OREMUS: 27 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 26 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, October 27, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
We praise you for creating this world in all beauty,
for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord,
and for sending us the gift of your Spirit
to encourage, instruct, and sustain us.
We long for your Spirit to work among us now,
to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth,
and to equip us for service in your world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.3-10)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 6:1-9]:

Now this is the commandment the statutes and the ordinances that the Lord your
God charged me to teach you to observe in the land that you are about to cross into
and occupy, so that you and your children and your children's children may fear the
Lord your God all the days of your life, and keep all his decrees and his
commandments that I am commanding you, so that your days may be long. Hear
therefore, O Israel, and observe them diligently, so that it may go well with you, and
so that you may multiply greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, as the Lord,
the God of your ancestors, has promised you.

Hear, O Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. You shall love the Lord your
God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these
words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children
and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie
down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on
your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

HYMN
Words: attributed to St. Patrick (372-466);
trans. Cecil Frances Alexander (1818-1895), 1889
Music: St. Patrick's Breastplate and Gartan (verse 6)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i024.html

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.

I bind this day to me for ever,
by power of faith, Christ's Incarnation;
his baptism in Jordan river;
his death on cross for my salvation;
his bursting from the spicŠd tomb;
his riding up the heavenly way;
his coming at the day of doom:
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
of the great love of cherubim;
the sweet "Well done" in judgment hour;
the service of the seraphim;
confessors' faith, apostles' word,
the patriarchs' prayers, the prophets' scrolls;
all good deeds done unto the Lord,
and purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
the virtues of the starlit heaven
the glorious sun's life-giving ray,
the whiteness of the moon at even,
the flashing of the lightning free,
the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to hearken, to my need;
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
his heavenly host to be my guard.

Christ be with me,
Christ within me,
Christ behind me,
Christ before me,
Christ beside me,
Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort
and restore me.
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of
all that love me,
Christ in mouth of
friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.
Of whom all nature hath creation,
eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
praise to the Lord of my salvation,
salvation is of Christ the Lord.

SECOND READING [Matthew 26:1-16]:

When Jesus had finished saying all these things, he said to his disciples, 'You know
that after two days the Passover is coming, and the Son of Man will be handed over to
be crucified.'

Then the chief priests and the elders of the people gathered in the palace of the high
priest, who was called Caiaphas, and they conspired to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill
him. But they said, 'Not during the festival, or there may be a riot among the people.'

Now while Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came to
him with an alabaster jar of very costly ointment, and she poured it on his head as he
sat at the table. But when the disciples saw it, they were angry and said, 'Why this
waste? For this ointment could have been sold for a large sum, and the money given to
the poor.' But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, 'Why do you trouble the woman?
She has performed a good service for me. For you always have the poor with you, but
you will not always have me. By pouring this ointment on my body she has prepared
me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this good news is proclaimed in the whole
world, what she has done will be told in remembrance of her.'

Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and
said, 'What will you give me if I betray him to you?' They paid him thirty pieces of
silver. And from that moment he began to look for an opportunity to betray him.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things
the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Creator God,
whose life-giving Spirit
wells up with streams of living water,
sustain those whose spirits are heavy
and whose wells have run dry,
through Jesus Christ,
the rock of our salvation. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer in _The Worship Sourcebook_,
(c) 2004, CRC Publications. Used with permission. The closing prayer is Revelation
1:5-6, NRSV