OREMUS: 9 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 8 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, October 9, 2008
Robert Grosseteste, Bishop of Lincoln, Philosopher, Scientist, 1253

Blessed is your glorious name,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.
Heaven and earth are full of your praises:
Glory be to you, O God most high!

By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept,*
 when we remembered you, O Zion.
As for our harps, we hung them up*
 on the trees in the midst of that land.
For those who led us away captive asked us for a song,
   and our oppressors called for mirth:*
 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion.'
How shall we sing the Lord's song*
 upon an alien soil?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,*
 let my right hand forget its skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth
   if I do not remember you,*
 if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)

Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, 9-15]:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;

What gain have the workers from their toil? I have seen the business that God has
given to everyone to be busy with. He has made everything suitable for its time;
moreover, he has put a sense of past and future into their minds, yet they cannot find
out what God has done from the beginning to the end. I know that there is nothing
better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live; moreover,
it is God's gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in all their toil. I know
that whatever God does endures for ever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything
taken from it; God has done this, so that all should stand in awe before him. That
which is, already has been; that which is to be, already is; and God seeks out what has
gone by.

HYMN
Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1861
Tune: Monkland

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p060.html

Praise, O praise our God and King;
hymns of adoration sing;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Praise him that he made the sun
day by day his course to run;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure;

and the silver moon by night,
shining with her gentle light;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Praise him that he gave the rain
to mature the swelling grain;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure;

and hath bid the fruitful field
crops of precious increase yield;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Praise him for our harvest-store,
he hath filled the garner-floor;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

And for richer food than this,
pledge of everlasting bliss;
for his mercies still endure
ever faithful, ever sure.

Glory to our bounteous King;
glory let creation sing;
glory to the Father, Son,
and blest Spirit, Three in One.

SECOND READING [Matthew 21:1-16]:

When they had come near Jerusalem and had reached Bethphage, at the Mount of
Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, 'Go into the village ahead of you, and
immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them
to me. If anyone says anything to you, just say this, "The Lord needs them." And he
will send them immediately.' This took place to fulfil what had been spoken through
the prophet, saying,
'Tell the daughter of Zion,
Look, your king is coming to you,
   humble, and mounted on a donkey,
     and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.'
The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them; they brought the donkey and
the colt, and put their cloaks on them, and he sat on them. A very large crowd spread
their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on
the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and that followed were shouting,
'Hosanna to the Son of David!
   Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
Hosanna in the highest heaven!'
When he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in turmoil, asking, 'Who is this?' The
crowds were saying, 'This is the prophet Jesus from Nazareth in Galilee.'

 Then Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who were selling and buying in the
temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who
sold doves. He said to them, 'It is written,
"My house shall be called a house of prayer";
   but you are making it a den of robbers.'

 The blind and the lame came to him in the temple, and he cured them. But when the
chief priests and the scribes saw the amazing things that he did, and heard the children
crying out in the temple, 'Hosanna to the Son of David', they became angry and said
to him, 'Do you hear what these are saying?' Jesus said to them, 'Yes; have you never
read,
"Out of the mouths of infants and nursing babies
   you have prepared praise for yourself"?'

Almighty and gracious God,
we bless you for your mercy in Christ
and your nearness by the Word and the Spirit.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of love:

the life and witness of your Church,
Generous God, hear us.

the world and its longing,
especially for peace wherever conflict persists.
Generous God, hear us.

the cares of our own lives,
Generous God, hear us.

and those particular concerns your Spirit awakens in us,
Generous God, hear us.

Guide us, O Lord,
in all the changes of life,
that we may neither complain in adversity
nor boast in prosperity;
but with faith, hope, and love,
may follow your divine will;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
who raised up your faithful servant Robert Grosseteste
to be a bishop and pastor in your Church and to feed your flock;
Give abundantly to all pastors the gifts of your Holy Spirit,
that they may minister in your household as true servants of Christ
and stewards of your divine mysteries;

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,
Move us today. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from Common Order, (c) 1994 The Church of
Scotland. The closing prayer is adapted  from the Pray Now website
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/

Had the leaders of the thirteenth century heeded this preacher, many of the
disasters of the following three centuries might have been avoided. Robert was
a peasant lad from Suffolk, born about 1175. He distinguished himself at
Oxford in law, medicine, languages, natural sciences, and theology. He became
what is now called Chancellor of Oxford University.
In 1235, he was elected Bishop of Lincoln, in area the largest diocese in
England. He promptly visited all the churches in the diocese and quickly
removed many of the prominent clergy because they were neglectng their
pastoral duties. He vigorously opposed the practice by which the Pope
appointed Italians as absentee clergy for English churches (collecting salaries
from said churches without ever setting foot in the country). He insisted that
his priests spend their time in the service of their people, in prayer, and in
study. He went on a pilgrimage to Rome, where he spoke out boldly against
ecclesiastical abuses. Back in England, he spoke against unlawful usurpations
of power by the monarch, and was one of those present at the signing of the
Magna Carta.
Grosseteste's scholarly writings embraced many fields of learning. He
translated into Latin the Ethics of Aristotle and the theological works of John
of Damascus and of the fifth-century writer known as Dionysius the
Areopagite. He was skilled in poetry, music, architecture, mathematics,
astronomy, optics, and physics (one of his pupils was Roger Bacon). His
writings on the first chapter of Genesis include an interesting anticipation of
modern cosmological ideas. (He read that the first thing created was light, and
said that the universe began with pure energy exploding from a point source.)
He knew Hebrew and Greek, and his Biblical studies were a notable
contribution to the scholarship of the day. [James Kiefer]