OREMUS: 19 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 18 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, September 19, 2008
Theodore of Tarsus, Archbishop of Canterbury, 690

in Christ the walls that divide are broken down,
the chains that enslave are thrown aside,
and we are freed from death and despair
to life and hope,
liberated from hate and war
and empowered to love and seek peace.

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?*
 and are so far from my cry
   and from the words of my distress?
O my God, I cry in the daytime,
   but you do not answer;*
 by night as well, but I find no rest.
Yet you are the Holy One,*
 enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
Our forebears put their trust in you;*
 they trusted and you delivered them.
They cried out to you and were delivered;*
 they trusted in you and were not put to shame.
But as for me, I am a worm and no man,*
 scorned by all and despised by the people.
All who see me laugh me to scorn;*
 they curl their lips and wag their heads, saying,
'He trusted in the Lord; let him deliver him;*
 let him rescue him, if he delights in him.'
Yet you are he who took me out of the womb,*
 and kept me safe upon my mother's breast.
I have been entrusted to you ever since I was born;*
 you were my God
   when I was still in my mother's womb.
Be not far from me, for trouble is near,*
 and there is none to help.
Many young bulls encircle me;*
 strong bulls of Bashan surround me.
They open wide their jaws at me,*
 like a ravening and a roaring lion.
I am poured out like water;
   all my bones are out of joint;*
 my heart within my breast is melting wax.
My mouth is dried out like a pot-sherd;
   my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;*
 and you have laid me in the dust of the grave.
Packs of dogs close me in,
   and gangs of evildoers circle around me;*
 they pierce my hands and my feet;
   I can count all my bones.
They stare and gloat over me;*
 they divide my garments among them;
   they cast lots for my clothing.
Be not far away, O Lord;*
 you are my strength; hasten to help me.
Save me from the sword,*
 my life from the power of the dog.
Save me from the lion's mouth,*
 my wretched body from the horns of wild bulls.
I will declare your name to my people;*
 in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.
Praise the Lord, you that fear him;*
 stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
   all you of Jacob's line, give glory.
For he does not despise nor abhor
   the poor in their poverty;
   neither does he hide his face from them;*
 but when they cry to him he hears them.
My praise is of him in the great assembly;*
 I will perform my vows
   in the presence of those who worship him.
The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
   and those who seek the Lord shall praise him:*
 'May your heart live for ever!'
All the ends of the earth
   shall remember and turn to the Lord,*
 and all the families of the nations
   shall bow before him.
For kingship belongs to the Lord;*
 he rules over the nations.
To him alone all who sleep in the earth
   bow down in worship;*
 all who go down to the dust fall before him.
My soul shall live for him;
   my descendants shall serve him;*
 they shall be known as the Lord's for ever.
They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn*
 the saving deeds that he has done.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 11:7-end]:

Then Zophar the Naamathite answered:
'Can you find out the deep things of God?
   Can you find out the limit of the Almighty?
It is higher than heaven what can you do?
   Deeper than Sheol what can you know?
Its measure is longer than the earth,
   and broader than the sea.
If he passes through, and imprisons,
   and assembles for judgement, who can hinder him?
For he knows those who are worthless;
   when he sees iniquity, will he not consider it?
But a stupid person will get understanding,
   when a wild ass is born human.

'If you direct your heart rightly,
   you will stretch out your hands towards him.
If iniquity is in your hand, put it far away,
   and do not let wickedness reside in your tents.
Surely then you will lift up your face without blemish;
   you will be secure, and will not fear.
You will forget your misery;
   you will remember it as waters that have passed away.
And your life will be brighter than the noonday;
   its darkness will be like the morning.
And you will have confidence, because there is hope;
   you will be protected and take your rest in safety.
You will lie down, and no one will make you afraid;
   many will entreat your favour.
But the eyes of the wicked will fail;
   all way of escape will be lost to them,
   and their hope is to breathe their last.'

HYMN
Words: Katharina Amalia Dorothea von Schlegel (born 1697),
trans. Jane Laurie Borthwick (1813-1897)
Tune: Finlandia

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b017.html

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to thy God to order and provide;
in every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
to guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
all now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
his voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
and all is darkened in the vale of tears,
then shalt thou better know his love, his heart,
who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay,
from his own fulness, all he takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
when we shall be forever with the Lord,
when disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored,.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
all safe and bless‚d we shall meet at last.

