OREMUS: 22 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 21 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 22, 2008

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16.13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.
May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.
You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.
Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.
But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.
No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 4:25-31]:

When you have had children and children's children, and become complacent in the
land, if you act corruptly by making an idol in the form of anything, thus doing what is
evil in the sight of the Lord your God, and provoking him to anger, I call heaven and
earth to witness against you today that you will soon utterly perish from the land that
you are crossing the Jordan to occupy; you will not live long on it, but will be utterly
destroyed. The Lord will scatter you among the peoples; only a few of you will be left
among the nations where the Lord will lead you. There you will serve other gods made
by human hands, objects of wood and stone that neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor
smell. From there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find him if you search
after him with all your heart and soul. In your distress, when all these things have
happened to you in time to come, you will return to the Lord your God and heed him.
Because the Lord your God is a merciful God, he will neither abandon you nor destroy
you; he will not forget the covenant with your ancestors that he swore to them.

HYMN
Words: John Samuel Bewley Monsell, Jr., 1857

Music: St. Bees

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s134.html

Sinful, sighing to be blessed;
bound, and longing to be free;
weary, waiting for my rest:
God be merciful to me.

Goodness I have none to plead,
sinfulness in all I see,
I can only bring my need:
God be merciful to me.

Broken heart and downcast eyes
dare not lift themselves to thee;
yet thou canst interpret sighs:
God be merciful to me.

>From this sinful heart of mine
to thy bosom I would flee:
I am not mine own, but thine:
God be merciful to me.

There is One beside the throne,
and my only hope and plea
are in him and him alone:
God be merciful to me.

He my cause will undertake,
my interpreter will be;
he's my all; and for his sake
God be merciful to me.

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:42-end]:

Jesus said, 'Keep awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But
understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief
was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken
into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected
hour.

'Who then is the faithful and wise slave, whom his master has put in charge of his
household, to give the other slaves their allowance of food at the proper time? Blessed
is that slave whom his master will find at work when he arrives. Truly I tell you, he
will put that one in charge of all his possessions. But if that wicked slave says to
himself, "My master is delayed", and he begins to beat his fellow-slaves, and eats and
drinks with drunkards, the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not
expect him and at an hour that he does not know. He will cut him in pieces and put
him with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Let us pray to God the almighty, the King of creation.

Eternal God, we thank you for your light and your truth.
We praise you for your fatherly care
in creating a universe which proclaims your glory.
Inspire us to worship you, the creator of all,
and let your light shine upon our world.
God of life: hear our prayer.

We thank you for the vastness of the universe
and the mysteries of space.
We pray for all scientists and astronomers
who extend the boundaries of our knowledge.
As we contemplate the wonder of the heavens,
confirm us in the truth that every human being is
known and loved by you.
God of life: hear our prayer.

We thank you for the beauty of the earth,
for the diversity of land and sea,
for the resources of the earth.
Give us the will to cherish this planet
and to use its riches for the good and welfare of all.
God of life: hear our prayer.

We thank you for the warmth of the sun,
the light of the moon, the glory of the stars.
We praise you for the formations of clouds,
the radiance of dawn and sunset.
Save us from wasting or abusing the energy
on which all life depends.
Open our eyes to behold your beauty,
and our lips to praise your name.
God of life: hear our prayer.

We thank you for the teeming life of the seas,
and the flight of the birds.
Help us to protect the environment
so that all life may flourish.
God of life: hear our prayer.

We rejoice in the variety of animal life.
Grant us grace to treat all animals with respect and care;
to protect endangered species,
to preserve the variety of habitats,
and to honour the delicate balance of nature.
God of life: hear our prayer.

We pray for the human family.
We exult in its diversity and giftedness,
we repent of its sins, divisions and violence.
By the power of your Spirit, restore your image within us,
through Christ who came to remake us
by his death and resurrection.
God of life: hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, you have filled the world with beauty:
open our eyes to behold your gracious hand in all your works;
that, rejoicing in your whole creation,
we may learn to serve you with gladness;
for the sake of him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession and collect are from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons
(draft)_, material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2004.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Alan Griffiths.