OREMUS: 12 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 11 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, October 12, 2008
The Twenty-Second Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Lord of the feast,
you have prepared a table before all peoples
and poured out life with such abundance
that death cannot claim the triumph over your universe.
You call us again to your banquet
where we may may receive your holy food,
and, strengthened by what is honorable, just, and pure,
be transformed into a people of righteousness and peace.
For these and all your mercies,
we praise you: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

Bless the Lord (The Song of the Three 29-34)

Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Genesis 15:1-6]:

The word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, 'Do not be afraid, Abram, I am your
shield; your reward shall be very great.' But Abram said, 'O Lord God, what will you
give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?'
And Abram said, 'You have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is
to be my heir.' But the word of the Lord came to him, 'This man shall not be your
heir; no one but your very own issue shall be your heir.' He brought him outside and
said, 'Look towards heaven and count the stars, if you are able to count them.' Then
he said to him, 'So shall your descendants be.' And he believed the Lord; and the Lord
reckoned it to him as righteousness.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Olivers (1725-1799), 1770
Tune: Leoni

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t149.html

The God of Abraham praise,
who reigns enthroned above;
Ancient of everlasting days,
and God of love;
Jehovah, great I AM,
by earth and heaven confessed:
I bow and bless the sacred Name
for ever blessed.

The God of Abraham praise,
at whose supreme command
from earth we rise, and seek the joys
at his right hand;
we all on earth forsake,
its wisdom, fame and power;
and him our only portion make,
our Shield and Tower.

The goodly land we see,
with peace and plenty blessed:
a land of sacred liberty
and endless rest;
there milk and honey flow,
and oil and wine abound,
and trees of life for ever grow,
with mercy crowned.

There dwells the Lord, our King,
the Lord, our Righteousness,
triumphant o'er the world and sin,
the Prince of Peace;
on Zion's sacred height
his kingdom he maintains,
and, glorious with his saints in light,
for ever reigns.

The God who reigns on high,
the great archangels sing,
and "Holy, holy, holy," cry,
"Almighty King!"
Who was and is the same,
and evermore shall be:
Jehovah, Father, great I AM,
we worship thee."

The whole triumphant host
give thanks to God on high;
"Hail, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost"
they ever cry;
hail, Abraham's God and mine;
I join the heavenly lays;
all might and majesty are thine,
and endless praise!

SECOND READING [Romans 4:1-8]:

What then are we to say was gained by Abraham, our ancestor according to the flesh?
For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not
before God. For what does the scripture say? 'Abraham believed God, and it was
reckoned to him as righteousness.' Now to one who works, wages are not reckoned as
a gift but as something due. But to one who without works trusts him who justifies the
ungodly, such faith is reckoned as righteousness. So also David speaks of the
blessedness of those to whom God reckons righteousness irrespective of works:
'Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven,
   and whose sins are covered;
blessed is the one against whom the Lord will not reckon sin.'

The Lord is our shepherd and our king. Let us bring our cares and concerns to him.

We pray for those throughout the world who are suffering as a result of the current
economic and financial problems; for those who have lost savings, homes or jobs: may
we all learn to put self-interest and greed aside and have a true concern for the
common good. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those in our world who live in conditions of poverty and hunger: may we
share generously the good things that the Lord has given us. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

We pray for students, teachers and all those involved in education; for those beginning
new courses at this time of year, especially for those who may be away from home for
the first time: that the Lord may guard them and guide them, and that they may know
the love and support of their families and communities. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of Zimbabwe, especially those who lack food and nourishment
amid the continuing uncertainty about their country's future: that their land may know
freedom, justice and hope for the future. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

We pray for those killed and injured in the recent political violence in Pakistan; and for
all those working to bring peace and stability. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

We pray for all those parts of the world afflicted by violence at this time, especially for
the peoples of Iraq and Afghanistan: that peace and reconciliation may flourish. Lord,
in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, you invite us all to share the heavenly banquet of your kingdom. We
ask you to help us live the life of the kingdom today, and to hear the prayers that we
make through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Saving and healing God,
you have promised
that those who have died with Christ
shall live with him:
Grant us grace to be continually thankful
for all you have done for us,
and in that thankfulness to be eager
to serve and live for others,
so that we and all your children
may rejoice in your salvation;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

May we be mindful of God's call to holiness
and be clothed in the practice of good works,
that we may come to God's banquet prepared
to feast with the whole world.Amen.

The opening prayer and the closing prayer are reprinted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.