OREMUS: 24 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 23 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, October 24, 2008

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Psalm 37:26-end

I have been young and now I am old,*
 but never have I seen the righteous forsaken,
   or their children begging bread.
The righteous are always generous in their lending,*
 and their children shall be a blessing.
Turn from evil and do good,*
 and dwell in the land for ever.
For the Lord loves justice;*
 he does not forsake his faithful ones.
They shall be kept safe for ever,*
 but the offspring of the wicked shall be destroyed.
The righteous shall possess the land*
 and dwell in it for ever.
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,*
 and their tongue speaks what is right.
The law of their God is in their heart,*
 and their footsteps shall not falter.
The wicked spy on the righteous*
 and seek occasion to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them to their hand,*
 nor let them be found guilty when brought to trial.
Wait upon the Lord and keep his way;*
 he will raise you up to possess the land,
   and when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
I have seen the wicked in their arrogance,*
 flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
I went by and, behold, they were not there;*
 I searched for them, but they could not be found.
Mark those who are honest; observe the upright;*
 for there is a future for the peaceable.
Transgressors shall be destroyed, one and all;*
 the future of the wicked is cut off.
But the deliverance of the righteous
   comes from the Lord;*
 he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
The Lord will help them and rescue them;*
 he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them,
   because they seek refuge in him.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1. 5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 5:1-21]:

Moses convened all Israel, and said to them:

Hear, O Israel, the statutes and ordinances that I am addressing to you today; you shall
learn them and observe them diligently. The Lord our God made a covenant with us at
Horeb. Not with our ancestors did the Lord make this covenant, but with us, who are
all of us here alive today. The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain, out of
the fire. (At that time I was standing between the Lord and you to declare to you the
words of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire and did not go up the
mountain.) And he said:

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house
of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in
heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a
jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth
generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth
generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will
not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Observe the sabbath day and keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. For
six days you shall labour and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the
Lord your God; you shall not do any work you, or your son or your daughter, or
your male or female slave, or your ox or your donkey, or any of your livestock, or the
resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as
you. Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God
brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the
Lord your God commanded you to keep the sabbath day.

Honour your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, so that
your days may be long and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your
God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

Neither shall you commit adultery.

Neither shall you steal.

Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbour.

Neither shall you covet your neighbour's wife.

Neither shall you desire your neighbour's house, or field, or male or female slave, or
ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707,
as altered by John Wesley (1703-1791), 1737.

MIDI: Old Hundredth (Genevan Psalter, 1551)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b032.html

Before Jehovah's awful throne,
ye nations, bow with sacred joy;
know that the Lord is God alone;
he can create, and he destroy.

His sovereign power, without our aid,
made us of clay, and formed us men;
and when like wandering sheep we strayed,
he brought us to his fold again.

We'll crowd thy gates with thankful songs,
high as the heavens our voices raise;
and earth, with her ten thousand tongues,
shall fill thy courts with sounding praise.

Wide as the world is thy command,
vast as eternity thy love;
firm as a rock thy truth must stand,
when rolling years shall cease to move.

SECOND READING [Matthew 25:14-30]:

Jesus said, 'The kingdom of heaven is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his
slaves and entrusted his property to them; to one he gave five talents, to another two,
to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. The one who had
received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more
talents. In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But
the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid
his master's money. After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled
accounts with them. Then the one who had received the five talents came forward,
bringing five more talents, saying, "Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I
have made five more talents." His master said to him, "Well done, good and
trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge
of many things; enter into the joy of your master." And the one with the two talents
also came forward, saying, "Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have
made two more talents." His master said to him, "Well done, good and trustworthy
slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many
things; enter into the joy of your master." Then the one who had received the one
talent also came forward, saying, "Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping
where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed; so I was afraid,
and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours." But his
master replied, "You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I
did not sow, and gather where I did not scatter? Then you ought to have invested my
money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own
with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents.
For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but
from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. As for this
worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and
gnashing of teeth."

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy catholic Church,
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
Father, into your hands we commend them.

We praise you for all your saints who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Jesus, who meets us in the guise of stranger,
whose face is glimpsed in breaking open hospitality,
create among us
countless meeting places:
in setting of table,
in opening of doors
in sharing of food
in offering greetings
that we meet you
in every stranger,
and in this sharing of Gospel,
discover our own place in the family of God. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002. The collect is from the Pray Now website:
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer24.htm

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Alan Griffiths.