OREMUS: 4 September 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Sep 3 17:26:50 GMT 2008

OREMUS for , 2008

the One whome we seek together,
the Life which is part of us all,
the Truth and the mark of mystery,
the Love and the Joy that makes us whole.
Blessed are you, O God:

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42.5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;
Who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it,
'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind,
'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.
'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 38:24-end]:

The wisdom of the scribe depends on the opportunity of leisure;
and he who has little business may become wise.
How can he become wise who handles the plow,
and who glories in the shaft of a goad,
who drives oxen and is occupied with their work,
and whose talk is about bulls?
He sets his heart on plowing furrows,
and he is careful about fodder for the heifers.
So too is every craftsman and master workman
who labors by night as well as by day;
those who cut the signets of seals,
each is diligent in making a great variety;
he sets his heart on painting a lifelike image,
and he is careful to finish his work.
So too is the smith sitting by the anvil,
intent upon his handiwork in iron;
the breath of the fire melts his flesh,
and he wastes away in the heat of the furnace;
he inclines his ear to the sound of the hammer,
and his eyes are on the pattern of the object.
He sets his heart on finishing his handiwork,
and he is careful to complete its decoration.
So too is the potter sitting at his work
and turning the wheel with his feet;
he is always deeply concerned over his work,
and all his output is by number.
He moulds the clay with his arm
and makes it pliable with his feet;
he sets his heart to finish the glazing,
and he is careful to clean the furnace.
All these rely upon their hands,
and each is skilful in his own work.
Without them a city cannot be established,
and men can neither sojourn nor live there.
Yet they are not sought out for the council of the people,
nor do they attain eminence in the public assembly.
They do not sit in the judge's seat,
nor do they understand the sentence of judgment;
they cannot expound discipline or judgment,
and they are not found using proverbs.
But they keep stable the fabric of the world,
and their prayer is in the practice of their trade.

HYMN
Words: Clifford Bax, 1919
Tune: Old 124th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t811.html

Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways.
old now is earth, and none may count her days.
yet thou, her child, whose head is crowned with flame,
still wilt not hear thine inner God proclaim,
"Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways."

Earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.
age after age their tragic empires rise,
built while they dream, and in that dreaming weep:
would man but wake from out his haunted sleep,
earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.

Earth shall be fair, and all her people one:
nor till that hour shall God's whole will be done.
Now, even now, once more from earth to sky,
peals forth in joy man's old undaunted cry:
"Earth shall be fair and all her folk be one!"

SECOND READING [Matthew 8:14-27]:

When Jesus entered Peter's house, he saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever;   he touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she got up and began to serve him.    That evening they brought to him many who were possessed with demons; and he cast out the spirits with a word, and cured all who were sick. This was to fulfill what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah, "He took our infirmities and bore our diseases."
Now when Jesus saw great crowds around him, he gave orders to go over to the other side.  A scribe then approached and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."  And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."
Another of his disciples said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."  But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."  And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him.

A windstorm arose on the sea, so great that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep.  And they went and woke him up, saying, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!" And he said to them, "Why are you afraid, you of little faith?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a dead calm.  They were amazed, saying, "What sort of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him?"

Lord of our lives,
we have decided to follow Jesus
and have chosen to be in your Kingdom.
Give us courage, discernment and an unwavering faith.

We pray for your Church throughout the world,
Shed forth your spirit of discipleship upon us.

When we are uncertain,
reveal a vision.

When we are passive,
light a fire.

When we are tempted,
send your Spirit.

Enfold us in your love,
wrap us about with assurance
and infuse us with determination,
that we may be true disciples
and all the world may see the love of Jesus Christ in us. Amen.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

Faithful God, hope of the oppressed, source of freedom:
make us strong to witness to your liberating power,
in generosity of life and in humility of spirit,
that all the world may delight in your goodness.  Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Colin Gibson.

The closing prayer is based on a prayer from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com