OREMUS: 6 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 5 17:51:58 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, September 6, 2008
Allen Gardiner, founder of the South American Missionary Society, 1851

the One whome we seek together,
the Life which is part of us all,
the Truth and the mark of mystery,
the Love and the Joy that makes us whole.
Blessed are you, O God:

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (Isaiah 66.10,11a,12a,12c,13a,14a,b)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,
all you who love her,' says the Lord.
'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,
'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'
For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.
'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;
'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 43:1-12]:

The pride of the higher realms is the clear vault of the sky,
   as glorious to behold as the sight of the heavens.
The sun, when it appears, proclaims as it rises
   what a marvellous instrument it is, the work of the Most High.
At noon it parches the land,
   and who can withstand its burning heat?
A man tending a furnace works in burning heat,
   but three times as hot is the sun scorching the mountains;
it breathes out fiery vapours,
   and its bright rays blind the eyes.
Great is the Lord who made it;
   at his orders it hurries on its course.

It is the moon that marks the changing seasons,
   governing the times, their everlasting sign.
>From the moon comes the sign for festal days,
   a light that wanes when it completes its course.
The new moon, as its name suggests, renews itself;
   how marvellous it is in this change,
a beacon to the hosts on high,
   shining in the vault of the heavens!

The glory of the stars is the beauty of heaven,
   a glittering array in the heights of the Lord.
On the orders of the Holy One they stand in their appointed places;
   they never relax in their watches.
Look at the rainbow, and praise him who made it;
   it is exceedingly beautiful in its brightness.
It encircles the sky with its glorious arc;
   the hands of the Most High have stretched it out.

HYMN
Words: George Matheson, 1882
Tune: St. Margaret

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o478.html

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
that in thine ocean depths its flow
may richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
my heart restores its borrowed ray,
that in thy sunshine's blaze its day
may brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
and feel the promise is not vain,
that morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
and from the ground there blossoms red
life that shall endless be.

SECOND READING [Matthew 9:9-17]:

As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth; and
he said to him, 'Follow me.' And he got up and followed him.

And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were
sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his
disciples, 'Why does your teacher eat with tax-collectors and sinners?' But when he
heard this, he said, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who
are sick. Go and learn what this means, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." For I have
come to call not the righteous but sinners.'

Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, 'Why do we and the Pharisees fast
often, but your disciples do not fast?' And Jesus said to them, 'The wedding-guests
cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? The days will come
when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast. No one sews a
piece of unshrunk cloth on an old cloak, for the patch pulls away from the cloak, and a
worse tear is made. Neither is new wine put into old wineskins; otherwise, the skins
burst, and the wine is spilled, and the skins are destroyed; but new wine is put into
fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved.'

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

Lord God, whom we worship in the beauty of holiness,
receive our prayer;
as we tell out your salvation
and declare your glory to all nations,
that all the earth may see your righteous deeds
and glorify your holy name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Allen Gardiner carried the good news of your Son
to the people of South America,
grant that we who commemorate his service
may know the hope of the gospel in our hearts
and manifest its light in all our ways;

Faithful God, hope of the oppressed, source of freedom:
make us strong to witness to your liberating power,
in generosity of life and in humility of spirit,
that all the world may delight in your goodness.  Amen.

The canticle and first collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Colin Gibson.

The closing prayer is based on a prayer from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.

Allen Francis Gardiner was born in 1794 and joined the Royal Navy as a young
man. He resigned in 1826 and, on the death of his wife in 1834, dedicated
himself to missionary work. He pioneered a mission to the Zulus in South
Africa for the Church Missionary Society and founded the city of Durban. He
then went to South America to investigate the possibility of evangelism
amongst the indigenous tribes. He travelled extensively and founded the South
American Missionary Society in 1844. With seven other missionaries, he died
of starvation in 1851 on the shores of Tierra del Fuego. [Exciting Holiness]