O God, a heart of joy,
that rests in your peace
and a soul of tranquility that delights in your beauty;
a spirit of glory that sings your praise,
a life of serenity at home in your presence
and a mind of quietness renewed by your Spirit;

Teach us your ways of justice, O Lord,
and lead us to practice your generosity.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and the collect is by Evelyn Underhill.