OREMUS: 5 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 4 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, October 5, 2008
The Twenty-First Sunday after Pentecost

Let all the earth acclaim God,
sing to the glory of God's name.
Come and see what God has done,
let the sound of praise be heard. Amen.

Blessed is your glorious name,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
worthy of praise from every mouth,
of confession from every tongue,
of worship from every creature.
You created the world in your grace,
and by your compassion you redeemed it.
Heaven and earth are full of your praises:
Glory be to you, O God most high!

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;
In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.
He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.
All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.
In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 31:31-37]:

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the
house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made
with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of
Egypt a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But
this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the
Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be
their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say
to each other, 'Know the Lord', for they shall all know me, from the least of them to
the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no
more.

Thus says the Lord,
who gives the sun for light by day
   and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night,
who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar
   the Lord of hosts is his name:
If this fixed order were ever to cease
   from my presence, says the Lord,
then also the offspring of Israel would cease
   to be a nation before me for ever.

Thus says the Lord:
If the heavens above can be measured,
   and the foundations of the earth below can be explored,
then I will reject all the offspring of Israel
   because of all they have done,
says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1848
Tune: Eternity

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e066.html

Every morning the red sun
rises warm and bright;
but the evening cometh on,
and the dark, cold night.
There's a bright land far away,
where 'tis never-ending day.

Every spring sweet young flowers
open bright and gay,
till the chilly autumn hours
wither them away.
There's a land we have not seen,
where the trees are always green.

Little birds sing songs of praise
all the summer long,
but in colder, shorter days
they forget their song.
There's a place where angels sing
ceaseless praises to their King.

Christ our Lord is ever near
those who follow him;
but we cannot see him here,
for our eyes are dim;
there is a most happy place,
where men always see his face.

Who shall go to that bright land?
All who do the right;
holy children there shall stand
in their robes of white;
for that heaven, so bright and blest,
is our everlasting rest.

SECOND READING [John 13:31-35]:

When he had gone out, Jesus said, 'Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God
has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in
himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer.
You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, "Where I am
going, you cannot come." I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.
Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know
that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.'

The Lord calls us to bear the fruits of justice and integrity. Let us then bring our needs,
and the needs of the world, to God.

We pray for those throughout the world who are struggling as a result of the current
financial problems; for those who have lost homes, jobs or security: may we all learn
to put self-interest aside and care for the good of all humankind. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

We pray for the work of the aid agencies who bring hope and relief to those in our
world who are poor: that they may be a sign of our solidarity with all those who are
vulnerable and who live in poverty, and that it may bring hope and comfort to all those
in need. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for all those who live with HIV and Aids: may they be freed from stigma and
discrimination, and receive the help and support they need. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, amid the continuing violence in those
lands, and for all those who are seeking to bring peace to the troubled places of the
world. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, you call us to bring all our prayers and thanksgiving to you. We ask
you to hear the prayers that we make today, through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus was the stone rejected by the builders,
and, by your doing, he has been made the chief cornerstone:
Grant that, by the power of his Spirit working in us,
we may become living stones built up into your dwelling place,
a temple holy and acceptable to you;
through Jesus Christ, our Lord,
one God, forever and ever.  Amen.

May the God of peace
make us holy through and through,
and keep us sound in spirit, soul, and body,
free of any fault
when our Lord Jesus Christ comes. Amen.

The opening prayer and the closing prayer are adapted from Common Order,
(c) 1994 The Church of Scotland.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.