OREMUS: 3 October 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 2 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, October 3, 2008

Blessed are you, God of our salvation,
we falter before the demands of your word
and turn away from your call to life.
Yet you pour out your mercy on us
as you showed mercy to your people of old,
that we may turn from our sinfulness
and walk the path of self-emptying love
made known in Jesus Christ.

Rulers have persecuted me without a cause,*
 but my heart stands in awe of your word.
I am as glad because of your promise*
 as one who finds great spoils.
As for lies, I hate and abhor them,*
 but your law is my love.
Seven times a day do I praise you,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
Great peace have they who love your law;*
 for them there is no stumbling block.
I have hoped for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and I have fulfilled your commandments.
I have kept your decrees*
 and I have loved them deeply.
I have kept your commandments and decrees,*
 for all my ways are before you.

Let my cry come before you, O Lord;*
 give me understanding, according to your word.
Let my supplication come before you;*
 deliver me, according to your promise.
My lips shall pour forth your praise,*
 when you teach me your statutes.
My tongue shall sing of your promise,*
 for all your commandments are righteous.
Let your hand be ready to help me,*
 for I have chosen your commandments.
I long for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and your law is my delight.
Let me live and I will praise you,*
 and let your judgements help me.
I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost;*
 search for your servant,
   for I do not forget your commandments.

A Song of Praise (Revelation 4.11; 5.9b,10)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.
For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.
You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 39:19-end]:

The Lord said,
'Do you give the horse its might?
   Do you clothe its neck with mane?
Do you make it leap like the locust?
   Its majestic snorting is terrible.
It paws violently, exults mightily;
   it goes out to meet the weapons.
It laughs at fear, and is not dismayed;
   it does not turn back from the sword.
Upon it rattle the quiver,
   the flashing spear, and the javelin.
With fierceness and rage it swallows the ground;
   it cannot stand still at the sound of the trumpet.
When the trumpet sounds, it says "Aha!"
   From a distance it smells the battle,
   the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.

'Is it by your wisdom that the hawk soars,
   and spreads its wings towards the south?
Is it at your command that the eagle mounts up
   and makes its nest on high?
It lives on the rock and makes its home
   in the fastness of the rocky crag.
>From there it spies the prey;
   its eyes see it from far away.
Its young ones suck up blood;
   and where the slain are, there it is.'

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c) Used with permission
Tune: Jerusalem

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o101.html

O day of peace that dimly shines
through all our hopes and prayers and dreams,
guide us to justice, truth, and love,
delivered from our selfish schemes.
May the swords of hate fall from our hands,
our hearts from envy find release,
till by God's grace our warring world
shall see Christ's promised reign of peace.

Then shall the wolf dwell with the lamb,
nor shall the fierce devour the small;
as beasts and cattle calmly graze,
a little child shall lead them all.
Then enemies shall learn to love,
all creatures find their true accord;
the hope of peace shall be fulfilled,
for all the earth shall know the Lord.

SECOND READING [Matthew 18:15-end]:

Jesus said, 'If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the
fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained
that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that
every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the
member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to
listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector.
Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever
you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree
on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For
where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.'

Then Peter came and said to him, 'Lord, if another member of the church sins against
me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'Not
seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times.

'For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to
settle accounts with his slaves. When he began the reckoning, one who owed him ten
thousand talents was brought to him; and, as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to
be sold, together with his wife and children and all his possessions, and payment to be
made. So the slave fell on his knees before him, saying, "Have patience with me, and I
will pay you everything." And out of pity for him, the lord of that slave released him
and forgave him the debt. But that same slave, as he went out, came upon one of his
fellow-slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat, he said,
"Pay what you owe." Then his fellow-slave fell down and pleaded with him, "Have
patience with me, and I will pay you." But he refused; then he went and threw him into
prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow-slaves saw what had happened,
they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken
place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, "You wicked slave! I forgave you
all that debt because you pleaded with me. Should you not have had mercy on your
fellow-slave, as I had mercy on you?" And in anger his lord handed him over to be
tortured until he should pay his entire debt. So my heavenly Father will also do to
every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother or sister from your heart.'

Great are you, Lord, and greatly to be praised!
There is no end to your greatness.
Let your Spirit shape and make new our character,
encourage us in constant prayer,
direct us in the way of love
and bring us at last to heaven with all your saints in light.

All that is unfinished in us and in the world,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every aspiration, longing and dream
crushed by temptation, sin and dullness of heart,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Holy Church seeking to offer you worship
in every place and culture
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every people and tribe oppressed
by the greed and prejudice of others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

The empty and hungry places in our spirits
and in our relationships with others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

As of old, O Lord our God,
you gave commandments to make one nation just and true,
so by your incarnate Word you make all peoples
one in grace and in the perfect freedom of your service.
We give thanks to you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,
copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts. The closing prayer use phrases
from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com