OREMUS: 15 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 14 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Saturday, November 15, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
for all the saints
who have gone before us,
who have spoken to our hearts,
and have touched us with your fire.
Blessed are you, O God,
for all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weakness and strengths
are woven with our own.
Blessed are you, O God,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:11-end]:

Surely, this commandment that I am commanding you today is not too hard for you,
nor is it too far away. It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to
heaven for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe it?' Neither is it
beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross to the other side of the sea for us,
and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe it?' No, the word is very near to
you; it is in your mouth and in your heart for you to observe.

See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity. If you obey
the commandments of the Lord your God that I am commanding you today, by loving
the Lord your God, walking in his ways, and observing his commandments, decrees,
and ordinances, then you shall live and become numerous, and the Lord your God will
bless you in the land that you are entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and
you do not hear, but are led astray to bow down to other gods and serve them, I
declare to you today that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land that you
are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. I call heaven and earth to witness against
you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life
so that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying him,
and holding fast to him; for that means life to you and length of days, so that you may
live in the land that the Lord swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac,
and to Jacob.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Olivers (1725-1799), 1770
MIDI: Leoni

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t149.html

The God of Abraham praise,
who reigns enthroned above;
Ancient of everlasting days,
and God of love;
Jehovah, great I AM,
by earth and heaven confessed:
I bow and bless the sacred Name
for ever blessed.

The God of Abraham praise,
at whose supreme command
from earth we rise, and seek the joys
at his right hand;
we all on earth forsake,
its wisdom, fame and power;
and him our only portion make,
our Shield and Tower.

The goodly land we see,
with peace and plenty blessed:
a land of sacred liberty
and endless rest;
there milk and honey flow,
and oil and wine abound,
and trees of life for ever grow,
with mercy crowned.

There dwells the Lord, our King,
the Lord, our Righteousness,
triumphant o'er the world and sin,
the Prince of Peace;
on Zion's sacred height
his kingdom he maintains,
and, glorious with his saints in light,
for ever reigns.

The God who reigns on high,
the great archangels sing,
and "Holy, holy, holy," cry,
"Almighty King!"
Who was and is the same,
and evermore shall be:
Jehovah, Father, great I AM,
we worship thee."

The whole triumphant host
give thanks to God on high;
"Hail, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost"
they ever cry;
hail, Abraham's God and mine;
I join the heavenly lays;
all might and majesty are thine,
and endless praise!

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 5:1-11]:

Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters, you do not need to
have anything written to you. For you yourselves know very well that the day of the
Lord will come like a thief in the night. When they say, 'There is peace and security',
then sudden destruction will come upon them, as labour pains come upon a pregnant
woman, and there will be no escape! But you, beloved, are not in darkness, for that
day to surprise you like a thief; for you are all children of light and children of the day;
we are not of the night or of darkness. So then, let us not fall asleep as others do, but
let us keep awake and be sober; for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who are
drunk get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on
the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has
destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep we may live with him.
Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,
move us today. Amen.

The psalms and collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray),

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Janet Morley. The closing prayer is from
the Pray Now website, http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer9.htm

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.