OREMUS: 25 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 24 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, October 25, 2008

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3.1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
but they are at peace.
For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little,
they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy.
Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.
In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
They will govern nations and rule over peoples
and God will reign over them for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 5:22-end]:

These words the Lord spoke with a loud voice to your whole assembly at the
mountain, out of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, and he added no more. He
wrote them on two stone tablets, and gave them to me. When you heard the voice out
of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, you approached me, all the
heads of your tribes and your elders; and you said, 'Look, the Lord our God has
shown us his glory and greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the fire. Today
we have seen that God may speak to someone and the person may still live. So now
why should we die? For this great fire will consume us; if we hear the voice of the
Lord our God any longer, we shall die. For who is there of all flesh that has heard the
voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and remained alive? Go near,
you yourself, and hear all that the Lord our God will say. Then tell us everything that
the Lord our God tells you, and we will listen and do it.'

The Lord heard your words when you spoke to me, and the Lord said to me: 'I have
heard the words of this people, which they have spoken to you; they are right in all
that they have spoken. If only they had such a mind as this, to fear me and to keep all
my commandments always, so that it might go well with them and with their children
for ever! Go, say to them, "Return to your tents." But you, stand here by me, and I
will tell you all the commandments, the statutes and the ordinances, that you shall
teach them, so that they may do them in the land that I am giving them to possess.'
You must therefore be careful to do as the Lord your God has commanded you; you
shall not turn to the right or to the left. You must follow exactly the path that the Lord
your God has commanded you, so that you may live, and that it may go well with you,
and that you may live long in the land that you are to possess.

HYMN

Words: William Henry Burleigh, 1868

Music: Song 22

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l019.html

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of peace;
without thy guiding hand we go astray,
and doubts appall, and sorrows still increase;
lead us through Christ, the true and living Way.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of truth;
unhelped by thee, in error's maze we grope,
while passion strains, and folly dims our youth,
and age comes on, uncheered by faith and hope.

Lead us, O Father, in the paths of right;
blindly we stumble when we walk alone,
involved in shadows of a darksome night;
only with thee we journey safely on.

Lead us, O Father, to thy heavenly rest,
however rough and steep the pathway be;
through joy or sorrow, as thou deemest best,
until our lives are perfected in thee.

SECOND READING [Matthew 25:31-end]:

Jesus said, 'When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then
he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and
he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the
goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the
king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father,
inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was
hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I
was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was
sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me." Then the righteous
will answer him, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or
thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger
and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw
you sick or in prison and visited you?" And the king will answer them, "Truly I tell
you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you
did it to me." Then he will say to those at his left hand, "You that are accursed, depart
from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry
and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a
stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick
and in prison and you did not visit me." Then they also will answer, "Lord, when was
it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did
not take care of you?" Then he will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did not
do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me." And these will go away into
eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.'

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

O gracious and holy God,
give us diligence to seek you,
wisdom to perceive you,
and patience to wait for you.
Grant us, O God,
a mind to meditate on you,
eyes to behold you,
ears to listen for your Word,
a heart to love you,
and a life to proclaim you,
through the power of the Spirit
of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002. The collect is attributed to Saint Benedict. The closing
prayer is adapted from a prayer by Alan Griffiths.