OREMUS: 5 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 4 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, September 5, 2008
Mother Teresa of Calcutta, 1997

the One whome we seek together,
the Life which is part of us all,
the Truth and the mark of mystery,
the Love and the Joy that makes us whole.
Blessed are you, O God:

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
You have crushed Rahab of the deep with a deadly wound;*
 you have scattered your enemies with your mighty arm.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Happy are the people who know the festal shout!*
 they walk, O Lord, in the light of your presence.
They rejoice daily in your name;*
 they are jubilant in your righteousness.
For you are the glory of their strength,*
 and by your favour our might is exalted.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;
For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.
Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.
We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,
And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,
Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.
God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.
Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 42:15-21]:

I will now call to mind the works of the Lord,
   and will declare what I have seen.
By the word of the Lord his works are made;
   and all his creatures do his will.
The sun looks down on everything with its light,
   and the work of the Lord is full of his glory.
The Lord has not empowered even his holy ones
   to recount all his marvellous works,
which the Lord the Almighty has established
   so that the universe may stand firm in his glory.
He searches out the abyss and the human heart;
   he understands their innermost secrets.
For the Most High knows all that may be known;
   he sees from of old the things that are to come.
He discloses what has been and what is to be,
   and he reveals the traces of hidden things.
No thought escapes him,
   and nothing is hidden from him.
He has set in order the splendours of his wisdom;
   he is from all eternity one and the same.
Nothing can be added or taken away,
   and he needs no one to be his counsellor.

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray, alt.
Tune: Rhuddlan

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g203.html

God of freedom, God of justice,
God whose love is strong as death,
God who saw the dark of prison,
God who knew the price of faith:
touch our world of sad oppression
with your Spirit's healing breath.

Rid the earth of torture's terror,
God whose hands were nailed to wood;
hear the cries of pain and protest,
God who shed the tears and blood;
move in us the power of pity,
restless for the common good.

Make in us a captive conscience
quick to hear, to act, to plead;
make us truly sisters, brothers,
of whatever race or creed:
teach us to be fully human,
open to each other's need.

SECOND READING [Matthew 8:18-9:8]:

Now when Jesus saw great crowds around him, he gave orders to go over to the other
side. A scribe then approached and said, 'Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.'
And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son
of Man has nowhere to lay his head.' Another of his disciples said to him, 'Lord, first
let me go and bury my father.' But Jesus said to him, 'Follow me, and let the dead
bury their own dead.'

And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. A gale arose on the lake, so
great that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they
went and woke him up, saying, 'Lord, save us! We are perishing!' And he said to
them, 'Why are you afraid, you of little faith?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds
and the sea; and there was a dead calm. They were amazed, saying, 'What sort of man
is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him?'

When he came to the other side, to the country of the Gadarenes, two demoniacs
coming out of the tombs met him. They were so fierce that no one could pass that
way. Suddenly they shouted, 'What have you to do with us, Son of God? Have you
come here to torment us before the time?' Now a large herd of swine was feeding at
some distance from them. The demons begged him, 'If you cast us out, send us into
the herd of swine.' And he said to them, 'Go!' So they came out and entered the
swine; and suddenly, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and
perished in the water. The swineherds ran off, and on going into the town, they told
the whole story about what had happened to the demoniacs. Then the whole town
came out to meet Jesus; and when they saw him, they begged him to leave their
neighbourhood. And after getting into a boat he crossed the water and came to his
own town.

And just then some people were carrying a paralysed man lying on a bed. When Jesus
saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, 'Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.' Then
some of the scribes said to themselves, 'This man is blaspheming.' But Jesus,
perceiving their thoughts, said, 'Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is
easier, to say, "Your sins are forgiven", or to say, "Stand up and walk"? But so that
you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins' he then
said to the paralytic 'Stand up, take your bed and go to your home.' And he stood
up and went to his home. When the crowds saw it, they were filled with awe, and they
glorified God, who had given such authority to human beings.

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

Make us worthy, Lord,
to serve our sisters and our brothers
throughout the world who live and die
in poverty and hunger.
Give them, through our hands,
this day their daily bread,
and by our understanding love,
give peace and joy. Amen.

God of compassion,
you regard the forsaken
and give hope to the crushed in spirit
give us grace like your servant Mother Teresa
to hear those who cry to you in distress,
that they may be joined to the company
of those who raise a song of thanksgiving
to your glory, O Father,
through the Son and in the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Faithful God, hope of the oppressed, source of freedom:
make us strong to witness to your liberating power,
in generosity of life and in humility of spirit,
that all the world may delight in your goodness.  Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Colin Gibson.

The closing prayer is based on a prayer from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The first collect is by Mother Teresa