OREMUS: 20 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 19 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, October 20, 2008

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,*
 the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place*
 and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings*
 and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire*
 and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory
   and triumph in the name of our God;*
 may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory
   to his anointed;*
 he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
   with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,*
 but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,*
 but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king*
 and answer us when we call.

Psalm 24

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

A Song of Solomon (cf Song of Solomon 8.6,7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.
If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 4:1-9]:

So now, Israel, give heed to the statutes and ordinances that I am teaching you to
observe, so that you may live to enter and occupy the land that the Lord, the God of
your ancestors, is giving you. You must neither add anything to what I command you
nor take away anything from it, but keep the commandments of the Lord your God
with which I am charging you. You have seen for yourselves what the Lord did with
regard to the Baal of Peor how the Lord your God destroyed from among you
everyone who followed the Baal of Peor, while those of you who held fast to the Lord
your God are all alive today.

See, just as the Lord my God has charged me, I now teach you statutes and ordinances
for you to observe in the land that you are about to enter and occupy. You must
observe them diligently, for this will show your wisdom and discernment to the
peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, 'Surely this great nation is a
wise and discerning people!' For what other great nation has a god so near to it as the
Lord our God is whenever we call to him? And what other great nation has statutes
and ordinances as just as this entire law that I am setting before you today?

But take care and watch yourselves closely, so as neither to forget the things that your
eyes have seen nor to let them slip from your mind all the days of your life; make them
known to your children and your children's children.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Benson Pollock, 1875

Music: St. Chrysostom

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w094.html

We have not known thee as we ought,
nor learned thy wisdom, grace and power;
the things of earth have filled our thought,
and trifles of the passing hour.
Lord, give us light thy truth to see,
and make us wise in knowing thee.

We have not feared thee as we ought,
nor bowed beneath thine awful eye,
nor guarded deed and word and thought,
remembering that God was nigh.
Lord, give us faith to know thee near,
and grant the grace of holy fear.

We have not loved thee as we ought,
nor cared that we are loved by thee;
thy presence we have coldly sought,
and feebly longed thy face to see.
Lord, give a pure and loving heart
to feel and know the love thou art.

We have not served thee as we ought,
alas, the duties left undone,
the work with little fervor wrought,
the battles lost or scarcely won!
Lord, give the zeal, and give the might,
for thee to toil, for thee to fight.

When shall we know thee as we ought,
and fear and love and serve aright?
when shall we, out of trial brought,
be perfect in the land of light?
Lord, may we day by day prepare
to see thy face and serve thee there.

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:15-28]:

Jesus said, 'So when you see the desolating sacrilege standing in the holy place, as was
spoken of by the prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then those in Judea must
flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop must not go down to take what is in
the house; someone in the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who
are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! Pray that your flight
may not be in winter or on a sabbath. For at that time there will be great suffering,
such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.
And if those days had not been cut short, no one would be saved; but for the sake of
the elect those days will be cut short. Then if anyone says to you, "Look! Here is the
Messiah!" or "There he is!" do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets
will appear and produce great signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the
elect. Take note, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you, "Look! He is in
the wilderness", do not go out. If they say, "Look! He is in the inner rooms", do not
believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west, so
will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will
gather.'

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

God of mercy and love,
new birth by water and the Spirit is your gift,
a gift none can take away;
grant that your servants may grow
into the fullness of the stature of Christ;
who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

Living God, sustain all your people
to be hope and strength to the world;
through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002. The collect and closing prayer are from _Affirmation of
Holy Baptism_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 2006. Used with
permission. http://www.scottishepiscopal.com