OREMUS: 21 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 20 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 21, 2008

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 36:5-end [CCP]

Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 4:15-24]:

Since you saw no form when the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the fire, take care
and watch yourselves closely, so that you do not act corruptly by making an idol for
yourselves, in the form of any figure the likeness of male or female, the likeness of
any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air, the
likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the
water under the earth. And when you look up to the heavens and see the sun, the
moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, do not be led astray and bow down to
them and serve them, things that the Lord your God has allotted to all the peoples
everywhere under heaven. But the Lord has taken you and brought you out of the
iron-smelter, out of Egypt, to become a people of his very own possession, as you are
now.

The Lord was angry with me because of you, and he vowed that I should not cross the
Jordan and that I should not enter the good land that the Lord your God is giving for
your possession. For I am going to die in this land without crossing over the Jordan,
but you are going to cross over to take possession of that good land. So be careful not
to forget the covenant that the Lord your God made with you, and not to make for
yourselves an idol in the form of anything that the Lord your God has forbidden you.
For the Lord your God is a devouring fire, a jealous God.

HYMN
Words: William Boyd Carpenter (1841-1918)

Music: St. Petersburg

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b046.html

Before thy throne, O God, we kneel:
give us a conscience quick to feel,
a ready mind to understand
the meaning of thy chastening hand;
whate'er the pain and shame may be,
bring us, O Father, nearer thee.

Search out our hearts and make us true;
help us to give to all their due.
>From love of pleasure, lust of gold,
from sins which make the heart grow cold,
wean us and train us with thy rod;
teach us to know our faults, O God.

For sins of heedless word and deed,
for pride ambitions to succeed,
for crafty trade and subtle snare
to catch the simple unaware,
for lives bereft of purpose high,
forgive, forgive, O Lord, we cry.

Let the fierce fires which burn and try,
our inmost spirits purify:
consume the ill; purge out the shame;
O God, be with us in the flame;
a newborn people may we rise,
more pure, more true, more nobly wise.

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:29-42a]:

Jesus said,  'Immediately after the suffering of those days
the sun will be darkened,
   and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from heaven,
   and the powers of heaven will be shaken.
Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the
earth will mourn, and they will see "the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven"
with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call,
and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

'From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth
its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you
know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass
away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my
words will not pass away.

'But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son,
but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of
Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying
and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until
the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will
be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake
therefore, for you do not know on what day* your Lord is coming.'

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Alan Griffiths.