OREMUS: 11 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 10 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, October 11, 2008
Elizabeth Fry, Prison  Reformer, 1845
Edith Cavell, Nurse, 1915

Blessed is your glorious name,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.
Heaven and earth are full of your praises:
Glory be to you, O God most high!

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

A Song of the Lord's Gracious Deeds (Isaiah 63.1-3a,7-9)

Who is this that comes from Edom,
coming from Bozrah, his garments stained crimson?
Who is this in glorious apparel,
marching in the greatness of his strength?
'It is I, who announce that right has won the day,
it is I,' says the Lord, 'for I am mighty to save.'
Why are your robes all red, O Lord,
and your garments like theirs who tread the winepress?
'I have trodden the winepress alone,
and from the peoples no one was with me.'
I will recount the gracious deeds of the Lord,
the praises of the Most High;
All that God has done for us in his mercy,
by his many acts of love.
For God said, 'Surely, they are my people,
my children who will not deal falsely,'
and he became their Saviour in all their distress.
So God redeemed them by his love and pity;
he lifted them up and carried them
through all the days of old.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 5:1-7]:

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God; to draw near to listen is better
than the sacrifice offered by fools; for they do not know how to keep from doing evil.
Never be rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be quick to utter a word before
God, for God is in heaven, and you upon earth; therefore let your words be few.

For dreams come with many cares, and a fool's voice with many words.

When you make a vow to God, do not delay fulfilling it; for he has no pleasure in
fools. Fulfil what you vow. It is better that you should not vow than that you should
vow and not fulfil it. Do not let your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before
the messenger that it was a mistake; why should God be angry at your words, and
destroy the work of your hands?

With many dreams come vanities and a multitude of words; but fear God.

HYMN
Words: Cyril A. Alington (1872-1955)   Hope Publishing Company
Used with permission
Tune: Hyfrydol, Rustington

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y021.html

Ye that know the Lord is gracious,
ye for whom a cornerstone
stands, of God elect and precious,
laid that ye may build thereon,
see that on that sure foundation
ye a living temple raise,
towers that may tell forth salvation,
walls that may re-echo praise.

Living stones, by God appointed
each to his allotted place,
kings and priests, by God anointed,
shall ye not declare his grace?
Ye, a royal generation,
tell the tidings of your birth,
tidings of a new creation
to an old and weary earth.

Tell the praise of him who called you
out of darkness into light,
broke the fetters that enthralled you,
gave you freedom, peace and sight:
tell the tale of sins forgiven,
strength renewed and hope restored,
till the earth, in tune with heaven,
praise and magnify the Lord.

SECOND READING [Matthew 21:33-end]:

Jesus said, 'Listen to another parable. There was a landowner who planted a vineyard,
put a fence around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a watch-tower. Then he leased it
to tenants and went to another country. When the harvest time had come, he sent his
slaves to the tenants to collect his produce. But the tenants seized his slaves and beat
one, killed another, and stoned another. Again he sent other slaves, more than the first;
and they treated them in the same way. Finally he sent his son to them, saying, "They
will respect my son." But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, "This
is the heir; come, let us kill him and get his inheritance." So they seized him, threw him
out of the vineyard, and killed him. Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what
will he do to those tenants?' They said to him, 'He will put those wretches to a
miserable death, and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the produce
at the harvest time.'

Jesus said to them, 'Have you never read in the scriptures:
"The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;
this was the Lord's doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes"?
Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a
people that produces the fruits of the kingdom. The one who falls on this stone will be
broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.'

When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was
speaking about them. They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because
they regarded him as a prophet.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Abide with us, Lord,
for the days are hastening on
and we hasten on with them.
Abide with us, Lord,
and with all your faithful people,
making yourself known
in the breaking of the word and of the bread.
Abide with us, Lord,
until the daystar rises
and the morning light appears,
and we shall live with you for ever and ever. Amen.

Father,
from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name,
your servants Elizabeth Fry and Edith Cavell
revealed your goodness in a life of service:
grant that we who have gathered in faith around this table
may like them know the love of Christ
that surpasses knowledge
and be filled with all your fullness;

Count your blessings name them one by one,
Count your blessings see what God has done,
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.  Amen.

The opening prayer and collect are adapted from Common Order, (c) 1994
The Church of Scotland. The closing prayer is adapted  from the Pray Now website
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/

The second collect is slightly adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

Elizabeth Gurney was born at Earlham in Norfolk in 1780. At the age of twenty, she
married Joseph Fry, a London merchant and a strict Quaker. She was admitted as a
minister in the Society of Friends and became a noted preacher. The appalling state of the
prisons came to her notice and she devoted much of her time to the welfare of female
prisoners in Newgate. In 1820 she took part in the formation of a nightly shelter for the
homeless in London. She travelled all over Europe in the cause of prison reform. She was
a woman of a strong Christian and evangelistic impulse and this inspired all her work. She
died on this day in 1845.
Edith Cavell was born into a clergy family at Swardeston in 1865. After life as a
governess, she trained as a nurse, ending up working with the Red Cross in Belgium in
1907. On the outbreak of the First World War, she became involved in caring for the
wounded on both sides. She refused repatriation and then began smuggling British soldiers
from Belgium into Holland. In 1915 she was arrested and brought to trial. Protecting
those who worked with her, she was sentenced to death and executed by firing squad on
this day in the year 1915. She went to her death calmly, forgiving her executioners,
convinced she had been doing her duty as a Christian. [Exciting Holiness]