OREMUS: 7 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 6 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Blessed is your glorious name,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.
Heaven and earth are full of your praises:
Glory be to you, O God most high!

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your resting-place,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my resting-place for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
'As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.'

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1,2,3b-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,
But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.
The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.
The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.
They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 2:1-11]:

I said to myself, 'Come now, I will make a test of pleasure; enjoy yourself.' But again,
this also was vanity. I said of laughter, 'It is mad', and of pleasure, 'What use is it?' I
searched with my mind how to cheer my body with wine my mind still guiding me
with wisdom and how to lay hold on folly, until I might see what was good for
mortals to do under heaven during the few days of their life. I made great works; I
built houses and planted vineyards for myself; I made myself gardens and parks, and
planted in them all kinds of fruit trees. I made myself pools from which to water the
forest of growing trees. I bought male and female slaves, and had slaves who were
born in my house; I also had great possessions of herds and flocks, more than any who
had been before me in Jerusalem. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the
treasure of kings and of the provinces; I got singers, both men and women, and
delights of the flesh, and many concubines.

So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem; also my
wisdom remained with me. Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them; I kept
my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my
reward for all my toil. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had
spent in doing it, and again, all was vanity and a chasing after wind, and there was
nothing to be gained under the sun.

HYMN
Words: R.T. Brooks (c) Used with permission
Tune: St. Helen, Regent Square

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t062.html

Thanks to God whose Word was spoken
in the deed that made the earth.
His the voice that called a nation;
his the fires that tried her worth.
God has spoken, God has spoken:
praise God for his open word.

Thanks to God whose Word incarnate
heights and depths of life did share.
Deeds and words and death and rising,
grace in human form declare.
God has spoken, God has spoken:
praise God for his open word.

Thanks to God whose word was written
in the Bible's sacred page,
record of the revelation
showing God to every age.
God has spoken, God has spoken:
praise God for his open word.

Thanks to God whose word is published
in the tongues of every race.
See its glory undiminished
by the change of time and place.
God has spoken, God has spoken:
praise God for his open word.

Thanks to God whose Word is answered
by the Spirit's voice within.
Here we drink of joy unmeasured,
life redeemed from death and sin.
God is speaking, God is speaking:
praise God for his open word.

SECOND READING [Matthew 20:1-16]:

Jesus said, 'For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the
morning to hire labourers for his vineyard. After agreeing with the labourers for the
usual daily wage, he sent them into his vineyard. When he went out about nine
o'clock, he saw others standing idle in the market-place; and he said to them, "You
also go into the vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right." So they went. When
he went out again about noon and about three o'clock, he did the same. And about
five o'clock he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, "Why
are you standing here idle all day?" They said to him, "Because no one has hired us."
He said to them, "You also go into the vineyard." When evening came, the owner of
the vineyard said to his manager, "Call the labourers and give them their pay,
beginning with the last and then going to the first." When those hired about five
o'clock came, each of them received the usual daily wage. Now when the first came,
they thought they would receive more; but each of them also received the usual daily
wage. And when they received it, they grumbled against the landowner, saying, "These
last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the
burden of the day and the scorching heat." But he replied to one of them, "Friend, I
am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage? Take
what belongs to you and go; I choose to give to this last the same as I give to you. Am
I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or are you envious
because I am generous?" So the last will be first, and the first will be last.'

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

Eternal God,
shed your light on those who watch for you.
May our lips always paise you,
our hearts bless you,
and our lives give you glory;

May our footsteps be taken justly,
our words said kindly,
our life lived fully,
and God always by our side.  Amen.

The opening prayer and collect are from Common Order, (c) 1994 The
Church of Scotland. The closing prayer is adapted  from the Pray Now website
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/

The intercession is by Stephen Benner