OREMUS: 28 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 27 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, November 28, 2008

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,c,6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.
By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;
To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.
Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,
For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.
Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.
With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.
She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.
Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.
That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Wisdom 12:12-19]:

For who will say, 'What have you done?'
or will resist your judgement?
Who will accuse you for the destruction of nations that you made?
Or who will come before you to plead as an advocate for the unrighteous?
For neither is there any god besides you, whose care is for all people,
to whom you should prove that you have not judged unjustly;
nor can any king or monarch confront you about those whom you have
punished.
You are righteous and you rule all things righteously,
deeming it alien to your power
to condemn anyone who does not deserve to be punished.
For your strength is the source of righteousness,
and your sovereignty over all causes you to spare all.
For you show your strength
when people doubt the completeness of your power,
and you rebuke any insolence among those who know it.
Although you are sovereign in strength, you judge with mildness,
and with great forbearance you govern us;
for you have power to act whenever you choose.

Through such works you have taught your people
that the righteous must be kind,
and you have filled your children with good hope,
because you give repentance for sins.

HYMN
Words:   Marnie Barrell, 1995. Used with permission.
Tune: Ashburton

All who would see God's greatness,
draw near, bend down, look low:
see how love appears among us
as small as a child. Then go,
tell of the greatness made so small,
tiny and hidden, God of all.

If you would share God's riches,
draw near, reach out and touch:
God has only love to offer,
enough for us, and too much.
Take up God's treasure, made so poor,
naked the God that we adore.

Would you receive God's power?
Draw near, find strength in this:
laid open to all our violence
is love that will not resist.
This is our God, who chose to be
tied with our bonds to set us free.

Stand in the holy silence
while earth with heaven sings
that here in our hands for holding
is love that sustains all things.
Strange is this love that draws us near:
Glory of God, among us here.

SECOND READING [Revelation 3:1-6]:

To the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the
seven spirits of God and the seven stars:

'I know your works; you have a name for being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and
strengthen what remains and is at the point of death, for I have not found your works
perfect in the sight of my God. Remember then what you received and heard; obey it,
and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at
what hour I will come to you. Yet you have still a few people in Sardis who have not
soiled their clothes; they will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. If you
conquer, you will be clothed like them in white robes, and I will not blot your name out
of the book of life; I will confess your name before my Father and before his angels. Let
anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

Let us pray for the peace of the world:
for diplomats and rulers,
that they may wisdom to know
and courage to do what is right...

for all who work to improve international relationships,
that they may find the true way
to reconcile people of different races, colours, and creeds...

and for men and women the world over,
that they may have justice and freedom,
and live in security and peace...

Lord, in your mercy,
Hear our prayer.

Most gracious God and Father,
in whose will is our peace:
turn our hearts and the hearts of all to yourself,
that by the power of your Spirit
the peace which is founded on righteousness
may be established throughout the whole world;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let us pray for all who suffer as a result of war:
We remember especially today the victims
of violence in Mumbai, Afghanistan, Thailand and the Congo.

for the injured and disabled,
for the mentally distressed,
and for those whose faith in God and humankind
has been weakened or destroyed...

for the homeless and refugees,
for those who are hungry,
and for all who have lost their livelihood and security...

for those who mourn their dead,
those who have lost husbands or wives,
children or parents,
and especially for those who have no hope in Christ
to sustain them in their grief...

Lord, in your mercy,
Hear our prayer.

Almighty God, our heavenly Father,
infinite in wisdom, love, and power:
have compassion on those for whom we pray;
and help us to use all suffering
in the cause of your kingdom;
through him who gave himself for us on the cross,
Jesus Christ your Son, our Lord. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is _The Promise of His Glory_  (Mowbray), (c) The
Central Board of Finance of the Church of England.