OREMUS: 10 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 9 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, October 10, 2008
Paulinus, Bishop of York, Missionary, 644

Blessed is your glorious name,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.
Heaven and earth are full of your praises:
Glory be to you, O God most high!

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,' says the Lord.
'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 3:16-end]:

Moreover, I saw under the sun that in the place of justice, wickedness was there, and
in the place of righteousness, wickedness was there as well. I said in my heart, God
will judge the righteous and the wicked, for he has appointed a time for every matter,
and for every work. I said in my heart with regard to human beings that God is testing
them to show that they are but animals. For the fate of humans and the fate of animals
is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and humans
have no advantage over the animals; for all is vanity. All go to one place; all are from
the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knows whether the human spirit goes
upwards and the spirit of animals goes downwards to the earth? So I saw that there is
nothing better than that all should enjoy their work, for that is their lot; who can bring
them to see what will be after them?

HYMN
Words: Bernhardt Severin Ingemann, 1825;
trans. Sabine Baring-Gould, 1867
Tune: Ton-y-Botel (Ebenezer), St. Asaph, Rustington, Sussex, St. Oswald

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t670.html

Through the night of doubt and sorrow,
onward goes the pilgrim band,
singing songs of expectation,
marching to the promised land.
Clear before us through the darkness
gleams and burns the guiding light:
trusting God we march together
stepping fearless through the night.

One the light of God's own presence,
o'er his ransomed people shed,
chasing far the gloom and terror,
brightening all the path we tread:
one the object of our journey,
one the faith which never tires,
one the earnest looking forward,
one the hope our God inspires.

One the strain the lips of thousands
lift as from the heart of one;
one the conflict, one the peril,
one the march in God begun:
one the gladness of rejoicing
on the far eternal shore,
where the one almighty Father
reigns in love for evermore.

Onward, therefore, pilgrim brothers,
onward with the cross our aid;
bear its shame, and fight its battle,
till we rest beneath its shade.
Soon shall come the great awaking,
soon the rending of the tomb;
then the scattering of all shadows,
and the end of toil and gloom.

SECOND READING [Matthew 21:17-32]:

Jesus left them, went out of the city to Bethany, and spent the night there.

In the morning, when he returned to the city, he was hungry. And seeing a fig tree by
the side of the road, he went to it and found nothing at all on it but leaves. Then he
said to it, 'May no fruit ever come from you again!' And the fig tree withered at once.
When the disciples saw it, they were amazed, saying, 'How did the fig tree wither at
once?' Jesus answered them, 'Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not
only will you do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this
mountain, "Be lifted up and thrown into the sea", it will be done. Whatever you ask
for in prayer with faith, you will receive.'

When he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him
as he was teaching, and said, 'By what authority are you doing these things, and who
gave you this authority?' Jesus said to them, 'I will also ask you one question; if you
tell me the answer, then I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. Did the
baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?' And they argued with
one another, 'If we say, "From heaven", he will say to us, "Why then did you not
believe him?" But if we say, "Of human origin", we are afraid of the crowd; for all
regard John as a prophet.' So they answered Jesus, 'We do not know.' And he said to
them, 'Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.

'What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, "Son, go and
work in the vineyard today." He answered, "I will not"; but later he changed his mind
and went. The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered, "I go,
sir"; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?' They said, 'The
first.' Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax-collectors and the prostitutes are
going into the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you in the way of
righteousness and you did not believe him, but the tax-collectors and the prostitutes
believed him; and even after you saw it, you did not change your minds and believe
him.

Great are you, Lord, and greatly to be praised!
There is no end to your greatness.
Let your Spirit shape and make new our character,
encourage us in constant prayer,
direct us in the way of love
and bring us at last to heaven with all your saints in light.

All that is unfinished in us and in the world,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every aspiration, longing and dream
crushed by temptation, sin and dullness of heart,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Holy Church seeking to offer you worship
in every place and culture
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every people and tribe oppressed
by the greed and prejudice of others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

The empty and hungry places in our spirits
and in our relationships with others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Loving God,
your Son willingly endured agony and shame for us.
Give us grace to take up our cross and follow him,
till at the last we come with him to glory,
where he lives and reigns
with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God our Saviour,
who sent Paulinus to preach and to baptize,
and so to build up your Church:
grant that, inspired by his example,
we may tell all the world of your truth,
that with him we may receive the reward
you prepare for all your faithful servants;

God,
of immeasurable love
of family beyond convention
of trust beyond understanding
bless us  through Christ your given son. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from Common Order, (c) 1994 The Church of
Scotland. The closing prayer is adapted  from the Pray Now website
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/

The intercession reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily
Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of
Saint Luke. Used by permission.

In the middle 400's the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain, driving the Christian Britons
north and west into Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. In 597 a band of monks
headed by Augustine of Canterbury (feast 26 May--not to be confused with Augustine of
Hippo) arrived in southeastern England, in the kingdom of Kent, and began to evangelize
the people there, with considerable success. In 601 a second group of monks arrived,
including Paulinus (born around 584). Sometime after 616, Edwin, the pagan king of
Northumbria (the region north of the Humber river--roughly the northern quarter of
England), asked for the hand in marriage of Ethelburga, the sister of the king of Kent. He
was told that a Christian princess could not marry a pagan, but he promised that she
would be free to practice her religion, and that he would listen to Christian preachers, and
seriously consider becoming a Christian himself. At this Ethelburga agreed to marry him,
and went north in 625, taking with her as chaplain the monk Paulinus, who was
consecrated bishop for the purpose. Edwin heard the preaching of Paulinus for many
months, and finally consulted his advisors. Coifi, the high priest of the pagan religion,
advised adopting Christianity, since he said that the pagan religion had not proved
satisfactory. Another nobleman agreed, saying: "Life is like a banquet hall. Inside is light
and fire and warmth and feasting, but outside it is cold and dark. A sparrow flies in
through a window at one end, flies the length of the hall, and out through a window at the
other end. That is what life is like. At birth we emerge from the unknown, and for a brief
while we are here on this earth, with a fair amount of comfort and happiness. But then we
fly out the window at the other end, into the cold and dark and unknown future. If the
new religion can lighten that darkness for us, then let us follow it." The other elders and
counselors of the king gave similar advice, and so in 627 the king and many of his chief
men were baptized. Other conversions followed, and the Church in Northumbria
flourished. However, six years later, King Edwin was defeated and killed by Cadwallon of
Wales and Penda of Mercia at the battle of Hatfield Chase. Paulinus left his deacon James
in charge of what remained of the Church there, and took Queen Ethelburga and her
children back to Kent by ship. There the elderly Paulinus was given the bishopric of
Rochester, which he held till his death on 10 October 644. [James Kiefer]