OREMUS: 16 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 15 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Sunday, November 16, 2008
The Second Sunday before Advent

Blessed are you, O God of all gods.
that you gave your beloved Son
in covenant for us.
He lived as we must live;
he died as we must die.
You raised him from death's dark domain,
and set us free to live for ever.
He speaks for us before your throne,
and brings us grace to help in time of need.

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13.1,3,4-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.
Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.
For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.
Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.
Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.
God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.
When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.
See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.
Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Genesis 19:1-3, 12-17, 24-28]:

The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of
Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them, and bowed down with his face to
the ground. He said, 'Please, my lords, turn aside to your servant's house and spend
the night, and wash your feet; then you can rise early and go on your way.' They said,
'No; we will spend the night in the square.' But he urged them strongly; so they turned
aside to him and entered his house; and he made them a feast, and baked unleavened
bread, and they ate.

Then the men said to Lot, 'Have you anyone else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters,
or anyone you have in the city bring them out of the place. For we are about to
destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the
Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.' So Lot went out and said to his
sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, 'Up, get out of this place; for the Lord
is about to destroy the city.' But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be jesting.

When morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, 'Get up, take your wife and your
two daughters who are here, or else you will be consumed in the punishment of the
city.' But he lingered; so the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the
hand, the Lord being merciful to him, and they brought him out and left him outside
the city. When they had brought them outside, they said, 'Flee for your life; do not
look back or stop anywhere in the Plain; flee to the hills, or else you will be
consumed.'

Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulphur and fire from the Lord out of
heaven; and he overthrew those cities, and all the Plain, and all the inhabitants of the
cities, and what grew on the ground. But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she
became a pillar of salt.

Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before the Lord;
and he looked down towards Sodom and Gomorrah and towards all the land of the
Plain, and saw the smoke of the land going up like the smoke of a furnace.

HYMN
Words: Henry Burton, 1904

Music: Christchurch

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b179.html

Break, day of God, O break!
The night has lingered long;
our hearts with sighing wake,
we weep for sin and wrong:
O bright and Morning Star, draw near;
O Sun of Righteousness, appear.

Break, day of God, O break!
The earth with strife is worn;
the hills with thunder shake,
hearts of the people mourn:
break, day of God, sweet day of peace,
and bid the shout of warriors cease.

Break, day of God, O break!
Like to the days above!
Let purity awake,
and faith, and hope, and love;
but lo! we see the brightening sky;
the golden morn is drawing nigh.

SECOND READING [Luke 17:20-end]:

Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he
answered, 'The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; nor
will they say, "Look, here it is!" or "There it is!" For, in fact, the kingdom of God is
among you.'

Then he said to the disciples, 'The days are coming when you will long to see one of
the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. They will say to you, "Look
there!" or "Look here!" Do not go, do not set off in pursuit. For as the lightning
flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in
his day. But first he must endure much suffering and be rejected by this generation.
Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of Man. They
were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day
Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them. Likewise, just as
it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting
and building, but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulphur from
heaven and destroyed all of them  it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man
is revealed. On that day, anyone on the housetop who has belongings in the house
must not come down to take them away; and likewise anyone in the field must not turn
back. Remember Lot's wife. Those who try to make their life secure will lose it, but
those who lose their life will keep it. I tell you, on that night there will be two in one
bed; one will be taken and the other left. There will be two women grinding meal
together; one will be taken and the other left.' Then they asked him, 'Where, Lord?'
He said to them, 'Where the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.'

Let us bring our prayers to the Lord, the God of wisdom, love and truth.

We pray for the world leaders as they meet in Washington: that in their discussions
and decisions they may be guided by a true concern for the needs of the world and the
whole of humankind.

We pray for prisoners, for their families, for prison staff and chaplains, and for all
victims of crime: may they be freed from fear and isolation, and supported with love;
may our society give adequate resources to the work of reconciliation and
rehabilitation.

We pray for all those who are unemployed, or who face the loss of their jobs and
security as a result of the world's economic problems: may they be enabled to find new
work, and be given hope for the future.

We pray for all children, especially those who live in difficult and dangerous situations,
that they may have the care and protection they need; for parents, teachers and social
workers, that they may be filled with wisdom and love for those in their care.

We pray for the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo, suffering as a result of
the conflict in their country: that there may be reconciliation and justice in that land.

We pray for the people who are fleeing the fires in southern California and for all who
are fighting to stop their spread.

We pray for the people of Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan and all the troubled places of our
world, and for all those who are working to bring peace.

Heavenly Father, we ask you to hear the prayers that we offer through your Son, Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

Everliving God,
before the earth was formed
and even after it shall cease to be, you are God:
Break into our short span of life
and show us those things that are eternal,
that we may serve your purpose in all we do;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Send your Holy Spirit upon your Church
that in all our words and works
we may serve you better and love you more. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing prayer are adapted from material found in Book of
Common Order, 1994, The Church of Scotland.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers The collect is from
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.