OREMUS: 24 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 23 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, November 24, 2008

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

O Lord, I am not proud;*
 I have no haughty looks.
I do not occupy myself with great matters,*
 or with things that are too hard for me.
But I still my soul and make it quiet,
   like a child upon its mother's breast;*
 my soul is quieted within me.
O Israel, wait upon the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43.15,16,18,19,20c,21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your King.'
Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,
'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.
'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,
'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

FIRST READING [Wisdom 9:1-4, 9-11]:

'O God of my ancestors and Lord of mercy,
who have made all things by your word,
and by your wisdom have formed humankind
to have dominion over the creatures you have made,
and rule the world in holiness and righteousness,
and pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul,
give me the wisdom that sits by your throne,
and do not reject me from among your servants.
With you is wisdom, she who knows your works
and was present when you made the world;
she understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.
Send her forth from the holy heavens,
and from the throne of your glory send her,
that she may labour at my side,
and that I may learn what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
and she will guide me wisely in my actions
and guard me with her glory.'

HYMN
Words: Georg Neumark (1621-1681);
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878)
Music: Wer nur den lieben Gott

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

If thou but suffer God to guide thee
and hope in him through all thy ways,
he'll give thee strength, whate'er betide thee,
and bear thee through the evil days.
who trusts in God's unchanging love
builds on the rock that naught can move.

What can these anxious cares avail thee,
these never-ceasing moans and sighs?
What can it help if thou bewail thee
o'er each dark moment as it flies?
Our cross and trials do but press
the heavier for our bitterness.

Be patient and await his leisure
in cheerful hope, with heart content
To take whate'er thy Father's pleasure
and his discerning love hath sent,
Nor doubt our inmost wants are known
to him who chose us for his own.

God knows full well when times of gladness
shall be the needful thing for thee.
When he has tried thy soul with sadness
and from all guile has found thee free,
he comes to thee all unaware
and makes thee own his loving care.

Nor think amid the fiery trial
that God hath cast thee off unheard,
that he whose hopes meet no denial
must surely be of God preferred.
Time passes and much change doth bring
and sets a bound to everything.

All are alike before the highest;
'tis easy to our God, we know,
to raise thee up, though low thou liest,
to make the rich man poor and low.
True wonders still by him are wrought
who setteth up and brings to naught.

Sing, pray, and keep his ways unswerving,
perform thy duties faithfully,
and trust his word, though undeserving,
thou yet shalt find it true for thee.
God never yet forsook in need
the soul that trusted him indeed.

SECOND READING [Revelation 1:1-8]:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must
soon take place; he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who
testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he
saw.

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the prophecy, and blessed are those
who hear and who keep what is written in it; for the time is near.

John to the seven churches that are in Asia:

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from
the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness,
the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood, and made us to be a
kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion for ever
and ever. Amen.
Look! He is coming with the clouds;
   every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail.
So it is to be. Amen.

'I am the Alpha and the Omega', says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is
to come, the Almighty.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
We pray for the coming of God's kingdom.

You sent your Son to bring news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to captives
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Lord of the Church
hear our prayer,
and make us one in mind and heart
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Jesus, outcast sovereign,
you judge the world
by its care for your sisters and brothers,
the poor, the naked, the prisoner.
Help us to discover your face
in the face of the needy;
and finding you there,
may we find ourselves enriched;
for you are Lord. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship 2</cite, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in Australia.