OREMUS: 19 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 18 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, October 19, 2008
The Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost

you know each of us by name,
and in your sight we have found favor,
yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory
or the vastness of your love.
We praise you for forming us in your image
and calling us to be your people.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26; 22.1,2b,d,3b,4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it, .
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.
By its light the nations shall walk, .
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.
Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night; .
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.
I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal, .
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.
And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month, .
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.
The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him; .
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 8:46-53]:

Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the assembly of
Israel, and spread out his hands to heaven. He said, 'If they sin against you for there
is no one who does not sin and you are angry with them and give them to an enemy,
so that they are carried away captive to the land of the enemy, far off or near; and if
they come to their senses in the land to which they have been taken captive, and
repent, and plead with you in the land of their captors, saying, "We have sinned, and
have done wrong; we have acted wickedly"; if they repent with all their heart and soul
in the land of their enemies, who took them captive, and pray to you towards their
land, which you gave to their ancestors, the city that you have chosen, and the house
that I have built for your name; then hear in heaven your dwelling-place their prayer
and their plea, maintain their cause, and forgive your people who have sinned against
you, and all their transgressions that they have committed against you; and grant them
compassion in the sight of their captors, so that they may have compassion on them
(for they are your people and heritage, which you brought out of Egypt, from the
midst of the iron-smelter). Let your eyes be open to the plea of your servant, and to
the plea of your people Israel, listening to them whenever they call to you. For you
have separated them from among all the peoples of the earth, to be your heritage, just
as you promised through Moses, your servant, when you brought our ancestors out of
Egypt, O Lord God.'

HYMN
Words: Brian Wren (c) Hope Publishing. Used with Permission.
Tune: Megerran

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a039.html

A prophet-woman broke a jar
by Love's divine appointing.
With rare perfume she filled the room,
presiding and anointing.
A prophet-woman broke a jar,
the sneers of scorn defying.
With rare perfume she filled the room,
preparing Christ for dying.

A faithful woman left a tomb
by Love's divine commission.
She saw, she heard, she preached the word,
arising from submission.
A faithful woman left a tomb
with resurrection gospel.
She saw, she heard, she preached the word,
apostle to apostles.

Though woman-wisdom, woman-truth
for centuries were hidden,
unsung, unwritten, and unheard,
derided and forbidden,
the Spirit's breath, the Spirit's fire,
on free and slave, descending,
can tumble our diving walls,

our shame and sadness mending.

The Spirit knows, the Spirit calls,
by Love's divine ordaining,
the friends we need, to serve and lead,
their powers and gifts unchaining.
The Spirit knows, the Spirit calls
from women, men, and children
the friends we need, to serve and lead.
Rejoice and make them welcome!

SECOND READING [Luke 7:36-end]:

One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's
house and took his place at the table. And a woman in the city, who was a sinner,
having learned that he was eating in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster jar of
ointment. She stood behind him at his feet, weeping, and began to bathe his feet with
her tears and to dry them with her hair. Then she continued kissing his feet and
anointing them with the ointment. Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it,
he said to himself, 'If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what
kind of woman this is who is touching him that she is a sinner.' Jesus spoke up and
said to him, 'Simon, I have something to say to you.' 'Teacher,' he replied, 'speak.'
'A certain creditor had two debtors; one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
When they could not pay, he cancelled the debts for both of them. Now which of them
will love him more?' Simon answered, 'I suppose the one for whom he cancelled the
greater debt.' And Jesus said to him, 'You have judged rightly.' Then turning towards
the woman, he said to Simon, 'Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you
gave me no water for my feet, but she has bathed my feet with her tears and dried
them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not
stopped kissing my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my
feet with ointment. Therefore, I tell you, her sins, which were many, have been
forgiven; hence she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves
little.' Then he said to her, 'Your sins are forgiven.' But those who were at the table
with him began to say among themselves, 'Who is this who even forgives sins?' And
he said to the woman, 'Your faith has saved you; go in peace.'

We lift our voices in prayers of praise, holy God, for
you have lifted us to new life in Jesus Christ, and your
blessings come in generous measure. Especially we thank
you for
     the privilege of worship and service in your name...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ...
     food and drink to share in the Lord's name...
     our calling to discipleship...

We hold up before you human needs, God of compassion, for
you have come to us in Jesus Christ and shared our life
so we may share his resurrection. Especially we pray for
     the healing of those who are sick...
                    (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the comfort of the dying...
     the renewal of those in despair...
     the Spirit's power in the church...

Almighty and everliving God,
increase in us your gift of faith,
that forsaking what lies behind
and reaching out to what is before,
we may run the way of your commandments
and win the crown of everlasting joy;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

May the God whose likeness we bear
focus our hearts and wills on the Gospel,
that we may render worthy worship and loving service
in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press. The collect is from  _The Book of Alternative
Services of The Anglican Church of Canada_.