OREMUS: 1 December 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 30 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, December 1, 2008
World AIDS Day

Blessed are you, God of life and health,
forever promising,
giving new dreams
and speaking new possibilities
giving your Spirit so all your children can breathe free.
In Jesus Christ, you have drawn close to us.
During this time of expectant waiting
inspire within our hearts a militant hope
so we can make visible the values of your kingdom,
the kingdom of your beloved son, our savior and brother.

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9)

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,
Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.
They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.
For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,
And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.
The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.
For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 1:1-9]:

The vision of Isaiah son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in
the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.

Hear, O heavens, and listen, O earth;
   for the Lord has spoken:
I reared children and brought them up,
   but they have rebelled against me.
The ox knows its owner,
   and the donkey its master's crib;
but Israel does not know,
   my people do not understand.

Ah, sinful nation,
   people laden with iniquity,
offspring who do evil,
   children who deal corruptly,
who have forsaken the Lord,
   who have despised the Holy One of Israel,
   who are utterly estranged!

Why do you seek further beatings?
   Why do you continue to rebel?
The whole head is sick,
   and the whole heart faint.
>From the sole of the foot even to the head,
   there is no soundness in it,
but bruises and sores
   and bleeding wounds;
they have not been drained, or bound up,
   or softened with oil.

Your country lies desolate,
   your cities are burned with fire;
in your very presence
   aliens devour your land;
   it is desolate, as overthrown by foreigners.
And daughter Zion is left
   like a booth in a vineyard,
like a shelter in a cucumber field,
   like a besieged city.
If the Lord of hosts
   had not left us a few survivors,
we would have been like Sodom,
   and become like Gomorrah.

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Angelus, Bow Brickhill, Daniel, Ely, Invercarry, Melcombe

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o043.html

O Christ, the healer, we have come
to pray for health, to plead for friends.
How can we fail to be restored,
when reached by love that never ends?

>From every ailment flesh endures
our bodies clamor to be freed;
yet in our hearts we would confess
that wholeness is our deepest need.

How strong, O Lord, are our desires,
how weak our knowledge of ourselves!
Release in us those healing truths
unconscious pride resists or shelves.

In conflicts that destroy our health,
we diagnose the world's disease;
our common life declares our ills:
is there no cure, O Christ, for these?

Grant that we all, made one in faith,
in your community may find
the wholeness that, enriching us,
shall reach the whole of humankind.

SECOND READING [Mark 1:1-13]:

The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

 As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
'See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
   who will prepare your way;
the voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
   "Prepare the way of the Lord,
   make his paths straight" ',

John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for
the forgiveness of sins. And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the
people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river
Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel's hair, with a leather
belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, 'The one who
is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie
the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with
the Holy Spirit.'

In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the
Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart
and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, 'You are
my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.'

And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. He was in the
wilderness for forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the
angels waited on him.

We praise you, Holy One, for the gift of life,
precious, stubborn, fragile and beautiful;
We are grateful for the time we have to live upon the earth,
to love, to grow, to be.

We give thanks for the will to live
and for our capacity to live fully
all of the days that we are given;
 and for those who have taken
from the devastation of AIDS
the opportunity to build lives of wholeness.

We give you thanks for the partners,
friends, caregivers and families
who have been steadfast in their love;
for the people who have devoted their life's work
to the prevention, treatment and healing of HIV
with passion and commitment,

For the diligent science,
brilliant ideas and insights
that have led to new, life-giving treatments,
For the governments who have acted
to provide health care
for people living with HIV.

We give thanks for those whose prejudice and judgment
have yielded to understanding,
For those who have overcome fear,
indifference or burnout
to embrace a life of caring compassion.

We praise you, Eternal One,
for those who have loved enough
that their hearts have broken,
who cherish the memories of those we have lost,
and for those who console the grieving.

God, grant us the love, courage, tenacity, and will
to continue to make a difference in a world with HIV;
Inspire us to challenge the forces
that allow the needless spread of AIDS to continue --
prejudice, unjust laws, repression, prudery, stigma and fear.
Into your care we trust and lift up those who have contracted HIV.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of truth and justice,
watch over your people in adversity,
that we may know the wonders of your love
and see the glory of your presence;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

- The Lord's Prayer

Lord, you have no other body than ours,
you have no other hands than ours,
Your only feet belong to us
And ours are the eyes that with your compassion look at the world.
Ours are the feet with which you walk around doing good
Ours are the hands with which we now bless.
Lord, here are our bodies, our whole lives. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from prayers used at the International
AIDS Conference in Ontario in 2006.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from The Metropolitan Community
Church.