OREMUS: 7 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 6 17:24:27 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, September 7, 2008
The Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost

who shaped creation at earth's chaotic dawn,
who framed us in your image;
your goodness is revealed in mercy and compassion,
you touch us with tenderness,
and broken hearts are healed.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13.4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
love is not jealous or boastful,
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way,
it is not angry or resentful.
It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things and believes all things;
love hopes all things and endures all things.
Love will never come to an end,
but prophecy will vanish,
tongues cease and knowledge pass away.
Now we know only in part
and we prophesy only in part,
But when the perfect comes,
the partial shall pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
But when I became mature,
I put an end to childish ways.
For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see face to face.
Now I know only in part;
then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known.
There are three things that last for ever,
faith, hope and love,
but the greatest of these is love.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 33:1-9]:

The word of the Lord came to me: O Mortal, speak to your people and say to them, If
I bring the sword upon a land, and the people of the land take one of their number as
their sentinel; and if the sentinel sees the sword coming upon the land and blows the
trumpet and warns the people; then if any who hear the sound of the trumpet do not
take warning, and the sword comes and takes them away, their blood shall be upon
their own heads. They heard the sound of the trumpet and did not take warning; their
blood shall be upon themselves. But if they had taken warning, they would have saved
their lives. But if the sentinel sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, so
that the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any of them, they are
taken away in their iniquity, but their blood I will require at the sentinel's hand.

So you, mortal, I have made a sentinel for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a
word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, 'O
wicked ones, you shall surely die', and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn
from their ways, the wicked shall die in their iniquity, but their blood I will require at
your hand. But if you warn the wicked to turn from their ways, and they do not turn
from their ways, the wicked shall die in their iniquity, but you will have saved your life.

HYMN
Words: Sarah Adams, 1841
Tune: Bethany

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n007a.html

Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!
E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me,
still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to thee.

Refrain:
Nearer, my God, to thee,
nearer to thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
darkness be over me, my rest a stone.
yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God to thee. Refrain

There let the way appear, steps unto heav'n;
all that thou sendest me, in mercy given;
angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to thee. Refrain

Then, with my waking thoughts bright with thy praise,
out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise;
so by my woes to be nearer, my God, to thee. Refrain

Or, if on joyful wing cleaving the sky,
sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I'll fly,
still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to thee. Refrain

There in my Father's home, safe and at rest,
there in my Savior's love, perfectly blest;
age after age to be, nearer my God to thee. Refrain

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:37-end]:

Jesus said, 'For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and
giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the
flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will
be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake
therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this:
if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he
would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore
you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.

'Who then is the faithful and wise slave, whom his master has put in charge of his
household, to give the other slaves their allowance of food at the proper time? Blessed
is that slave whom his master will find at work when he arrives. Truly I tell you, he
will put that one in charge of all his possessions. But if that wicked slave says to
himself, "My master is delayed", and he begins to beat his fellow-slaves, and eats and
drinks with drunkards, the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not
expect him and at an hour that he does not know. He will cut him in pieces and put
him with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

The Lord calls us to love one another as he has loved us. In faith and love, let us bring
our prayers to God.

We pray for the people of the Caribbean and the southern United States who have
been affected by storms: may those who have died know peace with God, and may
those whose lives need rebuilding be given the support and resources they need. Lord,
in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the peoples of Georgia and Russia: for a peaceful resolution of the
tensions in that region.Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of Pakistan, facing political unrest and violence in their
country: that the elections may lead to a time of peace, justice and stability. Lord, in
your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for all those taking part in the Paralympic Games as they begin in Beijing this
weekend, that this may be an occasion of deepening international friendships and
understanding; and for people with disabilities throughout the world, that they may be
given equal rights and opportunities, together with the support they may need to lead
full and independent lives. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those throughout the world who live in poverty, especially all whose lives
are made more difficult by the current economic problems; for a fairer sharing of the
world's resources. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, we believe that you are here among us as we make our prayers to
you. We ask you to hear our prayers, which we make through your Son, Jesus Christ
our Lord. Amen.

O God,
you know us to be set in the midst
of so many and so great dangers
that by reason of the frailty of our nature
we cannot always stand upright:
Grant to us such strength and protection
as may support us in all dangers
and carry us through all temptations;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by William Watkins Reid, Jr..

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers