OREMUS: 22 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 21 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for November 22, 2008

Blessed are you, O God of all gods.
that you gave your beloved Son
in covenant for us.
He lived as we must live;
he died as we must die.
You raised him from death's dark domain,
and set us free to live for ever.
He speaks for us before your throne,
and brings us grace to help in time of need.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Wisdom 7:22-8:1]:

Wisdom, the fashioner of all things, taught me.
There is in her a spirit that is intelligent, holy,
unique, manifold, subtle,
mobile, clear, unpolluted,
distinct, invulnerable, loving the good, keen,
irresistible, beneficent, humane,
steadfast, sure, free from anxiety,
all-powerful, overseeing all,
and penetrating through all spirits
that are intelligent, pure, and altogether subtle.
For wisdom is more mobile than any motion;
because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things.
For she is a breath of the power of God,
and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty;
therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her.
For she is a reflection of eternal light,
a spotless mirror of the working of God,
and an image of his goodness.
Although she is but one, she can do all things,
and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;
in every generation she passes into holy souls
and makes them friends of God, and prophets;
for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom.
She is more beautiful than the sun,
and excels every constellation of the stars.
Compared with the light she is found to be superior,
for it is succeeded by the night,
but against wisdom evil does not prevail.

She reaches mightily from one end of the earth to the other,
and she orders all things well.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1719

Music: Alfreton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t180.html

The heavens declare thy glory, Lord,
in every star thy wisdom shines
but when our eyes behold thy Word,
we read thy Name in fairer lines.

Sun, moon, and stars convey thy praise
round the whole earth, and never stand:
so when thy truth begun its race,
it touched and glanced on every land.

Nor shall thy spreading Gospel rest
till through the world thy truth has run,
till Christ has all the nations blest
that see the light or feel the sun.

Great Sun of Righteousness, arise,
bless the dark world with heavenly light;
thy Gospel makes the simple wise,
thy laws are pure, thy judgments right.

Thy noblest wonders here we view
in souls renewed and sins forgiven;
Lord, cleanse my sins, my soul renew,
and make thy word my guide to heaven.

SECOND READING [Jude]:

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James,

To those who are called, who are beloved in God the Father and kept safe for Jesus
Christ:

May mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance.

Beloved, while eagerly preparing to write to you about the salvation we share, I find it
necessary to write and appeal to you to contend for the faith that was once for all
entrusted to the saints. For certain intruders have stolen in among you, people who
long ago were designated for this condemnation as ungodly, who pervert the grace of
our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Now I desire to remind you, though you are fully informed, that the Lord, who once
for all saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterwards destroyed those who did not
believe. And the angels who did not keep their own position, but left their proper
dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains in deepest darkness for the judgement of the
great day. Likewise, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which, in the
same manner as they, indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural lust, serve
as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Yet in the same way these dreamers also defile the flesh, reject authority, and slander
the glorious ones. But when the archangel Michael contended with the devil and
disputed about the body of Moses, he did not dare to bring a condemnation of slander
against him, but said, 'The Lord rebuke you!' But these people slander whatever they
do not understand, and they are destroyed by those things that, like irrational animals,
they know by instinct. Woe to them! For they go the way of Cain, and abandon
themselves to Balaam's error for the sake of gain, and perish in Korah's rebellion.
These are blemishes on your love-feasts, while they feast with you without fear,
feeding themselves. They are waterless clouds carried along by the winds; autumn
trees without fruit, twice dead, uprooted; wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of
their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the deepest darkness has been reserved
for ever.

It was also about these that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied,
saying, 'See, the Lord is coming with tens of thousands of his holy ones, to execute
judgement on all, and to convict everyone of all the deeds of ungodliness that they
have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly
sinners have spoken against him.' These are grumblers and malcontents; they indulge
their own lusts; they are bombastic in speech, flattering people to their own advantage.

But you, beloved, must remember the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus
Christ; for they said to you, 'In the last time there will be scoffers, indulging their own
ungodly lusts.' It is these worldly people, devoid of the Spirit, who are causing
divisions. But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the
Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God; look forward to the mercy of our
Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on some who are
wavering; save others by snatching them out of the fire; and have mercy on still others
with fear, hating even the tunic defiled by their bodies.

Now to him who is able to keep you from falling, and to make you stand without
blemish in the presence of his glory with rejoicing, to the only God our Saviour,
through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, power, and authority, before all time
and now and for ever. Amen.

Eternal God,
you have declared in Christ
the completion of all your purpose of love.

We pray for those in need:
the tempted and despairing....
the sick and handicapped....
the aged...
and the dying....
the ministries of care and healing....
those who mourn....

Eternal God, we give thanks
for the triumphs of the gospel that herald your salvation
the signs of renewal that declare
the coming of your kingdom,
the human lives that reveal your work of grace....

for all those who have died in faith....

for the unceasing praise of the company of heaven,
the promise to those who mourn
that all tears shall be wiped away,
the pledge of death destroyed and victory won....

for our foretaste of eternal life
through baptism and eucharist,
our hope in the Spirit,
and the communion of saints....

May we live by faith, walk in hope and be renewed in love,
until the world reflects your glory
and you are all in all.
Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen.

God of consolation,
look upon us, pilgrims in a strange land:
preserve us from slander and deceit,
show us the truth
and give to our souls the peace Christ won upon the cross.
To him be glory for ever! Amen

Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church
that in all our words and works
we may serve you better and love you more. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from material found in Book of
Common Order, 1994, The Church of Scotland.