OREMUS: 13 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 12 17:17:54 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Thursday, November 13, 2008
Charles Simeon, Pastor, Evangelical Divine, 1836

Blessed are you, O God.
for all the saints
who have gone before us,
who have spoken to our hearts,
and have touched us with your fire.
Blessed are you, O God,
for all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weakness and strengths
are woven with our own.
Blessed are you, O God,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21.1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, the dwelling of God is among mortals.
'He will dwell with them and they shall be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them.
'He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.
'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'
And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 28:1-14]:

If you will only obey the Lord your God, by diligently observing all his commandments
that I am commanding you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the
nations of the earth; all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you
obey the Lord your God:

Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field.

Blessed shall be the fruit of your womb, the fruit of your ground, and the fruit of your
livestock, both the increase of your cattle and the issue of your flock.

Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading-bowl.

Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before you; they
shall come out against you one way, and flee before you seven ways. The Lord will
command the blessing upon you in your barns, and in all that you undertake; he will
bless you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. The Lord will establish you
as his holy people, as he has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord
your God and walk in his ways. All the peoples of the earth shall see that you are
called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you. The Lord will make
you abound in prosperity, in the fruit of your womb, in the fruit of your livestock, and
in the fruit of your ground in the land that the Lord swore to your ancestors to give
you. The Lord will open for you his rich storehouse, the heavens, to give the rain of
your land in its season and to bless all your undertakings. You will lend to many
nations, but you will not borrow. The Lord will make you the head, and not the tail;
you shall be only at the top, and not at the bottom if you obey the commandments of
the Lord your God, which I am commanding you today, by diligently observing them,
and if you do not turn aside from any of the words that I am commanding you today,
either to the right or to the left, following other gods to serve them.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Bridegroom

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n056.html

Not for tongues of heaven's angels,
not for wisdom to discern,
not for faith that masters mountains,
for this better gift we yearn:
may love be ours, O Lord.

Love is humble, love is gentle,
love is tender, true, and kind;
love is gracious, ever patient,
generous of heart and mind:
may love be ours, O Lord.

Never jealous, never selfish,
love will not rejoice in wrong;
never boastful nor resentful,
love believes and suffers long:
may love be ours, O Lord.

In the day this world is fading,
faith and hope will play their part;
but when Christ is seen in glory,
love shall reign in every heart:
may love be ours, O Lord.

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 4:1-12]:

Finally, brothers and sisters, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus that, as you
learned from us how you ought to live and to please God (as, in fact, you are doing),
you should do so more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you
through the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you
abstain from fornication; that each one of you knows how to control your own body in
holiness and honour, not with lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God;
that no one wrongs or exploits a brother or sister in this matter, because the Lord is an
avenger in all these things, just as we have already told you beforehand and solemnly
warned you. For God did not call us to impurity but in holiness. Therefore whoever
rejects this rejects not human authority but God, who also gives his Holy Spirit to you.

Now concerning love of the brothers and sisters, you do not need to have anyone
write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another; and
indeed you do love all the brothers and sisters throughout Macedonia. But we urge
you, beloved, to do so more and more, to aspire to live quietly, to mind your own
affairs, and to work with your hands, as we directed you, so that you may behave
properly towards outsiders and be dependent on no one.

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...

O God,
you create order out of our chaos,
you turn over our neatly-ordered plans:
Send your revolutionary Holy Spirit into our lives,
that in all we do we may follow you;
through Jesus Christ, the giver of true freedom. Amen.

Eternal God,
who raised up Charles Simeon
to preach the good news of Jesus Christ
and inspire your people in service and mission:
grant that we with all your Church may worship the Saviour,
turn in sorrow from our sins and walk in the way of holiness;

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,
move us today. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Janet Morley. The closing prayer is from
the Pray Now website, http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer9.htm

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The first collect is by Stephen Benner, 2004. The second collect is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Two hundred years ago, students at the English Universities were required to
attend church regularly, and to receive the Holy Communion at least once a
year. This latter requirement often had bad effects, in that it encouraged
hypocrisy and an irreverent reception of the sacrament. Occasionally, however,
it had a very good effect, as with the Cambridge student Charles Simeon. He
wrote:
"On 29 January 1779 I came to college. On 2 February I understood that at
division of term I must attend the Lord's Supper. The Provost absolutely
required it. Conscience told me that, if I must go, I must repent and turn to
God."
By this experience his life was transformed. Upon finishing his college work he
was ordained, and shortly appointed chaplain of Holy Trinity, Cambridge,
where he remained for 55 years, until shortly before his death on 12 November
1836. His ministry helped to transform the lives of many undergraduates, of
whom we may mention two in particular. Henry Martyn, inspired by Simeon,
abandoned his intention of going into law and instead devoted his life and his
considerable talents to preaching the Gospel in India and Persia. William
Wilberforce, also led in part by Simeon's ministry of teaching and example,
devoted his life to the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire.
Simeon's enthusiasm and zeal brought him much ridicule and abuse, which he
bore uncomplainingly. Though he himself remained in one place, his influence
extended through the Anglican world. [James Kiefer]