OREMUS: 8 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 7 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Blessed is your glorious name,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.
Heaven and earth are full of your praises:
Glory be to you, O God most high!

Alleluia!  Praise the name of the Lord;*
 give praise, you servants of the Lord,
You who stand in the house of the Lord,*
 in the courts of the house of our God.
Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good;*
 sing praises to his name, for it is lovely.
For the Lord has chosen Jacob for himself*
 and Israel for his own possession.
For I know that the Lord is great,*
 and that our Lord is above all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
   in heaven and on earth,*
 in the seas and all the deeps.
He brings up rain clouds from the ends of the earth;*
 he sends out lightning with the rain,
   and brings the winds out of his storehouse.
It was he who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 the first-born both of human and beast.
He sent signs and wonders
   into the midst of you, O Egypt,*
 against Pharaoh and all his servants.
He overthrew many nations*
 and put mighty kings to death:
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   and Og, the king of Bashan,*
 and all the kingdoms of Canaan.
He gave their land to be an inheritance,*
 an inheritance for Israel his people.
O Lord, your name is everlasting;*
 your renown, O Lord, endures from age to age.
For the Lord gives his people justice*
 and shows compassion to his servants.
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see.
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 neither is there any breath in their mouth.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
Bless the Lord, O house of Israel;*
 O house of Aaron, bless the Lord.
Bless the Lord, O house of Levi;*
 you who fear the Lord, bless the Lord.
Blessed be the Lord out of Zion,*
 who dwells in Jerusalem. Alleluia!

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;
Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,
As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.
For Zion's sake I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,
Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.
The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;
Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.
You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 2:18-end]:

I hated all my toil in which I had toiled under the sun, seeing that I must leave it to
those who come after me  and who knows whether they will be wise or foolish? Yet
they will be master of all for which I toiled and used my wisdom under the sun. This
also is vanity. So I turned and gave my heart up to despair concerning all the toil of my
labours under the sun, because sometimes one who has toiled with wisdom and
knowledge and skill must leave all to be enjoyed by another who did not toil for it.
This also is vanity and a great evil. What do mortals get from all the toil and strain
with which they toil under the sun? For all their days are full of pain, and their work is
a vexation; even at night their minds do not rest. This also is vanity.

There is nothing better for mortals than to eat and drink, and find enjoyment in their
toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God; for apart from him who can eat or who
can have enjoyment? For to the one who pleases him God gives wisdom and
knowledge and joy; but to the sinner he gives the work of gathering and heaping, only
to give to one who pleases God. This also is vanity and a chasing after wind.

HYMN
Words: Scottish Psalter, 1650
Tune: York

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p120.html

Pray that Jerusalem may have
peace and felicity:
let them that love thee and thy peace
have still prosperity.

Therefore I wish that peace may still
within thy walls remain,
and ever may thy palaces
prosperity retain.

Now, for my friends and brethren's sake,
peace be in thee, I'll say,
and for the house of God our Lord
I'll seek thy good alway.

SECOND READING [Matthew 20:17-end]:

While Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples aside by
themselves, and said to them on the way, 'See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the
Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn
him to death; then they will hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged
and crucified; and on the third day he will be raised.'

Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling
before him, she asked a favour of him. And he said to her, 'What do you want?' She
said to him, 'Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one at your right hand and
one at your left, in your kingdom.' But Jesus answered, 'You do not know what you
are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?' They said to him,
'We are able.' He said to them, 'You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right
hand and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been
prepared by my Father.'

When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two brothers. But Jesus called them to
him and said, 'You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their
great ones are tyrants over them. It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to
be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you
must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to
give his life a ransom for many.'

As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. There were two blind men
sitting by the roadside. When they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted,
'Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!' The crowd sternly ordered them to be quiet;
but they shouted even more loudly, 'Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!' Jesus
stood still and called them, saying, 'What do you want me to do for you?' They said to
him, 'Lord, let our eyes be opened.' Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their
eyes. Immediately they regained their sight and followed him.

Under your holy wings, you gather us, O God,
and you shelter us by your grace.

Together in faith communities,
you call us share your love and mercy.
Gather us in, O God.

We give you thanks for all that gives shape to life in community:
devotion to apostolic teaching,
sharing in fellowship around your Word and Table,
continuous prayer for the world and the Church.
Gather us in, O God.

Save your Church from formless piety.
Gather us in, O God.

Help families and the leaders of households to pattern faith.
Gather us in, O God.

Choose and renew our leaders for disciple-making.
Gather us in, O God.

Uphold those who seek peace with justice.
Gather us in, O God.

Give light to all who strive to discern what is right.
Gather us in, O God.

Comfort the dying.
Gather us in, O God.

Heal the broken and suffering.
Gather us in, O God.

Ever-present God,
this day enfolds us and surrounds us:
be in our speaking and in our thinking;
be in our life and on our lips;
be in our hearts and in our souls;
today and for ever. Amen.

May today take us one step further than we intended
and allow us to celebrate in finding God waiting there. Amen.

The opening prayer and collect are from Common Order, (c) 1994 The
Church of Scotland. The closing prayer is adapted  from the Pray Now website
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.