OREMUS: 19 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 18 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 19, 2008
Hilda, Abbess of Whitby, 680

Blessed are you, O God of all gods.
that you gave your beloved Son
in covenant for us.
He lived as we must live;
he died as we must die.
You raised him from death's dark domain,
and set us free to live for ever.
He speaks for us before your throne,
and brings us grace to help in time of need.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Wisdom 6:12-21]:

Wisdom is radiant and unfading,
and she is easily discerned by those who love her,
and is found by those who seek her.
She hastens to make herself known to those who desire her.
One who rises early to seek her will have no difficulty,
for she will be found sitting at the gate.
To fix one's thought on her is perfect understanding,
and one who is vigilant on her account will soon be free from care,
because she goes about seeking those worthy of her,
and she graciously appears to them in their paths,
and meets them in every thought.

The beginning of wisdom is the most sincere desire for instruction,
and concern for instruction is love of her,
and love of her is the keeping of her laws,
and giving heed to her laws is assurance of immortality,
and immortality brings one near to God;
so the desire for wisdom leads to a kingdom.

Therefore if you delight in thrones and sceptres, O monarchs over the peoples,
honour wisdom, so that you may reign for ever.

HYMN
Words: William Harry Turton, 1881

Music: Song 1, Sacramentum Unitatis

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o645.html

O thou, who at thy Eucharist didst pray
that all thy Church might be for ever one,
grant us at every Eucharist to say
with longing heart and soul, "thy will be done."
O may we all one Bread, one Body be,
through this blest Sacrament of unity.

For all thy Church, O Lord, we intercede;
make thou our sad divisions soon to cease;
draw us the nearer each to each, we plead,
by drawing all to thee, O Prince of Peace;
thus may we all one Bread, one Body be,
through this blest Sacrament of unity.

We pray thee too for wanderers from thy fold;
O bring them back, good Shepherd of the sheep,
back to the faith which saints believed of old,
back to the Church which still that faith doth keep;
soon may we all one Bread, one Body be,
through this blest Sacrament of unity.

So, Lord, at length when sacraments shall cease,
may we be one with all thy Church above,
one with thy saints in one unbroken peace,
one with thy saints in one unbounded love;
more blessŠd still, in peace and love to be
one with the Trinity in Unity.

SECOND READING [2 Thessalonians 2:1-12]:

As to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we
beg you, brothers and sisters, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by
spirit or by word or by letter, as though from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord
is already here. Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come unless
the rebellion comes first and the lawless one is revealed, the one destined for
destruction. He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of
worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God.
Do you not remember that I told you these things when I was still with you? And you
know what is now restraining him, so that he may be revealed when his time comes.
For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but only until the one who now
restrains it is removed. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord
Jesus will destroy with the breath of his mouth, annihilating him by the manifestation
of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who
uses all power, signs, lying wonders, and every kind of wicked deception for those
who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this
reason God sends them a powerful delusion, leading them to believe what is false, so
that all who have not believed the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness will be
condemned.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Give to us, O God, a heart of joy,
that rests in your peace
and a soul of tranquility that delights in your beauty;
a spirit of glory that sings your praise,
a life of serenity at home in your presence
and a mind of quietness renewed by your Spirit;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God of peace,
by whose grace the abbess Hilda
was endowed with gifts
of justice, prudence, and strength
to rule as a wise mother
over the nuns and monks of her household,
and to become a trusted and reconciling friend
to leaders of the Church:
Give us grace to recognize and accept
the varied gifts you bestow on women and men,
that our common life may be enriched
and your gracious will be done;

Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church
that in all our words and works
we may serve you better and love you more. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from material found in Book of
Common Order, 1994, The Church of Scotland.

Hilda (known in her own century as "Hild") was the grandniece of King Edwin
of Northumbria, a kingdom of the Angles. She was born in 614 and baptized in
627 when the king and his household became Christians. In 647 she decided to
become a nun, and under the direction of Aidan she established several
monasteries. Her last foundation was at Whitby. It was a double house: a
community of men and another of women, with the chapel in between, and
Hilda as the governor of both; and it was a great center of English learning,
one which produced five bishops (during Hilda's lifetime or that of the
Abbey?). Here a stable-boy, Caedmon, was moved to compose religious poems
in the Anglo-Saxon tongue, most of them metrical paraphrases of narratives
from Genesis and the Gospels.
The Celtic peoples of Britain had heard the Gospel well before 300 AD, but in
the 400's and 500's a massive invasion of Germanic peoples (Angles, Jutes, and
Saxons) forced the native Celts out of what is now England and into Wales,
Ireland, and Scotland. The invaders were pagans, and missionaries were sent to
them in the north and west by the Celts, and in the south and east by Rome and
other churches on the continent of Europe.
Roman and Celtic traditions differed, not in doctrine, but on such questions as
the proper way of calculating the date of Easter, and the proper style of haircut
and dress for a monk. It was, in particular, highly desirable that Christians, at
least in the same area, should celebrate Easter at the same time; and it became
clear that the English Church would have to choose between the old Celtic
customs which it had inherited from before 300, and the customs of continental
Europe and in particular of Rome that missionaries from there had brought
with them. In 664 the Synod of Whitby met at that monastery to consider the
matter, and it was decided to follow Roman usage.
Hilda herself greatly preferred the Celtic customs in which she had been reared,
but once the decision had been made she used her moderating influence in
favor of its peaceful acceptance. Her influence was considerable; kings and
commoners alike came to her for advice. She was urgent in promoting the
study of the Scriptures and the thorough education of the clergy. She died 17
November 680. [James Kiefer]