OREMUS: 12 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 11 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, September 12, 2008
John Henry Hobart, Bishop of New York, 1830

who shaped creation at earth's chaotic dawn,
who framed us in your image;
your goodness is revealed in mercy and compassion,
you touch us with tenderness,
and broken hearts are healed.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Christ the Servant 1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.
He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.
When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.
Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 1:13-end]:

One day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in the eldest
brother's house, a messenger came to Job and said, 'The oxen were ploughing and the
donkeys were feeding beside them, and the Sabeans fell on them and carried them off,
and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; I alone have escaped to tell you.'
While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'The fire of God fell from heaven
and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; I alone have escaped
to tell you.' While he was still speaking, another came and said, 'The Chaldeans
formed three columns, made a raid on the camels and carried them off, and killed the
servants with the edge of the sword; I alone have escaped to tell you.' While he was
still speaking, another came and said, 'Your sons and daughters were eating and
drinking wine in their eldest brother's house, and suddenly a great wind came across
the desert, struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and
they are dead; I alone have escaped to tell you.'

Then Job arose, tore his robe, shaved his head, and fell on the ground and worshipped.
He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there; the
Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.'

In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrongdoing.

HYMN
Words: Horatio R. Palmer (1834-1907), 1868

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y033.html

Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin;
each victory will help you some other to win;
fight manfully onward, dark passions subdue,
look ever to Jesus, he'll carry you through.
Refrain:
Ask the Savior to help you,
comfort, strengthen and keep you;
he is willing to aid you,
he will carry you through.

Shun evil companions, bad language disdain,
God's Name hold in reverence, nor take it in vain;
be thoughtful and earnest, kindhearted and true,
look ever to Jesus, he'll carry you through. Refrain

To him that o'ercometh, God giveth a crown;
Through faith we shall conquer, though often cast down;
He Who is our Savior our strength will renew;
Look ever to Jesus, He'll carry you through. Refrain

SECOND READING [Matthew 11:2-19]:

When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples
and said to him, 'Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?'
Jesus answered them, 'Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their
sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the
poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offence at
me.'

As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: 'What did you go
out into the wilderness to look at? A reed shaken by the wind? What then did you go
out to see? Someone dressed in soft robes? Look, those who wear soft robes are in
royal palaces. What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more
than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written,
"See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
   who will prepare your way before you."
Truly I tell you, among those born of women no one has arisen greater than John the
Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of
John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the
violent take it by force. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John came;
and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. Let anyone with ears
listen!

'But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the
market-places and calling to one another,
"We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
   we wailed, and you did not mourn."
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He has a demon"; the Son of
Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend
of tax-collectors and sinners!" Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.'

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Revive your Church, Lord God of hosts,
whenever it falls into complacency and sloth,
by raising up devoted leaders,
like your servant John Henry Hobart
whom we remember today;
and grant that their faith and vigor of mind
may awaken your people
to your message and their mission;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by William Watkins Reid, Jr..

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from
_Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

After the American Revolution and the Independence of the United States, the Episcopal
Church, under public suspicion in many quarters because of its previous association with
the British government, did very little for about twenty years. John Hobart was one of the
men who changed this.
John Henry Hobart was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 14 September 1775, the son of
a ship's captain. He was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton
University, ordained deacon in 1798 and priest in 1801. Called as assistant minister to
Trinity Church, New York, in 1803, at age 36 he was elected assistant bishop of the
diocese in 1811, becoming diocesan in 1816.
Hobart was particularly concerned with promoting vocations to the ordained ministry and
founded two institutions: a college in Geneva (later Hobart College) and General
Theological Seminary in New York City, breaking his health to get both off the ground.

He not only looked after the Diocese of New York (46,000 square miles and virtual
wilderness west and north of Albany) he served as rector of Trinity Parish, the wealthiest
and most influential church in the country. He also had oversight of the dioceses of
Connecticut and New Jersey.
Hobart died on September 12, 1830 at the age of 55, and is buried under the chancel of
Trinity Church, New York. [Cynthia McFarland, abridged]