OREMUS: 18 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 17 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Elizabeth of Hungary, Princess of Thuringia, Philanthropist, 1231
Fifteenth Anniversary of Oremus, First Day of Posting, 1993

Blessed are you, O God of all gods.
that you gave your beloved Son
in covenant for us.
He lived as we must live;
he died as we must die.
You raised him from death's dark domain,
and set us free to live for ever.
He speaks for us before your throne,
and brings us grace to help in time of need.

Psalm 106:1-12, 47-48

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who can declare the mighty acts of the Lord*
 or show forth all his praise?
Happy are those who act with justice*
 and always do what is right!
Remember me, O Lord,
   with the favour you have for your people,*
 and visit me with your saving help;
That I may see the prosperity of your elect
   and be glad with the gladness of your people,*
 that I may glory with your inheritance.
We have sinned as our forebears did;*
 we have done wrong and dealt wickedly.
In Egypt they did not consider your marvellous works,
   nor remember the abundance of your love;*
 they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But he saved them for his name's sake,*
 to make his power known.
He rebuked the Red Sea and it dried up,*
 and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
He saved them from the hand of those who hated them*
 and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their oppressors;*
 not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words*
 and sang him songs of praise.
Save us, O Lord our God,
   and gather us from among the nations,*
 that we may give thanks to your holy name
   and glory in your praise.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting and to everlasting;*
 and let all the people say, 'Amen!'
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12.22-24a,28,29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.
We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.
We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.
We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.
We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,
Full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

FIRST READING [Wisdom 6:1-11]:

Listen therefore, O kings, and understand;
learn, O judges of the ends of the earth.
Give ear, you that rule over multitudes,
and boast of many nations.
For your dominion was given you from the Lord,
and your sovereignty from the Most High;
he will search out your works and inquire into your plans.
Because as servants of his kingdom you did not rule rightly,
or keep the law,
or walk according to the purpose of God,
he will come upon you terribly and swiftly,
because severe judgement falls on those in high places.
For the lowliest may be pardoned in mercy,
but the mighty will be mightily tested.
For the Lord of all will not stand in awe of anyone,
or show deference to greatness;
because he himself made both small and great,
and he takes thought for all alike.
But a strict inquiry is in store for the mighty.
To you then, O monarchs, my words are directed,
so that you may learn wisdom and not transgress.
For they will be made holy who observe holy things in holiness,
and those who have been taught them will find a defence.
Therefore set your desire on my words;
long for them, and you will be instructed.

HYMN
Words: Martin Rinkart (1586-1649), 1636
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1858
MIDI: Nun danket alle Gott

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n139.html

Now thank we all our God,
with heart and hands and voices,
who wondrous things hath done,
in whom his world rejoices;
who from our mother's arms
hath blessed us on our way
with countless gifts of love,
and still is ours today.

O may this bounteous God
through all our life be near us,
with ever-joyful hearts
and blessŠd peace to cheer us;
and keep us in his grace,
and guide us when perplexed,
and free us from all ills
in this world and the next.

All praise and thanks to God
the Father now be given,
the Son, and Holy Ghost,
supreme in highest heaven,
the one eternal God,
whom earth and heaven adore;
for thus it was, is now,
and shall be evermore.

SECOND READING [2 Thessalonians 1]:

Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,
To the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

We must always give thanks to God for you, brothers and sisters, as is right, because
your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is
increasing. Therefore we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your
steadfastness and faith during all your persecutions and the afflictions that you are
enduring.

This is evidence of the righteous judgement of God, and is intended to make you
worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering. For it is indeed just
of God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to give relief to the afflicted
as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in
flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do
not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will suffer the punishment of eternal
destruction, separated from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,
when he comes to be glorified by his saints and to be marvelled at on that day among
all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. To this end we
always pray for you, asking that our God will make you worthy of his call and will
fulfil by his power every good resolve and work of faith, so that the name of our Lord
Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and
the Lord Jesus Christ.

God our Father,
you gave your Son, Jesus Christ
to share our life on earth,
to grow in wisdom,
to toil with his hands,
and to make known the ways of your kingdom.

We pray for the community
those who work....
the unemployed....
those in education....
those in research....
those in communications....
those who maintain the life of the community....
the Church, especially

God our Father, we give you thanks
for Christ's revelation of yourself,
his care for people,
and his joy in obedience....
for the value he gave to human labour,
the strength he promised us for service,
the call to follow in his way....
for all opportunities of work and of leisure,
all truth that we have learned,
and all discoveries that we have made....

Give us growing reverence for the truth,
and such wisdom in the use of knowledge
that your kingdom may be advanced
and your name glorified;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Creator of all,
we give you thanks for a world full of wonder,
but above all because you have called us
into a holy fellowship with you and with each other.
Guide us in the ways of your new creation,
rooted and grounded in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
who taught Elizabeth of Hungary
to recognize and reverence Christ
in the poor of this world:
by her example
strengthen us to love and serve
the afflicted and the needy
and so to honour your Son, the servant king,

Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church
that in all our words and works
we may serve you better and love you more. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from material found in Book of
Common Order, 1994, The Church of Scotland.

The numerous "St. Elizabeth's Hospitals" throughout the world are for the
most part named, not for the Biblical Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist,
but for this princess of Hungary. She was concerned for the relief of the poor
and the sick, and with her husband's consent she used her dowry money for
their relief. During a famine and epidemic in 1226, while her husband was away
in Italy, she sold her jewels and established a hospital where she nursed the
sick, and opened the royal granaries to feed the hungry. After her husband's
death in 1227, her inlaws, who opposed her "extravagances," expelled her from
Wartburg. Finally an arrangement was negotiated with them that gave her a
stipend. She became a Franciscan tertiary (lay associate) and devoted the
remainder of her life to nursing and charity. She sewed garments to clothe the
poor, and went fishing to feed them.

Oremus was first devised in November 1993, as a response to a question on
the ANGLICAN email list about how individuals might keep the forthcoming
Advent more effectively.
The intention was and is to make available a form of the "Daily Office",
traditional in format, sufficiently brief and relevant to be used by as many
readers as possible, and not duplicating any other form likely to be already
used by members.
Steve Benner undertook to create the Office and to post it each day, and he did
this for nearly two years, from its first appearance on Thursday, 18 November
1993, until 13 September 1995. For the next fifteen months, Simon Kershaw
compiled the Office, and from 1996-January 1998, Steve Benner and Simon
Kershaw alternated responsibility for the compilation of the Office. Steve has
continued to produce the daily office since January 1998; Simon has since
become responsible for programming the feed for Common Worship - Daily
Prayer (see link on our site).
Oremus serves to nourish each of us in our daily prayer and bible reading; to
introduce more people to the tradition of the Daily Office; to strengthen the
sense of community of the group by the knowledge that our fellow members
are using the same form of prayer, and by our prayers for one another; to
strengthen our Anglican identity in our prayers for the Anglican Communion;
and to greaten our Christian love in our prayers for our fellow Christians and
for all people. While we do this work as a volunteer effort, it requires your support to help
keep it going. Please consider making a donation in support by going to our website.