OREMUS: 23 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 22 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Sunday, November 23, 2008
The Sunday next before Advent
The Last Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13.1,3,4-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.
Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.
For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.
Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.
Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.
God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.
When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.
See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.
Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 11:8-12:8,13-14]:

Even those who live for many years should rejoice in them all; yet let them remember
that the days of darkness will be many. All that comes is vanity.

Rejoice, young man, while you are young, and let your heart cheer you in the days of
your youth. Follow the inclination of your heart and the desire of your eyes, but know
that for all these things God will bring you into judgement.

Banish anxiety from your mind, and put away pain from your body; for youth and the
dawn of life are vanity.

Remember your creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come,
and the years draw near when you will say, 'I have no pleasure in them'; before the
sun and the light and the moon and the stars are darkened and the clouds return with
the rain; on the day when the guards of the house tremble, and the strong men are
bent, and the women who grind cease working because they are few, and those who
look through the windows see dimly; when the doors on the street are shut, and the
sound of the grinding is low, and one rises up at the sound of a bird, and all the
daughters of song are brought low; when one is afraid of heights, and terrors are in the
road; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags itself along and desire fails;
because all must go to their eternal home, and the mourners will go about the streets;
before the silver cord is snapped, and the golden bowl is broken, and the pitcher is
broken at the fountain, and the wheel broken at the cistern, and the dust returns to the
earth as it was, and the breath returns to God who gave it. Vanity of vanities, says the
Teacher; all is vanity.

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for
that is the whole duty of everyone. For God will bring every deed into judgement,
including every secret thing, whether good or evil.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788), 1746
Tune: Gopsal, Darwall's 148th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r026.html

Rejoice the Lord is King!
Your Lord and King adore!
Rejoice, give thanks and sing,
and triumph evermore.
Refrain:
Lift up your heart!
lift up your voice!
Rejoice! again I say, rejoice!

Jesus, the Savior reigns,
the God of truth and love:
when he had purged our stains,
he took his seat above. Refrain

His kingdom cannot fail;
he rules o'er earth and heaven;
the keys of death and hell
are to our Jesus given. Refrain

He sits at God's right hand
till all his foes submit,
and bow to his command,
and fall beneath his feet: Refrain

Rejoice in glorious hope!
Jesus the Judge shall come
and take his servants up
to their eternal home:
We soon shall hear the archangel's voice,
the trump of God shall sound: rejoice!

SECOND READING [Hebrews 13:1-21]:

Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing
that some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those who are in
prison, as though you were in prison with them; those who are being tortured, as
though you yourselves were being tortured. Let marriage be held in honour by all, and
let the marriage bed be kept undefiled; for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.
Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have; for
he has said, 'I will never leave you or forsake you.' So we can say with
confidence,
'The Lord is my helper;
   I will not be afraid.
What can anyone do to me?'

Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the
outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday
and today and for ever. Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings; for it
is well for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by regulations about food, which
have not benefited those who observe them. We have an altar from which those who
officiate in the tent have no right to eat. For the bodies of those animals whose blood
is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin are burned outside
the camp. Therefore Jesus also suffered outside the city gate in order to sanctify the
people by his own blood. Let us then go to him outside the camp and bear the abuse
he endured. For here we have no lasting city, but we are looking for the city that is to
come. Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is,
the fruit of lips that confess his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what
you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls and
will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with sighing for that would
be harmful to you.

Pray for us; we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honourably in
all things. I urge you all the more to do this, so that I may be restored to you very
soon.

Now may the God of peace, who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, the
great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, make you complete
in everything good so that you may do his will, working among us that which is
pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Let us with confidence present our prayers and supplications to the
throne of grace.
We pray for all those in positions of power,
that they may govern with wisdom and integrity,
serving the needs of their people.
May your reign come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church, the sign of your reign,
that it may extend your welcome to people of every
race and background.
May your kingdom come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for Christians of every denomination,
that together we may come to understand
the royal priesthood you bestowed on us in baptism.
May your dominion come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for those whose commitment to truth
brings them into conflict with earthly powers,
that they may have the courage to endure.
May your rule come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for this community of faith,
that attentive to your word
we may always worship in spirit and in truth.
May your reign come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

Loving God,
you have taught us that the power of the heart
is greater than the power of wealth and might.
Hear us as we pray for the fulfilment of your reign.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our King;
to him be glory and power for ever. Amen.

God the Father,
help us to hear the call of Christ the King
and to follow in his service,
whose kingdom has no end;
for he reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, one glory. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession and collect are from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2006. Used with permission.