OREMUS: 12 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 11 20:55:58 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
for all the saints
who have gone before us,
who have spoken to our hearts,
and have touched us with your fire.
Blessed are you, O God,
for all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weakness and strengths
are woven with our own.
Blessed are you, O God,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them.

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 26:1-13]:

When you have come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you as an
inheritance to possess, and you possess it, and settle in it, you shall take some of the
first of all the fruit of the ground, which you harvest from the land that the Lord your
God is giving you, and you shall put it in a basket and go to the place that the Lord
your God will choose as a dwelling for his name. You shall go to the priest who is in
office at that time, and say to him, 'Today I declare to the Lord your God that I have
come into the land that the Lord swore to our ancestors to give us.' When the priest
takes the basket from your hand and sets it down before the altar of the Lord your
God, you shall make this response before the Lord your God: 'A wandering Aramean
was my ancestor; he went down into Egypt and lived there as an alien, few in number,
and there he became a great nation, mighty and populous. When the Egyptians treated
us harshly and afflicted us, by imposing hard labour on us, we cried to the Lord, the
God of our ancestors; the Lord heard our voice and saw our affliction, our toil, and
our oppression. The Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an
outstretched arm, with a terrifying display of power, and with signs and wonders; and
he brought us into this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey.
So now I bring the first of the fruit of the ground that you, O Lord, have given me.'
You shall set it down before the Lord your God and bow down before the Lord your
God. Then you, together with the Levites and the aliens who reside among you, shall
celebrate with all the bounty that the Lord your God has given to you and to your
house.

When you have finished paying all the tithe of your produce in the third year (which is
the year of the tithe), giving it to the Levites, the aliens, the orphans, and the widows,
so that they may eat their fill within your towns, then you shall say before the Lord
your God: 'I have removed the sacred portion from the house, and I have given it to
the Levites, the resident aliens, the orphans, and the widows, in accordance with your
entire commandment that you commanded me; I have neither transgressed nor
forgotten any of your commandments.'

HYMN
Words: Henry Alford, 1867
Music: Alford

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t039.html

Ten thousand times ten thousand
in sparkling raiment bright,
the armies of the ransomed saints
throng up the steeps of light;
'tis finished, all is finished,
their fight with death and sin;
fling open wide the golden gates,
and let the victors in.

What rush of alleluias
fills all the earth and sky!
what ringing of a thousand harps
bespeaks the triumph nigh!
O day, for which creation
and all its tribes were made;
O joy, for all its former woes
a thousandfold repaid!

O then what raptured greetings
on Canaan's happy shore;
what knitting severed friendships up
where partings are no more!
Then eyes with joy shall sparkle,
that brimmed with tears of late;
orphans no longer fatherless,
nor widows desolate.

Bring near thy great salvation,
thou Lamb for sinners slain;
fill up the roll of thine elect,
then take thy power, and reign;
appear, Desire of nations,
thine exiles long for home;
show in the heaven thy promised sign;
thou Prince and Savior, come.

SECOND READING [1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:13]:

As for us, brothers and sisters, when, for a short time, we were made orphans by being
separated from you in person, not in heart we longed with great eagerness to see
you face to face. For we wanted to come to you certainly I, Paul, wanted to again
and again but Satan blocked our way. For what is our hope or joy or crown of
boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? Yes, you are our glory
and joy!

Therefore when we could bear it no longer, we decided to be left alone in Athens; and
we sent Timothy, our brother and co-worker for God in proclaiming the gospel of
Christ, to strengthen and encourage you for the sake of your faith, so that no one
would be shaken by these persecutions. Indeed, you yourselves know that this is what
we are destined for. In fact, when we were with you, we told you beforehand that we
were to suffer persecution; so it turned out, as you know. For this reason, when I
could bear it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith; I was afraid that somehow
the tempter had tempted you and that our labour had been in vain.

But Timothy has just now come to us from you, and has brought us the good news of
your faith and love. He has told us also that you always remember us kindly and long
to see us just as we long to see you. For this reason, brothers and sisters, during all
our distress and persecution we have been encouraged about you through your faith.
For we now live, if you continue to stand firm in the Lord. How can we thank God
enough for you in return for all the joy that we feel before our God because of you?
Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you face to face and restore
whatever is lacking in your faith.

Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you. And
may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as
we abound in love for you. And may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you
may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all
his saints.

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession,
that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.
Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us:
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, King of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high:
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of man, drawing humanity into the life of God:
pray for your brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection:
pray for all who are dying,
that they may trust in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe:
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us for
work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, first-fruits of the new creation,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
until you bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

God the Father,
help us to hear the call of Christ the King
and to follow in his service,
whose kingdom has no end;
for he reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, one glory. Amen.

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,
move us today. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Janet Morley. The closing prayer is from
the Pray Now website, http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer9.htm

The intercession and collect are from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2006. Used with permission.