OREMUS: 29 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 28 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 29, 2008
James Hannington, Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa, Martyr in Uganda, 1885

Blessed are you, O God.
We praise you for creating this world in all beauty,
for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord,
and for sending us the gift of your Spirit
to encourage, instruct, and sustain us.
We long for your Spirit to work among us now,
to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth,
and to equip us for service in your world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b)

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.
Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;
Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.
The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.
Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.
The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.
You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.
No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;
But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.
For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 7:6-13]:

For you are a people holy to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you
out of all the peoples on earth to be his people, his treasured possession.

It was not because you were more numerous than any other people that the Lord set
his heart on you and chose you for you were the fewest of all peoples. It was
because the Lord loved you and kept the oath that he swore to your ancestors, that the
Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you from the house of
slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the Lord your
God is God, the faithful God who maintains covenant loyalty with those who love him
and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations, and who repays in their own
person those who reject him. He does not delay but repays in their own person those
who reject him. Therefore, observe diligently the commandment the statutes and the
ordinances that I am commanding you today.

If you heed these ordinances, by diligently observing them, the Lord your God will
maintain with you the covenant loyalty that he swore to your ancestors; he will love
you, bless you, and multiply you; he will bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of
your ground, your grain and your wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the
issue of your flock, in the land that he swore to your ancestors to give you.

HYMN
Words: Arthur Campbell Aigner (1841-1919), 1894
Tune: Purpose, Benson

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g179a.html

God is working his purpose out
as year succeeds to year:
God is working his purpose out,
and the time is drawing near;
nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

>From utmost east to utmost west,
wherever foot hath trod,
by the mouth of many messengers
goes forth the voice of God;
give ear to me, ye continents,
ye isles, give ear to me,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

What can we do to work God's work,
to prosper and increase
the brotherhood of all mankind--
the reign of the Prince of Peace?
What can we do to hasten the time--
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

March we forth in the strength of God,
with the banner of Christ unfurled,
that the light of the glorious gospel of truth
may shine throughout the world:
fight we the fight with sorrow and sin
to set their captives free,
that earth may filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

All we can do is nothing worth
unless God blessed the deed;
vainly we hope for the harvest-tide
till God gives life to the seed;
yet nearer and nearer draws the time,
the time that shall surely be,
when the earth shall be filled
with the glory of God
as the waters cover the sea.

SECOND READING [Matthew 26:31-46]:

Jesus said to the disciplies, 'You will all become deserters because of me this night; for
it is written,
"I will strike the shepherd,
   and the sheep of the flock will be scattered."
But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.' Peter said to him, 'Though
all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you.' Jesus said to him, 'Truly
I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.' Peter
said to him, 'Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.' And so said all the
disciples.

Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples,
'Sit here while I go over there and pray.' He took with him Peter and the two sons of
Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. Then he said to them, 'I am deeply
grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me.' And going a little
farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, let this
cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want.' Then he came to the
disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, 'So, could you not stay awake
with me one hour? Stay awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial;
the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.' Again he went away for the second
time and prayed, 'My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.'
Again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So leaving them
again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. Then he
came to the disciples and said to them, 'Are you still sleeping and taking your rest?
See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get
up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand.'

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Gracious God,
you have made us fellow citizens with the saints
in the city of eternal light.
In the time of storm, when the foundations shake,
teach us to wait in silence
on your steadfast and transforming love,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O God,
that we who this day commemorate
your servant James Hannington and his fellow-martyrs of Uganda,
may, by their courage and devotion, be stirred up
to a deeper love of our Savior
and to perseverance in the Christian calling;

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer in _The Worship Sourcebook_,
(c) 2004, CRC Publications. Used with permission. The closing prayer is Revelation
1:5-6, NRSV

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Among the new nations of Africa, Uganda is the most predominantly Christian.
Mission work began there in the 1870's with the favor of King Mutesa, who
died in 1884. However, his son and successor, King Mwanga, opposed all
foreign presence, including the missions.
James Hannington, born 1847, was sent out from England in 1884 by the
Anglican Church as missionary Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa. As he was
travelling toward Uganda, he was apprehended by emissaries of King Mwanga.
He and his companions were brutally treated and, a week later, 29 October
1885, most of them were put to death. Hannington's last words were: "Go tell
your master that I have purchased the road to Uganda with my blood."
The first native martyr was the Roman Catholic Joseph Mkasa Balikuddembe,
who was beheaded after having rebuked the king for his debauchery and for
the murder of Bishop Hannington. On 3 June 1886, a group of 32 men and
boys, 22 Roman Catholic and 10 Anglican, were burned at the stake. Most of
them were young pages in Mwanga's household, from their head-man, Charles
Lwanga, to the thirteen-year-old Kizito, who went to his death "laughing and
chattering." These and many other Ugandan Christians suffered for their faith
then and in the next few years. [James Kiefer, abridged]