OREMUS: 20 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 19 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Thursday, November 20, 2008
Edmund, King of the East Angles, Martyr, 870

Blessed are you, O God of all gods.
that you gave your beloved Son
in covenant for us.
He lived as we must live;
he died as we must die.
You raised him from death's dark domain,
and set us free to live for ever.
He speaks for us before your throne,
and brings us grace to help in time of need.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21.1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, the dwelling of God is among mortals.
'He will dwell with them and they shall be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them.
'He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.
'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'
And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Wisdom 7:7-14]:

Therefore I prayed, and understanding was given me;
I called on God, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.
I preferred her to sceptres and thrones,
and I accounted wealth as nothing in comparison with her.
Neither did I liken to her any priceless gem,
because all gold is but a little sand in her sight,
and silver will be accounted as clay before her.
I loved her more than health and beauty,
and I chose to have her rather than light,
because her radiance never ceases.
All good things came to me along with her,
and in her hands uncounted wealth.
I rejoiced in them all, because wisdom leads them;
but I did not know that she was their mother.
I learned without guile and I impart without grudging;
I do not hide her wealth,
for it is an unfailing treasure for mortals;
those who get it obtain friendship with God,
commended for the gifts that come from instruction.

HYMN
Words: Ancient Irish hymn;
trans. Mary Byrne, 1905, and versified by Eleanor Hull, 1912
Music: Slane (Irish)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b021.html

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
be thou my whole armor, be thou my true might;
be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
be thou mine inheritance now and always;
be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after victory is won;
great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

SECOND READING [2 Thessalonians 2:13-3:5]:

We must always give thanks to God for you, brothers and sisters beloved by the Lord,
because God chose you as the first fruits for salvation through sanctification by the
Spirit and through belief in the truth. For this purpose he called you through our
proclamation of the good news, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus
Christ. So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you
were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.

Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and
through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and
strengthen them in every good work and word.

Finally, brothers and sisters, pray for us, so that the word of the Lord may spread
rapidly and be glorified everywhere, just as it is among you, and that we may be
rescued from wicked and evil people; for not all have faith. But the Lord is faithful; he
will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one. And we have confidence in the
Lord concerning you, that you are doing and will go on doing the things that we
command. May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness
of Christ.

Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local, especially....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God of all the ages,
the One who is, who was, and who is to come:
stir up within us a longing for your kingdom,
steady our hearts in time of trial,
and grant us patient endurance until the Sun of justice dawns.
We make our prayer through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Eternal God,
whose servant Edmund kept faith to the end,
both with you and with his people,
and glorified you by his death:
grant us such steadfastness of faith
that, with the noble army of martyrs,
we may come to enjoy the fullness of the resurrection life;

Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church
that in all our words and works
we may serve you better and love you more. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from material found in Book of
Common Order, 1994, The Church of Scotland.

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.

When the heathen Anglo-Saxons invaded Christian Britain in the 400's, they
eventually established seven kingdoms: Essex, Wessex, Sussex (East Saxons,
West Saxons, and South Saxons), Mercia, Northumbria, and East Anglia (three
kingdoms of the Angles), and the Jute kingdom of Kent. (The borders between
these ancient kingdoms are still borders between regions speaking English with
different accents today.) Under the influence of missionaries from the Celts and
from continental Europe, these peoples bcame Christian, only to be faced
themselves by a wave of heathen invaders.
Edmund was born about 840, became King of East Anglia in about 855, and in
870 faced a horde of marauding Danes, who moved through the countryside,
burning churches and slaughtering villages wholesale. On reaching East Anglia,
their leaders confronted Edmund and offered him peace on condition that he
would rule as their vassal and forbid the practice of the Christian faith. Edmund
refused this last condition, fought, and was captured. He was ill-treated and
killed. His burial place is the town of Bury St. Edmunds.