OREMUS: 16 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 15 18:08:13 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, October 16, 2008
Nicholas Ridley, Bishop of London,
and Hugh Latimer, Bishop of Worcester, Martyrs, 1555

Blessed are you, Lord of the feast,
you have prepared a table before all peoples
and poured out life with such abundance
that death cannot claim the triumph over your universe.
You call us again to your banquet
where we may may receive your holy food,
and, strengthened by what is honorable, just, and pure,
be transformed into a people of righteousness and peace.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 17

Hear my plea of innocence, O Lord;
   give heed to my cry;*
 listen to my prayer,
   which does not come from lying lips.
Let my vindication come forth from your presence;*
 let your eyes be fixed on justice.
Weigh my heart, summon me by night,*
 melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.
I give no offence with my mouth as others do;*
 I have heeded the words of your lips.
My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law;*
 in your paths my feet shall not stumble.
I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me;*
 incline your ear to me and hear my words.
Show me your marvellous loving-kindness,*
 O Saviour of those who take refuge at your right hand
   from those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of your eye;*
 hide me under the shadow of your wings,
>From the wicked who assault me,*
 from my deadly enemies who surround me.
They have closed their heart to pity,*
 and their mouth speaks proud things.
They press me hard,
   now they surround me,*
 watching how they may cast me to the ground,
Like a lion, greedy for its prey,*
 and like a young lion lurking in secret places.
Arise, O Lord; confront them and bring them down;*
 deliver me from the wicked by your sword.
Deliver me, O Lord, by your hand*
 from those whose portion in life is this world;
Whose bellies you fill with your treasure,*
 who are well supplied with children
   and leave their wealth to their little ones.
But at my vindication I shall see your face;*
 when I awake, I shall be satisfied,
   beholding your likeness.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 9:11-end]:

Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong,
nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favour to the skilful; but time
and chance happen to them all. For no one can anticipate the time of disaster. Like fish
taken in a cruel net, and like birds caught in a snare, so mortals are snared at a time of
calamity, when it suddenly falls upon them.

I have also seen this example of wisdom under the sun, and it seemed important to me.
There was a little city with few people in it. A great king came against it and besieged
it, building great siege-works against it. Now there was found in it a poor, wise man,
and he by his wisdom delivered the city. Yet no one remembered that poor man. So I
said, 'Wisdom is better than might; yet the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his
words are not heeded.'
The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded
   than the shouting of a ruler among fools.
Wisdom is better than weapons of war,
   but one bungler destroys much good.

HYMN
Words: Fred Kaan   1968 by Hope Publishing Co Used with permission
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Westminster Abbey, Picardy

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f212.html

For the healing of the nations,
Lord, we pray with one accord,
for a just and equal sharing
of the things that earth affords.
To a life of love in action
help us rise and pledge our word.

Lead us forward into freedom,
from despair your world release,
that, redeemed from war and hatred,
all may come and go in peace.
Show us how through care and goodness
fear will die and hope increase.

All that kills abundant living,
let it from the earth be banned:
pride of status, race or schooling,
dogmas that obscure your plan.
In our common quest for justice
may we hallow brief life's span.

You, Creator God, have written
your great name on humankind;
for our growing in your likeness
bring the life of Christ to mind;
that by our response and service
earth its destiny may find.

SECOND READING [Matthew 23:13-23]:

Jesus said,  'But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you lock people
out of the kingdom of heaven. For you do not go in yourselves, and when others are
going in, you stop them. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cross
sea and land to make a single convert, and you make the new convert twice as much a
child of hell as yourselves.

'Woe to you, blind guides, who say, "Whoever swears by the sanctuary is bound by
nothing, but whoever swears by the gold of the sanctuary is bound by the oath." You
blind fools! For which is greater, the gold or the sanctuary that has made the gold
sacred? And you say, "Whoever swears by the altar is bound by nothing, but whoever
swears by the gift that is on the altar is bound by the oath." How blind you are! For
which is greater, the gift or the altar that makes the gift sacred? So whoever swears by
the altar, swears by it and by everything on it; and whoever swears by the sanctuary,
swears by it and by the one who dwells in it; and whoever swears by heaven, swears
by the throne of God and by the one who is seated upon it.

'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cummin,
and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. It is
these you ought to have practised without neglecting the others.'

Foundation of all that is,
you are our dwelling place for all time.

For what you have wrought through the waters of baptism
and your indwelling Spirit:
We praise you, Lord.

For the peace and strength of your surrounding mercy:
We praise you, Lord.

For all the ways your grace has shaped the patterns of our lives:
We praise you, Lord.

Free us and all your church to be at home with you today.
Strong God, hear us.

Make our hearts hospitable to all whom we meet today.
Strong God, hear us.

Steady in us all our choices and encounters.
Strong God, hear us.

Hold tenderly to your Church,
east, west, north, south,
past, present and future for Christ's sake.
Strong God, hear us.

Gracious God,
we bless your holy Name
for the heritage you have given us:
Show us the path of life,
that we may follow it in hope,
and come to know the joy of the resurrection
of your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Keep us, O Lord,
constant in faith and zealous in witness,
after the examples of your servants Hugh Latimer and Nicholas Ridley;
that we may live in your fear, die in your favor, and rest in your peace;
for the sake of Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,

God make us strong
to stand for the right;
God make us strong
to speak the truth;
God make us strong enough
to lay aside power,
to embrace weakness,
to break the cycle
in the freedom love gives.Amen.

The opening prayer is reprinted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer is from the Church of Scotland website,
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer16.htm

When Henry VIII of England died, he left three heirs: his son Edward and his
two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth. Edward succeeded to the throne and was a
staunch Protestant (or at least his advisors were). Under his rule, the church
services, previously in Latin, were translated into English, and other changes
were made.
When Edward died, the throne passed to his sister Mary, who was firmly
Roman Catholic in her beliefs. She determined to return England to union with
the Pope. With more diplomacy, she might have succeeded. But she was
headstrong and would take no advice. Her mother had been Spanish, and she
determined to marry the heir to the throne of Spain, not realizing how much
her people (of all religious persuasions) feared that this would make England a
province of the Spanish Empire.
Mary insisted that the best way to deal with heresy was to burn as many
heretics as possible. (It is worth noting that her husband was opposed to this.)
In the course of a five-year reign, she lost all the English holdings on the
continent of Europe, she lost the affection of her people, and she lost any
chance of a peaceful religious settlement in England. Of the nearly three
hundred persons burned by her orders, the most famous are the Oxford
Martyrs, commemorated today.
Hugh Latimer was famous as a preacher. He was Bishop of Worcester in the
time of King Henry, but resigned in protest against the King's refusal to allow
the Protestant reforms that Latimer desired. Latimer's sermons speak little of
doctrine; he preferred to urge men to upright living and devoutness in prayer.
But when Mary came to the throne, he was arrested, tried for heresy, and
burned together with his friend Nicholas Ridley. His last words at the stake are
well known: "Be of good cheer, Master Ridley, and play the man, for we shall
this day light such a candle in England as I trust by God's grace shall never be
put out."
Nicholas Ridley became an adherent of the Protestant cause while a student at
Cambridge. He was a friend of Archbishop Cranmer and became private
chaplain first to Cranmer and then to King Henry. Under the reign of Edward,
he became bishop of Rochester, and was part of the committee that drew up
the first English Book of Common Prayer. When Mary came to the throne, he
was arrested, tried, and burned with Latimer at Oxford on 16 October 1555.
[James Kiefer]