OREMUS: 30 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 29 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, October 30, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
We praise you for creating this world in all beauty,
for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord,
and for sending us the gift of your Spirit
to encourage, instruct, and sustain us.
We long for your Spirit to work among us now,
to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth,
and to equip us for service in your world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42.5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;
Who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it,
'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind,
'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.
'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 8:1-10]:

This entire commandment that I command you today you must diligently observe, so
that you may live and increase, and go in and occupy the land that the Lord promised
on oath to your ancestors. Remember the long way that the Lord your God has led
you these forty years in the wilderness, in order to humble you, testing you to know
what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commandments. He
humbled you by letting you hunger, then by feeding you with manna, with which
neither you nor your ancestors were acquainted, in order to make you understand that
one does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of the
Lord. The clothes on your back did not wear out and your feet did not swell these
forty years. Know then in your heart that as a parent disciplines a child so the Lord
your God disciplines you. Therefore keep the commandments of the Lord your God,
by walking in his ways and by fearing him. For the Lord your God is bringing you into
a good land, a land with flowing streams, with springs and underground waters welling
up in valleys and hills, a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and
pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey, a land where you may eat bread
without scarcity, where you will lack nothing, a land whose stones are iron and from
whose hills you may mine copper. You shall eat your fill and bless the Lord your God
for the good land that he has given you.

HYMN
Words: Oliver W. Holmes (1809-1894)
Tune: Uffingham

Thou gracious Power, whose mercy lends
The light of home, the smile of friends,
Our gathered flock Thine arms enfold,
As in the peaceful days of old.

Wilt Thou not hear us while we raise,
In sweet accord of solemn praise,
The voices that have mingled long
In joyous flow of mirth and song?

For all the blessings life has brought,
For all its sorrowing hours have taught,
For all we mourn, for all we keep,
The hands we clasp, the loved that sleep,

The noontide sunshine of the past,
These brief, bright moments fading fast,
The stars that gild our darkening years,
The twilight ray from holier spheres,

We thank Thee, Father; let Thy grace
Our loving circle still embrace,
Thy mercy shed its heavenly store,
Thy peace be with us evermore.

SECOND READING [Matthew 26:47-56]:

While Jesus was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, arrived; with him was a large
crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. Now
the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, 'The one I will kiss is the man; arrest him.'
At once he came up to Jesus and said, 'Greetings, Rabbi!' and kissed him. Jesus said to
him, 'Friend, do what you are here to do.' Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and
arrested him. Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and
struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, 'Put your
sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you
think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve
legions of angels? But how then would the scriptures be fulfilled, which say it must
happen in this way?' At that hour Jesus said to the crowds, 'Have you come out with
swords and clubs to arrest me as though I were a bandit? Day after day I sat in the
temple teaching, and you did not arrest me. But all this has taken place, so that the
scriptures of the prophets may be fulfilled.' Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local, especially....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

As we plan and make decisions,
God be our way.
As we learn and ask questions,
God be our truth.
As we grow and as we change,
God be our life. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer in _The Worship Sourcebook_,
(c) 2004, CRC Publications. Used with permission. The closing prayer is Revelation
1:5-6, NRSV

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central Communications
Board. The collect is by Ruth Burgess.