OREMUS: 26 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 25 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, October 26, 2008
The Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O God.
We praise you for creating this world in all beauty,
for redeeming the world through Christ, our Lord,
and for sending us the gift of your Spirit
to encourage, instruct, and sustain us.
We long for your Spirit to work among us now,
to inspire our praise, to challenge us with your truth,
and to equip us for service in your world.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Psalm 67

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29.10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.
Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head over all.
Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.
In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.
And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.
For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 33:30-end]:

As for you, mortal, your people who talk together about you by the walls, and at the
doors of the houses, say to one another, each to a neighbour, 'Come and hear what the
word is that comes from the Lord.' They come to you as people come, and they sit
before you as my people, and they hear your words, but they will not obey them. For
flattery is on their lips, but their heart is set on their gain. To them you are like a singer
of love songs, one who has a beautiful voice and plays well on an instrument; they hear
what you say, but they will not do it. When this comes and come it will! then they
shall know that a prophet has been among them.

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown (John Ireland, 1879-1962)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.html

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 4:8-16]:

Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Quite apart from us
you have become kings! Indeed, I wish that you had become kings, so that we might
be kings with you! For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, as
though sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to
angels and to mortals. We are fools for the sake of Christ, but you are wise in Christ.
We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honour, but we in disrepute. To the
present hour we are hungry and thirsty, we are poorly clothed and beaten and
homeless, and we grow weary from the work of our own hands. When reviled, we
bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we speak kindly. We have
become like the rubbish of the world, the dregs of all things, to this very day.

I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved
children. For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have
many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. I appeal
to you, then, be imitators of me.

Mighty God of mercy, we thank you for the resurrection
dawn bringing the glory of our risen Lord who makes every
day new. Especially we thank you for
     the beauty of your creation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the new creation in Christ and all gifts of healing and forgiveness...
     the sustaining love of family and friends...
     the fellowship of faith in your church...

Merciful God of might, renew this weary world, heal the
hurts of all your children, and bring about your peace in
Christ Jesus, the living Lord. Especially we pray for
     those who govern nations of the world...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the people in countries ravaged by strife or warfare ...
     all who work for peace and international harmony...
     all who strive to save the earth from destruction...
     the
     church of Jesus Christ in every land...

O God,
whose Son has taught us
that love is the fulfillment of your law:
Stir up within us the fire of your Holy Spirit,
and pour into our hearts your greatest gift of love,
so that we may love you with our whole being,
and our neighbors as ourselves;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

To Jesus Christ, who loves us
and freed us from our sins by his blood
and made us to be a kingdom,
priests serving his God and Father,
to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer in _The Worship Sourcebook_,
(c) 2004, CRC Publications. Used with permission. The closing prayer is Revelation
1:5-6, NRSV

The intercession and collect are from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.