OREMUS: 31 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 30 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, October 31, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
We praise you for creating this world in all beauty,
for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord,
and for sending us the gift of your Spirit
to encourage, instruct, and sustain us.
We long for your Spirit to work among us now,
to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth,
and to equip us for service in your world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;
For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.
Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.
We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,
And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,
Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.
God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.
Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 8:11-end]:

Take care that you do not forget the Lord your God, by failing to keep his
commandments, his ordinances, and his statutes, which I am commanding you today.
When you have eaten your fill and have built fine houses and live in them, and when
your herds and flocks have multiplied, and your silver and gold is multiplied, and all
that you have is multiplied, then do not exalt yourself, forgetting the Lord your God,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, who led you
through the great and terrible wilderness, an arid waste-land with poisonous snakes
and scorpions. He made water flow for you from flint rock, and fed you in the
wilderness with manna that your ancestors did not know, to humble you and to test
you, and in the end to do you good. Do not say to yourself, 'My power and the might
of my own hand have gained me this wealth.' But remember the Lord your God, for it
is he who gives you power to get wealth, so that he may confirm his covenant that he
swore to your ancestors, as he is doing today. If you do forget the Lord your God and
follow other gods to serve and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall
surely perish. Like the nations that the Lord is destroying before you, so shall you
perish, because you would not obey the voice of the Lord your God.

HYMN

Words, verses 1-4: Philip Doddridge, 1736;
verse 5: unknown Scottish author

Music: Burford, Stracathro, Dundee, Martyrdom

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o172.html

O God of Bethel, by whose hand
thy people still are fed;
who through this earthly pilgrimage
hast all our fathers led:

Our vows, our prayers, we now present
before thy throne of grace:
O God of Israel, be the God
of their succeeding race.

Through each perplexing path of life
our wandering footsteps guide;
give us each day our daily bread,
and raiment fit provide.

O spread thy covering wings around,
till all our wanderings cease,
and at our Father's loved abode
our souls arrive in peace!

Such blessings from thy gracious hand
our humble prayers implore;
and thou shalt be our covenant God
and portion evermore.

SECOND READING [Matthew 26:57-end]:

Those who had arrested Jesus took him to Caiaphas the high priest, in whose house
the scribes and the elders had gathered. But Peter was following him at a distance, as
far as the courtyard of the high priest; and going inside, he sat with the guards in order
to see how this would end. Now the chief priests and the whole council were looking
for false testimony against Jesus so that they might put him to death, but they found
none, though many false witnesses came forward. At last two came forward and said,
'This fellow said, "I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three
days." ' The high priest stood up and said, 'Have you no answer? What is it that they
testify against you?' But Jesus was silent. Then the high priest said to him, 'I put you
under oath before the living God, tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.' Jesus
said to him, 'You have said so. But I tell you,
>From now on you will see the Son of Man
   seated at the right hand of Power
   and coming on the clouds of heaven.'
Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, 'He has blasphemed! Why do we still
need witnesses? You have now heard his blasphemy. What is your verdict?' They
answered, 'He deserves death.' Then they spat in his face and struck him; and some
slapped him, saying, 'Prophesy to us, you Messiah! Who is it that struck you?'

Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A servant-girl came to him and said,
'You also were with Jesus the Galilean.' But he denied it before all of them, saying, 'I
do not know what you are talking about.' When he went out to the porch, another
servant-girl saw him, and she said to the bystanders, 'This man was with Jesus of
Nazareth.' Again he denied it with an oath, 'I do not know the man.' After a little
while the bystanders came up and said to Peter, 'Certainly you are also one of them,
for your accent betrays you.' Then he began to curse, and he swore an oath, 'I do not
know the man!' At that moment the cock crowed. Then Peter remembered what Jesus
had said: 'Before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.' And he went out and
wept bitterly.

Gracious God and Father,
you have given your Son for us all,
that his death might be our life
and his affliction our peace.

We pray for the suffering...
the hungry....
the refugees....
the prisoners....
the persecuted....
all who bring sin and suffering to others....
ministries of care and relief....
the Church in all its work, especially

Gracious God and Father, we give you thanks

for the cross of Christ at the heart of creation,
the presence of Christ in our weakness and strength,
the power of Christ to transform our suffering....

for all ministries of healing,
all agencies of relief,
all that sets men free from pain, fear and distress....

for the assurance that your mercy knows no limit,
and for the privilege of sharing
your work of renewal through prayer.

In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us to trust your love, to serve your purpose
and to praise your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our Father,
from your goodness we receive gifts without measure,
your peace which flows like a river,
and our life's journey, made whole by your love
show in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer in _The Worship Sourcebook_,
(c) 2004, CRC Publications. Used with permission. The closing prayer is Revelation
1:5-6, NRSV

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central Communications
Board. The collect is adapted from one found in ICEL translation of the Roman Missal,
1973.