OREMUS: 11 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Sep 10 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, September 11, 2008

who shaped creation at earth's chaotic dawn,
who framed us in your image;
your goodness is revealed in mercy and compassion,
you touch us with tenderness,
and broken hearts are healed.

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-5,18,19,21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you,
Who are being protected by the power of God through faith,
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold
But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.
Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Job 1:1-12]:

There was once a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. That man was blameless
and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. There were born to him
seven sons and three daughters. He had seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels,
five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred donkeys, and very many servants; so that this
man was the greatest of all the people of the east. His sons used to go and hold feasts
in one another's houses in turn; and they would send and invite their three sisters to
eat and drink with them. And when the feast days had run their course, Job would
send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer
burnt-offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, 'It may be that my
children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.' This is what Job always did.

One day the heavenly beings came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan
also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, 'Where have you come from?' Satan
answered the Lord, 'From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and
down on it.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Have you considered my servant Job? There is
no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns
away from evil.' Then Satan answered the Lord, 'Does Job fear God for nothing?
Have you not put a fence around him and his house and all that he has, on every side?
You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the
land. But stretch out your hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will curse you
to your face.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Very well, all that he has is in your power; only
do not stretch out your hand against him!' So Satan went out from the presence of the
Lord.

HYMN
Words: Vincent Uher (c) 1995
Tune: Old 124th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/uher15.html

Lord Jesus Christ, lead us, your little flock.
We all would journey to your promised land.
Increase our faith to trust you, Christ our Rock,
whose living waters quench the deserts' thirst.
Now to those waters guide us by your hand.

We do confess our selfish, prideful ways
serving our own wants not our neighbours' need.
Yet at this hour we turn from yesterdays
and sing a new song full of faith and hope.
Do, Lord, forgive and wash us clean indeed.

Our hearts' own treasure and our highest joy,
Jesus, we praise you, Saviour and our Lord.
Our souls and bodies, all our lives employ.
We sacrifice to you our wealth and power.
May what we give help others find you, Lord.

In that new city coming from above,
Lord, to your high feast we would gladly come.
For that great day, the triumph of your love,
we stand on guard with all your angels now.
Lord Christ, we pray to see your kingdom come.
SECOND READING [Matthew 10:32-11:1]:

Jesus said, 'Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will
acknowledge before my Father in heaven; but whoever denies me before others, I also
will deny before my Father in heaven.

'Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring
peace, but a sword.
For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
and one's foes will be members of one's own household.
Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves
son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the
cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and
those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

'Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one
who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a
prophet's reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a
righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a
cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple truly I tell you,
none of these will lose their reward.'

Now when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to
teach and proclaim his message in their cities.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the Church, for ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

O God, grant us a vision of our city, fair as she might be;
a city of jusice, where none shall prey on others;
a city of plenty, where vice and poverty shall cease to fester;
a city of brotherhood, where all success shall be founded on service,
and honor shall be given to nobleness alone;
a city of peace, where order shall not rest on force,
but on the love of all for the city, the great mother of our common life and weal.
Hear, O Lord, the silent prayer of all our hearts
as we each pledge our time and strength and thought
to speed the day of her coming in beauty and righteousness. Amen.

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by William Watkins Reid, Jr..

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

The collect is by Walter Rauschenbusch