OREMUS: 28 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 27 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles

for your Son, the eternal Shepherd,
who will never forsake his flock.
We give you thanks for the witness
of the holy apostles and their successors
whom you have called to be shepherds of your Church.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 32:1-4]:

Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
   let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop like the rain,
   my speech condense like the dew;
like gentle rain on grass,
   like showers on new growth.
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord;
   ascribe greatness to our God!

The Rock, his work is perfect,
   and all his ways are just.
A faithful God, without deceit,
   just and upright is he.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Oriel

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t 632.html
Thou who sentest thine apostles
two and two before thy face,
partners in the night of toiling,
heirs together of thy grace,
throned at length, their labors ended,
each in his appointed place;

Praise to thee for thy champions
whom our hymns today proclaim:
one, whose zeal by thee enlightened
burned anew with nobler flame;
one, the kinsman of thy childhood,
brought at last to know thy Name.

Praise to thee! thy fire within them
spake in love and wrought in power:
seen in mighty signs and wonders
in thy Church's morning hour;
heard in tones of sternest warning
when the storms began to lower.

God the Father, great and wondrous
in thy works, to thee be praise;
King of saints, to thee be glory,
just and true in all thy ways;
praise to thee, from Both proceeding,
Holy Ghost, through endless days.

SECOND READING [John 14:15-end]:

Jesus said, 'If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the
Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you for ever. This is the
Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows
him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

'I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no
longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you
will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my
commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be
loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.' Judas (not
Iscariot) said to him, 'Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the
world?' Jesus answered him, 'Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father
will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever
does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but
is from the Father who sent me.

'I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy
Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind
you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do
not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let
them be afraid. You heard me say to you, "I am going away, and I am coming to you."
If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is
greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does
occur, you may believe. I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world
is coming. He has no power over me; but I do as the Father has commanded me, so
that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us be on our way.'

Let us pray for the whole people of God in Christ Jesus,
and for all people according to their needs.

Almighty and everlasting God,
we humbly thank you for all the numerous blessings
which you have given us for the benefit of both body and soul.
Though we are worthy of none of your blessings,
you still abundantly provide according to your will.
By your grace, continue to grant all that your people need
for time and eternity.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O Lord,
we praise you especially for preserving your Word and Sacraments
throughout the generations by your apostles and their successors.
Give to all bishops and to all who hear them zeal for the truth,
so that they may always proclaim and promote the Gospel
and bring the good news of salvation to more people in our generation.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful Father, continue to nurture and extend your Church on earth
by guiding our choices of those who study for the priesthood.
Let your Spirit work unhindered in all our seminaries and schools.
To all teachers and other servants of the Church
grant faithfulness to their callings,
and to all our people grant a love of your name
and the desire to serve you their whole life long.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all the saints who, by your grace, now rest from their labors,
we give you thanks (especially for ____________).
For those saints who are still strangers and pilgrims on earth,
grant protection and power to remain in your Word,
keep the true faith, and live in ways that are fitting for members of your household.

Lord, in your mercy,

you have built your Church on the foundation
of the apostles and prophets
with Jesus Christ himself as the chief cornerstone:
We thank you for the apostles Simon and Jude,
and we pray that we may reveal your love and mercy,
and being joined together in unity of spirit
may grow into a holy temple, acceptable to you;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from _We Give
You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan
Griffiths, (c) The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is based (heavily adapted) from a prayer by the Lutheran
Church--Missouri Synod.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

On the various New Testament lists of the Twelve Apostles (Matthew 10:2-4; Mark
3:16-19; Luke 6:14-16; Acts 1:13), the tenth and eleventh places are occupied by Simon
the Zealot and by Judas of James, also called Thaddaeus or Lebbaeus. Some ancient
Christian writers say that Simon and Jude went together as missionaries to Persia, and
were martyred there. If this is true, it explains, to some extent, our lack of historical
information on them and also why they are usually put together.
Simon is not mentioned by name in the New Testament except on these lists.  Judas (often
called Jude in English, but the Greek has Judas) is variously named, but this is not
surprising. Before the Crucifixion, there would be a need to distinguish him among the
apostles from Judas Iscariot, and after the Crucifixion there would be an additional reason
for being emphatic about the distinction. After the Last Supper it was Jude who asked Our
Lord why he chose to reveal Himself only to the disciples. He received the reply: "If
anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to
him and make our home with him." (John 14:22f) [James Kiefer]