OREMUS: 21 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 20 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, September 21, 2008
Saint Matthew the Evangelist

Blessed are you, God of love,
for in Christ your Son
you revealed your compassion for humankind
and in mercy you invite sinners
to sit at the banquet of your kingdom.
We give you thanks for Matthew,
who responded to the call of Christ
and made him welcome in his house.
Changed and renewed by the coming of the Lord,
he dedicated himself to proclaiming
your wonderful works of salvation.
Blessed be God for ever

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
 because he has anointed me.

He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
 to bind up the broken-hearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,
 and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
 to comfort all who mourn,

To give them a garland instead of ashes,
 the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
 the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,

That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
 the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
 and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
 blossom before all the nations.

You shall be called priests of the Lord
 they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Chronicles 29:9-17]:

Then the people rejoiced because these had given willingly, for with single mind they
had offered freely to the Lord; King David also rejoiced greatly.

Then David blessed the Lord in the presence of all the assembly; David said: 'Blessed
are you, O Lord, the God of our ancestor Israel, for ever and ever. Yours, O Lord, are
the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the
heavens and on the earth is yours; yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted
as head above all. Riches and honour come from you, and you rule over all. In your
hand are power and might; and it is in your hand to make great and to give strength to
all. And now, our God, we give thanks to you and praise your glorious name.

'But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to make this
freewill-offering? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you.
For we are aliens and transients before you, as were all our ancestors; our days on the
earth are like a shadow, and there is no hope. O Lord our God, all this abundance that
we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand
and is all your own. I know, my God, that you search the heart, and take pleasure in
uprightness; in the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and
now I have seen your people, who are present here, offering freely and joyously to
you.'

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Es flog ein kleins Waldv"gelein

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f260.html

>From all the wind's wide quarters,
come, see the feast is spread,
of soul-sustaining waters,
of true and living bread;
of sorrows long-departed,
and joys beyond compare--
come, poor and humble-hearted,
the feast of life to share!

With mercy all-prevailing,
God bids the wanderer come;
in grace and peace unfailing
invites the children home.
With loving-kindness tender,
God frees us from our sins--
in glory and in splendor
the feast of life begins!

Come, claim the promise spoken!
God's purpose stands secure.
The fruitful word unbroken
shall evermore endure.
All ancient bondage ended
to sin's corrupting powers--
forgiven, freed, befriended,
the feast of life is ours!

SECOND READING [Romans 10:1-15]:

Brothers and sisters, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be
saved. I can testify that they have a zeal for God, but it is not enlightened. For, being
ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own,
they have not submitted to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law so
that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Moses writes concerning the righteousness that comes from the law, that 'the person
who does these things will live by them.' But the righteousness that comes from faith
says, 'Do not say in your heart, "Who will ascend into heaven?" ' (that is, to bring
Christ down) 'or "Who will descend into the abyss?" ' (that is, to bring Christ up from
the dead). But what does it say?
'The word is near you,
   on your lips and in your heart'
(that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); because if you confess with your lips that
Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be
saved. For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the
mouth and so is saved. The scripture says, 'No one who believes in him will be put to
shame.' For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of
all and is generous to all who call on him. For, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the
Lord shall be saved.'

But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to
believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without
someone to proclaim him? And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? As
it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'

O God, your word has gone out to all the world
through the witness of your Evangelists and your Church.

Empower your Church always to proclaim
the saving message of the Gospel.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

May the Holy Spirit who inspired your evangelist Matthew
be our guide into all truth.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

Bless those who work through translation and publishing
to make the faith more widely known.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

May all our living fulfill the teaching of the Gospel.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

Bless our reading of Scripture
and lead us always into new paths of understanding.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

May those who loved the word of truth in this world
rejoice for ever in the presence of the living Word.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

O Almighty God,
whose blessed Son called Matthew the tax-collector
to be an apostle and evangelist
give us grace to forsake the selfish pursuit of gain
 and the possessive love of riches
that we may follow in the way of your Son Jesus Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _Leading
Intercessions_ by Raymond Chapman, 2000.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

Hymn (c) 1985 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The closing sentence are adapted from collects in _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common
Texts

One day Jesus was walking and saw a tax collector named Matthew sitting at a
tax collection post, and said to him, "Follow me." And Matthew stood up and
followed him, and became one of his twelve apostles. Tax collectors in those
days were social outcasts. Devout Jews avoided them because they were
usually dishonest (the job carried no salary, and they were expected to make
their profits by cheating the people from whom they collected taxes). Patriotic
and nationalistic Jews hated them because they were agents of the Roman
government, the conquerors, and hated them with a double hatred if (like
Matthew) they were Jews, because they had gone over to the enemy, had
betrayed their own people for money. Thus, throughout the Gospels, we find
tax collectors (publicans) mentioned as a standard type of sinful and despised
outcast. Matthew brought many of his former associates to meet Jesus, and
social outcasts in general were shown that the love of Jesus extended even to
them.
The name "Matthew" means "gift of the LORD." Mark and Luke, in the story
of his calling, name him "Levi." Perhaps this was his original name, and he
received a new name from Jesus when he became a disciple. (It has also been
suggested that he was simply a member of the tribe of Levi.)
Of Matthew's life after Pentecost the Scriptures tell us nothing. Later accounts
of his life vary, some reporting that he was martyred, others that he died a
natural death. The Christian community since early times has commemorated
him as a martyr.
Whether the Apostle Matthew is also the Evangelist Matthew -- that is,
whether the Apostle Matthew wrote the Gospel that bears his name -- is
disputed. The Gospel itself does not say who wrote it, but the designation
"according to Matthew" is very old. [James Kiefer, abridged]