OREMUS: 18 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 17 19:11:34 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, October 18, 2008
Saint Luke the Evangelist

for making the mystery of Christ your Son
known to us through the scriptures,
the work of those enlightened by your Holy Spirit.
Through these writings which have become
a fertile seed for all generations
the words and acts of the Savior
bear rich fruit to your praise and glory.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;

For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.

Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.

We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,

And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,

Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.

God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.

Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 38:1-14]:

Honour physicians for their services,
   for the Lord created them;
for their gift of healing comes from the Most High,
   and they are rewarded by the king.
The skill of physicians makes them distinguished,
   and in the presence of the great they are admired.
The Lord created medicines out of the earth,
   and the sensible will not despise them.
Was not water made sweet with a tree
   in order that its power might be known?
And he gave skill to human beings
   that he might be glorified in his marvellous works.
By them the physician heals and takes away pain;
   the pharmacist makes a mixture from them.
God's works will never be finished;
   and from him health spreads over all the earth.

My child, when you are ill, do not delay,
   but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you.
Give up your faults and direct your hands rightly,
   and cleanse your heart from all sin.
Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice, and a memorial portion of choice flour,
   and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford.
Then give the physician his place, for the Lord created him;
   do not let him leave you, for you need him.
There may come a time when recovery lies in the hands of physicians,
   for they too pray to the Lord
that he will grant them success in diagnosis
   and in healing, for the sake of preserving life.

HYMN
Words: Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley, 1906
Tune: Jesus ist das sch”nste Licht

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s043.html

Savior, who didst healing give,
still in power go before us;
thou through death didst men live,
unto fuller life restore us;
strength from thee the fainting found,
deaf men heard, the blind went seeing;
at thy touch was banished sickness,
and the leper felt new being.

Thou didst work thy deeds of old
through the loving hands of others;
still thy mercies manifold
bless men by the hands of brothers;
angels still before thy face
go, sweet health to brothers bringing;
still, hearts glow to tell his praises
with whose name the Church is ringing.

Loved physician! for his word
lo, the Gospel page burns brighter,
mission servant of the Lord,
painter true and perfect writer;
Savior of thy bounty send
such as Luke of Gospel story,
friends to all in body's prison
till the sufferers see thy glory.

SECOND READING [Colossians 4:2-end]:

Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving. At the same time
pray for us as well that God will open to us a door for the word, that we may declare
the mystery of Christ, for which I am in prison, so that I may reveal it clearly, as I
should.

Conduct yourselves wisely towards outsiders, making the most of the time. Let your
speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought
to answer everyone.

Tychicus will tell you all the news about me; he is a beloved brother, a faithful
minister, and a fellow-servant in the Lord. I have sent him to you for this very
purpose, so that you may know how we are and that he may encourage your hearts; he
is coming with Onesimus, the faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They
will tell you about everything here.

Aristarchus my fellow-prisoner greets you, as does Mark the cousin of Barnabas,
concerning whom you have received instructions if he comes to you, welcome him.
And Jesus who is called Justus greets you. These are the only ones of the circumcision
among my co-workers for the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me.
Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you. He is always
wrestling in his prayers on your behalf, so that you may stand mature and fully assured
in everything that God wills. For I testify for him that he has worked hard for you and
for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis. Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas greet
you. Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters in Laodicea, and to Nympha and the
church in her house. And when this letter has been read among you, have it read also
in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you read also the letter from Laodicea.
And say to Archippus, 'See that you complete the task that you have received in the
Lord.'

I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with
you.

God the Father, your will for all people is health and salvation;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

God the Son, you came that we might have life, and might
have it more abundantly;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

God the Holy Spirit, you make our bodies the temple of your
presence;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

Holy Trinity, one God, in you we live and move and have our
being;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

Lord, grant your healing grace to all who are sick, injured,
or disabled, that they may be made whole;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Grant to all who seek your guidance, and to all who are
lonely, anxious or despondent, a knowledge of your will and
an awareness of your presence;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Mend broken relationships, and restore those in emotional
distress to soundness of mind and serenity of spirit;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Bless physicians, nurses, and all others who minister to the
suffering granting them wisdom and skill, sympathy and
patience;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Grant to the dying peace and a holy death, and uphold by the
grace and consolation of your Holy Spirit those who are
bereaved;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Restore to wholeness whatever is broken by sin, in our
lives, in our nation, and in the world;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

You are the Lord, who does wonders
-You have declared your power among the peoples.

With you, Lord, is the well of life
-And in your light we see light.

Hear us, Lord of life
-Heal us, and make us whole.

Almighty God,
you called Luke the physician,
whose praise is in the gospel,
to be an evangelist and physician of the soul
by the grace of the Spirit
and through the wholesome medicine of the gospel,
give your Church the same love and power to heal;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you

May we be mindful of God's call to holiness
and be clothed in the practice of good works,
that we may come to God's banquet prepared
to feast with the whole world.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession and the collect are from _Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included
in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Almost all that we know about Luke comes from the New Testament. He was a physician
(Col 4:14), a companion of Paul on some of his missionary journeys (Acts 16:10ff; 20:5ff;
27-28). In Luke's account of the Gospel, we find an emphasis on the human love of Christ,
on His compassion for sinners and for suffering and unhappy persons, for outcasts such as
the Samaritans, tax collectors, lepers, shepherds (not a respected profession), and for the
poor. The role of women in Christ's ministry is more emphasized in Luke than in the other
Gospel writings. In the book of Acts, we find the early Christian community poised from
the start to carry out its commission, confident and aware of Divine guidance. We see how
the early Christians at first preached only to Jews, then to Samaritans (a borderline case),
then to outright Gentiles like Cornelius, and finally explicitly recognized that Gentiles and
Jews are called on equal terms to the service and fellowship of Christ. [James Kiefer,
abridged]