OREMUS: 10 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 9 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 10, 2008

who shaped creation at earth's chaotic dawn,
who framed us in your image;
your goodness is revealed in mercy and compassion,
you touch us with tenderness,
and broken hearts are healed.

Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.

Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.
You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.

A Song of the Spirit (Revelation 22:12-14,16,17)

'Behold, I am coming soon', says the Lord,
'and bringing my reward with me, .
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, .
the beginning and the end.'
Blessed are those who do God's commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, .
and may enter into the city through the gates.
'I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, .
with this testimony for all the churches.
'I am the root and the offspring of David, .
I am the bright morning star.'
'Come!' say the Spirit and the Bride; .
'Come!' let each hearer reply.
Come forward, you who are thirsty, .
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 44:1-15]:

Let us now sing the praises of famous men,
   our ancestors in their generations.
The Lord apportioned to them great glory,
   his majesty from the beginning.
There were those who ruled in their kingdoms,
   and made a name for themselves by their valour;
those who gave counsel because they were intelligent;
   those who spoke in prophetic oracles;
those who led the people by their counsels
   and by their knowledge of the people's lore;
   they were wise in their words of instruction;
those who composed musical tunes,
   or put verses in writing;
rich men endowed with resources,
   living peacefully in their homes
all these were honoured in their generations,
   and were the pride of their times.
Some of them have left behind a name,
   so that others declare their praise.
But of others there is no memory;
   they have perished as though they had never existed;
they have become as though they had never been born,
   they and their children after them.
But these also were godly men,
   whose righteous deeds have not been forgotten;
their wealth will remain with their descendants,
   and their inheritance with their children's children.
Their descendants stand by the covenants;
   their children also, for their sake.
Their offspring will continue for ever,
   and their glory will never be blotted out.
Their bodies are buried in peace,
   but their name lives on generation after generation.
The assembly declares their wisdom,
   and the congregation proclaims their praise.

HYMN
Words: Marianne Farningham, 1887
Tune: Elmhurst

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j256.html

Just as I am, thine own to be,
Friend of the young, who lovest me,
to consecrate myself to thee,
O Jesus Christ, I come.

In the glad morning of my day,
my life to give, my vows to pay,
with no reserve and no delay,
with all my heart I come.

I would live ever in the light,
I would work ever for the right;
I would serve thee with all my might;
therefore, to thee I come.

Just as I am, young, strong, and free,
to be the best that I can be
for truth, and righteousness, and thee,
Lord of my life, I come.

With many dreams of fame and gold,
success and joy to make me bold,
but dearer still my faith to hold,
for my whole life, I come.

And for thy sake to win renown,
and then to take the victor's crown,
and at thy feet to cast it down,
O Master, Lord, I come.

SECOND READING [Matthew 10:16-31]:

Jesus said, 'See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise
as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of them, for they will hand you over to
councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors
and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you
over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you
are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit
of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father
his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you
will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be
saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you
will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

'A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master; it is enough for the
disciple to be like the teacher, and the slave like the master. If they have called the
master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his
household!

'So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and
nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the
light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those
who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul
and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall
to the ground unperceived by your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all
counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.'

Let us pray for the grace to recognize
the presence of God in our lives.

Open our eyes to see your salvation;
reveal yourself to a blind humanity.

Make your face shine upon those who live with disease;
give them your strength and your peace.

Let all who are weighed down by want come to know your bounty;
that they may put their trust in your goodness.

To those who hold power and riches, grant a discerning spirit;
that they may be set free by your freedom and love.

Give to us, O Lord,
a quiet mind, furnished with peaceful thoughts,
patient words and gentle deeds.
May we have a lively faith, a firm hope and fervent love.
Take from us all lukewarmness of spirit and all dullness in prayer,
and grant that we may labor for that which we ask of you;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by William Watkins Reid, Jr..

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

The intercession is based on a prayer in _In Spirit and In Truth_, (c) World
Council of Churches, 1991. The collect is by Thomas More.