OREMUS: 1 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 31 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, November 1, 2008
All Saints' Day

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for surrounding with so great a cloud of witnesses:
For all the saints
who went before us,
who have spoken to our hearts
and touched us with your fire:
For all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weaknesses and strengths
are woven with our own:
For all the saints,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them:

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Wisdom 5:1-5, 14-16]:

The righteous will stand with great confidence
in the presence of those who have oppressed them
and those who make light of their labours.
When the unrighteous see them, they will be shaken with dreadful fear,
and they will be amazed at the unexpected salvation of the righteous.
They will speak to one another in repentance,
and in anguish of spirit they will groan, and say,
'These are persons whom we once held in derision
and made a byword of reproach fools that we were!
We thought that their lives were madness
and that their end was without honour.
Why have they been numbered among the children of God?
And why is their lot among the saints?
Because the hope of the ungodly is like thistledown carried by the wind,
and like a light frost driven away by a storm;
it is dispersed like smoke before the wind,
and it passes like the remembrance of a guest who stays but a day.

But the righteous live for ever,
and their reward is with the Lord;
the Most High takes care of them.
Therefore they will receive a glorious crown
and a beautiful diadem from the hand of the Lord,
because with his right hand he will cover them,
and with his arm he will shield them.

HYMN
Words: Rowland Hill, 1783
Tune: Sandys Psalm 8

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l194.html

Lo! round the throne, a glorious band,
the saints in countless myriads stand,
of every tongue redeemed to God,
arrayed in garments washed in blood.

Through tribulation great they came;
they bore the cross, despised the shame;
from all their labors now they rest,
in God's eternal glory blest.

They see their Savior face to face,
and sing the triumphs of his grace;
him day and night they ceaseless praise,
to him the loud thanksgiving raise:

"Worthy the Lamb, for sinners slain,
through endless years to live and reign;
thou hast redeemed us by thy blood,
and made us kings and priests to God."

O may we tread the sacred road
that saints and holy martyrs trod;
wage to the end the glorious strife,
and win, like them, a crown of life.

SECOND READING [Revelation 21:1-4, 22-22:5]:

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had
passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
'See, the home of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them;
they will be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them;
he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the first things have passed away.'

I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth
will bring their glory into it. Its gates will never be shut by day and there will be no
night there. People will bring into it the glory and the honour of the nations. But
nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practises abomination or falsehood, but
only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from
the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On
either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its
fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Nothing
accursed will be found there any more. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be
in it, and his servants will worship him; they will see his face, and his name will be on
their foreheads. And there will be no more night; they need no light of lamp or sun, for
the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign for ever and ever.

God of the ages,
we praise you for all your servants,
who have done justice, loved mercy,
and walked humbly with their God.
For apostles and martyrs and saints
of every time and place,
who in life and death have witnessed to your truth,
- we praise you, O God.

For all your servants who have faithfully served you,
witnessed bravely, and died in faith,
who are still shining lights in the world,
- we praise you, O God.

For those no longer remembered,
who earnestly sought after you in darkness,
who held fast their faith in trial,
and served others,
- we praise you, O God.

For those who have known and loved,
who by their faithful obedience and steadfast hope,
have shown the same mind that was in Christ Jesus,
- we praise you, O God.

Keep us grateful for their witness,
and, like them, eager to follow in the way of Christ.
Then at the last, bring us with them
to share in the inheritance of the saints in light;
through Jesus Christ
the pioneer and perfecter of our faith,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have knit together your elect
in one communion and fellowship
in the mystical body of your Son Christ our Lord:
Give us grace so to follow your blessed saints
in all virtuous and godly living,
that we may come to those ineffable joys
you have prepared for those who truly love you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Then is sung the Te Deum or
Holy God, we praise thy Name

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as the Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all praise,
the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the King of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin's womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God's right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving includes a prayer by Janet Morley
in _Bread of Tomorrow_, (c) 1992, Christian
Aid/SPCK.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to
the use of The Episcopal Church_.