OREMUS: 26 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 25 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Solomon (cf Song of Solomon 8.6,7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.
If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Wisdom 10:1-4, 15-21]:

Wisdom protected the first-formed father of the world, when he alone had been
created;
she delivered him from his transgression,
and gave him strength to rule all things.
But when an unrighteous man departed from her in his anger,
he perished because in rage he killed his brother.
When the earth was flooded because of him, wisdom again saved it,
steering the righteous man by a paltry piece of wood.

A holy people and blameless race
wisdom delivered from a nation of oppressors.
She entered the soul of a servant of the Lord,
and withstood dread kings with wonders and signs.
She gave to holy people the reward of their labours;
she guided them along a marvellous way,
and became a shelter to them by day,
and a starry flame through the night.
She brought them over the Red Sea,
and led them through deep waters;
but she drowned their enemies,
and cast them up from the depths of the sea.
Therefore the righteous plundered the ungodly;
they sang hymns, O Lord, to your holy name,
and praised with one accord your defending hand;
for wisdom opened the mouths of those who were mute,
and made the tongues of infants speak clearly.

HYMN

Words: William Whiting, 1860;
as revised in Hymns Ancient and Modern, 1861;
Tune: Melita

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e038.html

Eternal Father, strong to save,
whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
its own appointed limits keep:
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

O Christ, whose voice the waters heard
and hushed their raging at thy word,
who walkedst on the foaming deep,
and calm amid the storm didst sleep;
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

Most Holy Spirit, who didst brood
upon the chaos dark and rude,
and bid its angry tumult cease,
and give, for wild confusion, peace:
O hear us when we cry to thee
for those in peril on the sea.

O Trinity of love and power,
our brethren shield in danger's hour;
from rock and tempest, fire and foe,
protect them wheresoe'er they go;
thus evermore shall rise to thee
glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

SECOND READING [Revelation 2:1-11]:

'To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds
the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands:

'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance. I know that you cannot
tolerate evildoers; you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and
have found them to be false. I also know that you are enduring patiently and bearing
up for the sake of my name, and that you have not grown weary. But I have this
against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember then from
what you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to
you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. Yet this is to your
credit: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. Let anyone who has
an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches. To everyone who conquers, I
will give permission to eat from the tree of life that is in the paradise of God.

'And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of the first and
the last, who was dead and came to life:

'I know your affliction and your poverty, even though you are rich. I know the slander
on the part of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of
Satan. Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Beware, the devil is about to throw
some of you into prison so that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have
affliction. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. Let anyone who
has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches. Whoever conquers will
not be harmed by the second death.'

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Merciful Lord, strengthen all Christian people by your Holy Spirit
that we may live as a royal priesthood
and a holy nation to the praise of Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Empower us by the gift of your Holy and life-giving Spirit
that we may be transformed into the likeness of Christ
from glory to glory.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Hold in your embrace all who witness to your love
in the service of the poor and needy;
all who minister to the sick and dying;
and all who bring light to those in darkness.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Remember in your mercy all those gone before us
who have been well-pleasing to you from eternity;
preserve in your faith your servants on earth,
guide us to your kingdom,
and grant us your peace at all times.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

We give you thanks
for the whole company of your saints in glory,
with whom in fellowship we join our prayers and praises;
by your grace may we, like them, be made perfect in your love.

Merciful Father,
accept these prayers
for the sake of your Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.