SECOND READING [Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43]:

Jesus put before them another parable: 'The kingdom of heaven may be compared to
someone who sowed good seed in his field; but while everybody was asleep, an enemy
came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. So when the plants
came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. And the slaves of the
householder came and said to him, "Master, did you not sow good seed in your field?
Where, then, did these weeds come from?" He answered, "An enemy has done this."
The slaves said to him, "Then do you want us to go and gather them?" But he replied,
"No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. Let
both of them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers,
Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat
into my barn." '

Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples approached him,
saying, 'Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.' He answered, 'The one
who sows the good seed is the Son of Man; the field is the world, and the good seed
are the children of the kingdom; the weeds are the children of the evil one, and the
enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers
are angels. Just as the weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the
end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his
kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and they will throw them into the furnace
of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will
shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Let anyone with ears listen!

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Father,
your tortured Son felt abandoned,
and cried out in anguish from the cross,
yet you delivered him
He overcame the bonds of death
and rose in triumph from the grave.
Do not hide your face from those who cry to you:
feed the hungry,
strengthen the weak,
and break the chains of the oppressed,
that your people may rejoice in your saving deeds.
This we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Almighty God,
you called your servant Theodore of Tarsus
from Rome to the see of Canterbury,
and gave him gifts of grace and wisdom
to establish unity where there had been division,
and order where there had been chaos:
Create in your Church,
by the operation of your Holy Spirit,
such godly union and concord
that it may proclaim, both by word and example,
the Gospel of the Prince of Peace;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Let your peace, O God,
fill our hearts, our world, our universe. Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Walter Farquahrson and a prayer by
Satish Kumar. The closing prayer uses a sentence from the same prayer by Kumar.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded England, they drove the native Celtic
inhabitants north into Scotland and west into Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall.
The Anglo-Saxons were subsequently converted to Christianity by Celtic
missionaries from the north and west, and Roman and Gallic missionaries from
the south and east. As a result, they ended up with two different "flavors" of
Christianity. The difference was expressed mainly in the form of a
disagreement about the proper method for calculating the date of Easter, a
disagreement which we may suspect was a stand-in for other disagreements a
little more difficult to articulate. In 663, a council was called to settle the
dispute, the Synod of Whitby. It decided in favor of the Roman or continental
way of doing things.
Soon after, the Archbishop of Canterbury died, and the English elected a
successor, Wighard, and sent him to Rome to be consecrated by the Pope.
Wighard died in Rome before he could be consecrated, and the Pope (Vitalian)
took it upon himself to choose a man to fill the vacancy. He consecrated
Theodore of Tarsus (the native city of the Apostle Paul), a learned monk (not a
priest) from the East then living in Rome, 65 years old. This surprising choice
turned out to be a very good one. Theodore was (as Bede put it in his
Ecclesiastical History) "the first archbishop whom all the English obeyed."
Having made a tour of his charge, Theodore filled the vacant bishoprics and in
672 presided over the first council of the entire English Churh, at Hertford. He
established definite territorial boundaries for the various dioceses, and founded
new dioceses where needed. He found the Church of England an unorganized
missionary body, and left it a fully ordered province of the universal Church.
The body of canon law drawn up under his supervision, and his structure of
dioceses and parishes, survived the turmoil of the sixteenth and seventeenth
centuries and are substantially intact today.
He founded a school at Canterbury that trained Christians from both the Celtic
and the Roman traditions, and did much to unite the two groups. The school
was headed by Adrian, an abbot born in Africa but later resident in Italy, who
had been the Pope's first choice for Archbishop, but who had refused and
recommended Theodore instead. Adrian was learned in the Scriptures, a good
administrator, and fluent in Latin and Greek. The school taught Bible, theology
and sacred studies, Latin and Greek (Bede alleges that some of the students
knew these languages as well as they knew English), poetry, astronomy, and
calendar calculation (of some importance for political reasons, as stated
above). Adrian died 9 January 710. Theodore died 19 September 690, being 88
years old. [James Kiefer]